Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 11:33 AM

445 posts, read 322,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
None
I believe it's spelled "Naan"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 01:35 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
The days of NYC food dominance are over. Other than some odd ethnic foods, you can find everything nearly everywhere now, and just as good (sometimes better).

When I moved to NJ, the one thing I was sad about was pizza. Since, I’ve been blown away by the quality here. With the migration of people comes migration of food and quality.

While I missed specific restaurants, even that is fading as most of them are closed or closing because NYC went full-retard on Covid restrictions, nearly destroying the industry.

If I really had to stretch, I’d say sandwiches. There’s still 1-2 sandwich shops I used to frequent that I’ve yet to find equals for.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-12-2023, 02:26 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,958,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The days of NYC food dominance are over. Other than some odd ethnic foods, you can find everything nearly everywhere now, and just as good (sometimes better).

When I moved to NJ, the one thing I was sad about was pizza. Since, I’ve been blown away by the quality here. With the migration of people comes migration of food and quality.

While I missed specific restaurants, even that is fading as most of them are closed or closing because NYC went full-retard on Covid restrictions, nearly destroying the industry.

If I really had to stretch, I’d say sandwiches. There’s still 1-2 sandwich shops I used to frequent that I’ve yet to find equals for.
NJ has some great pizza, I'll even say that New Haven style in CT works for me. I'll take Tri-state area pizza over Boston area any day.

Your post reminded me of Delis and Diners. Although every city has delis and diners, I feel like NYC diner and deli culture (although fading fast) is still great. I'd never do fast food chains in NYC, with some terrific diner and deli options all over the place.

Old 04-12-2023, 02:30 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

Spot on. NYC pizza is trash for the most part. How can it be good when Mexicans and Albanians mostly make the pizza? Nothing against Mexicans and Albanians but Imagine Italians making Mexican or Chinese food? Would anyone even pretend that it’s be “great”? Pizza is better in NJ, CT, and even LI.

Due to cost of labor and rent, restaurant /takeout food in NYC has become mostly trash unless you’re willing to fork over a hefty premium for some of the better restaurants.

There are a few niche cuisines that NYC is still superior in only because they’re not around in any meaningful way anywhere else in the US.

Old 04-12-2023, 03:02 PM

96 posts, read 35,830 times
There is a lot about restaurants I can do without. I can care less about almost all restaurants. You know what I like: picnics in the park. Bottle of wine out there. Fresh air. Feeding each other without anybody waiting on you. Just live with it.

I know a place with a $28 hoagie but to be honest I can get all the same items at Trader Joes. I even questioned the guy running the hoagie shop: Why are there so many people in here? The place was packed and I asked why’s it so expensive? He replied: because none of these kids know how to cook and make their own food anymore. The place was crammed full of rich 20 something liberal transplants paying $25 per hoagie without blinking an eye.

Trader Joes sells it all right there. Maybe the pickles are better at the sandwich shops.

To be fair you cannot really beat Katz Delicatessen. You are not going to be able to just whip something like that up at home. But last time I was there I got a pastrami on rye, cole slaw and baked beans. It must have been nearly $60 just for that, plus the tip and the taxes and everything else. That price is definitely unsettling.

There are a few other old school places that I will not mention here but they are for special occasions.

Also I have personal dislike seeing illegal workers hired at restaurants, including the delivery workers, and my guess is they are the sole reason the entire restaurant industry in NYC is so bad nowadays.

Old 04-12-2023, 03:09 PM

1,035 posts, read 674,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochita View Post
Pizza and doubles.
Doubles is something I discovered two years ago Singh’s on Liberty Ave in Richmond Hill

But it doesn’t fill me up so I would take a good pizza slice and two doubles.

Old 04-12-2023, 04:36 PM

5,833 posts, read 2,955,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Doubles is something I discovered two years ago Singh’s on Liberty Ave in Richmond Hill

But it doesn’t fill me up so I would take a good pizza slice and two doubles.
What’s doubles ?

Old 04-12-2023, 04:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 674,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
What’s doubles ?
It’s either Guyanese or Trini street food. Chickpeas between two pieces of warm soft flat bread. The chickpeas already have a nice flavor, probably Indian. But if you agree to put ‘everything on it, they add some chutneys on the chickpeas too. Then wrap it in paper. It’s messy but ridiculously cheap. Two years ago one doubles was $1 at Singh’s on Liberty Ave. I used to go to that part of Queens for work a lot and got tipped to it by a coworker. Now it’s $1.50; most people will probably eat 2-3 of those, like tacos.

Old 04-12-2023, 05:08 PM

5,833 posts, read 2,955,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
It’s either Guyanese or Trini street food. Chickpeas between two pieces of warm soft flat bread. The chickpeas already have a nice flavor, probably Indian. But if you agree to put ‘everything on it, they add some chutneys on the chickpeas too. Then wrap it in paper. It’s messy but ridiculously cheap. Two years ago one doubles was $1 at Singh’s on Liberty Ave. I used to go to that part of Queens for work a lot and got tipped to it by a coworker. Now it’s $1.50; most people will probably eat 2-3 of those, like tacos.
Not sure I’d trust any food that costs $1.50

Old 04-12-2023, 05:11 PM

6,433 posts, read 4,926,582 times
Pressed Rat and Warthog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fHO5cCfI04
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City