Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 06:28 AM

5,813 posts, read 2,943,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Dumplings? It's a transplant fad. Same as $40 bowls of ramen.
Dumplings are ubiquitous in NYC since many cultures have their own variation.
Try dumplings from Georgia. Called Hinkali, my favorite food in the world. Few places I can recommend in city and Brooklyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 06:30 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,218,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
I’ve never had bomb Italian noodles in NYC. The reason why is I am not a foodie and I have not time to just try tons of subpar places trying to find what is best.

If you go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes, and make it at home, it’s basically good enough as far as I know. Plus a $8 bottle of red and toast some garlic bread. At home.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not cheap either because I appreciate nice experiences. But I am not going to experiment and spend $2,000 worth of restaurant receipts just to find some diamond in the rough.

A bowl of noodles, pasta sauce, piece of nice cheese and bottle of wine should be $30 grocery bill for two people at home. That includes maybe a few specialty ingredients from an Italian market:
Noodles. Hoagies. Where are you a transplant from Bad Water? No NY'er uses those terms.

Hoagie is a Philly/PA thing.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I love Pio Pio, and the Peruvian chicken places I've tried elsewhere have simply not compared. The Matador combo there is always my go to.

I will say that, living in Honolulu, the pizza is only average at best, but it's not one of those things that I truly crave for to make much of a difference, though every now and then I do get a real craving for a good slice.

For me--and acknowledging that I can get this elsewhere, too, but I write about it here as I grew up eating it in NYC--I've been longing for good West African, good Indian, and a nice hero/sub. Those are some things that I try to find whenever I'm back on the mainland, and particularly back in NYC.
True story, went to Peru many years ago to explore, imagine my surprise when I didn’t find anything that resembled Pio Pio type chicken /green sauce there. Food there didn’t blow me away, but the ceviche I had in a restaurant by the beach was insane.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:18 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Noodles. Hoagies. Where are you a transplant from Bad Water? No NY'er uses those terms.

Hoagie is a Philly/PA thing.
I was going to say the same thing. This person is not a NY'er.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2023, 08:08 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,141 times
Italian Food, all of it.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:19 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
When I moved to NJ, the one thing I was sad about was pizza. Since, I’ve been blown away by the quality here. With the migration of people comes migration of food and quality.
Where, and have you found equivalent Italian bakeries? I moved to Jersey for a year in the late nineties, and I couldn't take the food/lack of availability, so I moved to the Island.

I know that things have improved since then...

To the OP's point: I now live in the Charlotte area, where the food scene is poor: it sucks, especially when compared to smaller Greenville SC.

I miss:

- Real pickles

- Charbroiled diner burgers

- Smoked pork fried rice; most areas outside of NYC metro don't smoke the pork.

- Italian bakeries

- The mozzarella in the South is substandard: flavorless/oily. My favorite pizza was Gino's in Howard Beach.

- I also miss real delicatessens.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Where, and have you found equivalent Italian bakeries? I moved to Jersey for a year in the late nineties, and I couldn't take the food/lack of availability, so I moved to the Island.

To the OP's point: I now live in the Charlotte area, where the food scene is poor: it sucks, especially when compared to smaller Greenville SC.

I miss:

- Real pickles

- Italian bakeries

- The mozzarella in the South is substandard: flavorless/oily. My favorite pizza was Gino's in Howard Beach.

Gino is better than New Park? I’m gonna go this weeekend to try.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:29 AM

445 posts, read 319,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

I miss:

- Real pickles

- Italian bakeries

Calandra's bakery in Fairfield, NJ rivals any that I have ever been to. Absolutely top notch bread, rolls, and pastries. Makes sense as it is the highest % Italian town in the nation.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:50 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Spot on. NYC pizza is trash for the most part. How can it be good when Mexicans and Albanians mostly make the pizza? Nothing against Mexicans and Albanians but Imagine Italians making Mexican or Chinese food? Would anyone even pretend that it’s be “great”? Pizza is better in NJ, CT, and even LI.

Due to cost of labor and rent, restaurant /takeout food in NYC has become mostly trash unless you’re willing to fork over a hefty premium for some of the better restaurants.

There are a few niche cuisines that NYC is still superior in only because they’re not around in any meaningful way anywhere else in the US.
There are a number of Italian owned places I eat at where the head chef may be Italian, but he has Mexicans or other Latinos working under him. If the ingredients are of quality and they are trained properly, they can make a quality product just like any of us Italians can. I eat a lot of pizza and there are a few places owned by Italians, but where they train Latinos and the product is just as good as when the owner makes it. In other words, very few places are run with just Italians, unless they are able to hire them direct from Italy. Only a handful of such places and even then the entire staff will not be Italian. That said, I have eaten at some good Italian restaurants and pizzerias here with the owner being from Italy or being Italian-American and trained in Italy, but as good as they are, they still cannot compare to what you get in Italy, simply because of how much has to be imported from there and some things grown there are just better because of the climate, soil, etc. You can get quality here, but you will pay much more here.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There are a number of Italian owned places I eat at where the head chef may be Italian, but he has Mexicans or other Latinos working under him. If the ingredients are of quality and they are trained properly, they can make a quality product just like any of us Italians can. I eat a lot of pizza and there are a few places owned by Italians but where they train Latinos and the product is just as good as when the owner makes it. In other words, very few places are run with just Italians, unless they are able to hire them direct from Italy. Only a handful of such places and even then the entire staff will not be Italian. That said, I have eaten at some good Italian restaurants and pizzerias here with the owner being from Italy or being Italian-American and trained in Italy, but as good as they are, they still cannot compare to what you get in Italy, simply because of how much has to be imported from there and some things grown there are just better because of the climate, soil, etc. You can get quality here, but you will pay much more here.
Try New park .
Always was a Italian crew of 4- 5 people behind the counter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City