Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 08:27 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Love love Katz and every t8me we go there I ask myself why we don’t come more often.
We agreed long ago that at $50 a sandwich that would be out cutoff point.
It’s such a hassle to drive out there and park though, which is why we go once a year if that.
Katz ships across the country! I got it last year for my husband's birthday. If I remember correctly, they don't charge for shipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2023, 08:31 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Katz ships across the country! I got it last year for my husband's birthday. If I remember correctly, they don't charge for shipping.
I’m 45 min from them it’s not a big deal. I’m in city every day, just who wants to go to downtown.

Old 04-22-2023, 08:12 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
In Virginia we have a pizza maker from Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. It's the best pizza!

For bread, bagels and Chinese once you leave Brooklyn/Manhattan, its all downhill. There is one exception for Chinese - Blue Orchid in Westwood, MA.
I had good Sichuan food in Albany. There is a Chinese community there.

Old 04-22-2023, 08:52 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
FINALLY, finally! Someone else shares my sentiment. I just don't get the hoopla people make about Italian food. I've had Italian food in various restaurants and even in Little Italiy two decades ago when there were still Italians there...and I found nothing spectacular about the food. Nothing.

I used to have an Italian coworker and one day we went to her house (Long Island) for lunch. There was a table full of food for just her and her BF. I tasted the various foods but the only thing that left me with a positive impression was the prosciutto. Even with that, I've only had it about twice since that time (over a 15 year period).
I'd say at this point, Italian American cuisine has very little in common with Italian cuisine. If I had to sum it up, Italian American cuisine is very heavy whereas Italian cuisine is fairly light. Cuisine in Italy is also much more diverse.

Old 04-22-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Dallas BBQ is horrible. I couldn't understand for the life of me why they were so packed.
Dallas BBQ = Red Lobster. They're targeting the same demographic.

Old 04-22-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Dino BBQ ?? It’s like Panera of bbq.
So many better bbq joints all around.

John brown in LIC. To start .
Quote:
If it’s the same Dinosaur BBQ I had on upper east side years ago then im not impressed. Dallas sucks. Obviously.

I don’t got to Brooklyn often anymore. But in LIC my spot is John brown.
On LI it’s Old Fields bbq.

When I have time I smoke my own ribs and brisket. Comes out great.

Been to Fette Sau?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I was at Fette Sau years ago. It’s good. But Hometown BBQ in Red Hook is actually one of the best BBQ joints I have ever been to nationwide.
BBQ isn't hard to do but most in NYC is terrible while also charging NYC steakhouse prices. They're basically laughing at their customers.

I have family in MO/OK. First thing I do when I visit is get some BBQ and country fried steak. I haven't been to a BBQ place in NYC in over 7 years but I can't imagine what they charge now.

Old 04-23-2023, 03:07 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
BBQ isn't hard to do but most in NYC is terrible while also charging NYC steakhouse prices. They're basically laughing at their customers.

I have family in MO/OK. First thing I do when I visit is get some BBQ and country fried steak. I haven't been to a BBQ place in NYC in over 7 years but I can't imagine what they charge now.
It’s not that expensive.
If you only knew how much a full brisket it and what it costs to smoke it’s for 12~15 hours.

Old 04-23-2023, 05:53 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Go to Hometown and report back. I’ve been to BBQ joints and festivals/competitions all over the country. Hometown is one of the best.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-23-2023, 06:57 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had good Sichuan food in Albany. There is a Chinese community there.
Sichuan Jin River in Rockville, MD is still our all time favorite. We love us some NYC area Chinese, too, but this place takes the cake.

Old 04-23-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It’s not that expensive.
If you only knew how much a full brisket it and what it costs to smoke it’s for 12~15 hours.
The prices they charge in NYC is expensive for what it is. The first time I went to MO/OK, it was literally a third of the cost. I'm not saying they shouldn't. Labor and overhead are expensive in NYC and that's why I don't really go to restaurants here on my own. I leave that to corporate outings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Go to Hometown and report back. I’ve been to BBQ joints and festivals/competitions all over the country. Hometown is one of the best.
I've been to Hometown. It's good but it should be good for the prices they charge. If I told you a $150K car is a great car, would you be surprised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City