Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 05:05 PM

3,489 posts, read 1,407,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
When we do staycations in NYC, it's mostly due to interest in distinctive neighborhoods rather than for Midtown/Downtown and when it doesn't line up well with work time to be traveling around as they're generally random weekend things for us that's occasionally overlapping into work days where we commute from such. I can sort of see a standard touristy mainstay staycation, but I reckon it's a relative rarity for people living in New York to do a staycation for sightseeing complete with doing a stay outside of their own home in a hotel or some sort of short term rental. I'm not dismissing the idea, just saying that it's not something I've done before or heard of others doing. We've put up relatives in fancy hotels in central parts of the city and sort of joined them and when we were younger and partying more, we'd occasionally rent a hotel room in the general area where we're out in case anyone needs to use it and as a base of sorts which in some sense is similar to what Hefe mentioned though instead of plays/shows it was clubs. I also reckon the idea might be more tempting to some if one lives further away or from a less accessible location to Midtown on down Manhattan.

Now that I think about it, it might be fun to stay overnight if there's a Broadway show that seems particularly appealing, so maybe I'll take that from this thread.

I don't mean staying at a hotel in the city. I assume when you say "staycation", you already live in the NYC area. So why not just stay at your home and then commute by train to wherever you want to go? Of course, that means you will have to deal with the rush hour crowd, so that can be annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 05:42 PM

245 posts, read 342,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Haven't taken a vacation in over 40 years.
Sacrificed and Pooled that unspent money to purchase my home.

There are many things you can do.
Hiking,Picnicking,Bird watching, simply enjoying Mother Nature thru some of the largest Parks in the 5 boroughs.
The Sandy Beaches, Brighton,Coney, Rockaways amenities, food,drink, concerts.
The Walkways, Promenade,Belt Parkway Walkway, break a sweat while biking or simply enjoying the ocean breeeze.
Fishing out of Cross Bay Blvd Howard Beach, Emmons Avenue Brooklyn. Captain Mike was a favorite for years.
Sports Activities, Golf ranges, Batting Ranges,Shooting Ranges scattered thruout the city.
Amusement Parks Coney Island but of Course.
Plenty of Museums, Science Halls, Art galleries to enjoy.
Summer time Flea Markets and garage sales all over the 5 boros.

This is just a short list that immediately popped into my head.
Try scheduling one event for each day. Above all have fun.
Best wishes.

I csnt imagine not taking a vacation for a year but 40???? For a house??? Wow...

Old 09-30-2023, 03:14 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I don't understand why a native wouldn't be able to staycation in NYC when it's a hugely popular vacation destination elsewhere, or at least where I live. In fact, people make multiple forays because it's impossible to see and do everything in all five boroughs in one trip. (As for the hop on, hop off bus, I've heard of people hopping off and never seeing it again.)

Have you really seen and done everything NYC has to offer, or do you just not care to?

As for Mr. Retired, you can certainly find ways to take short, local, cheap vacations, and staycations are one of them (you can even return to your own bed at night while doing day trips for a week). But maybe you're just a homebody!

Old 09-30-2023, 05:12 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Default Staycations are Wonderful!

Book a nice hotel in Manhattan.

Take a limo/uber from home to hotel.

Get tickets to a Broadway show/concert/museum/ballet/sports event. Whatever floats your boat. I especially enjoy the smaller museums that often are not very crowded. Museums such as the Morgan Library, the Frick Collection, and the Neue Galerie are very manageable.

Try new interesting restaurants.

Take a limo/uber from hotel to home.

My DH and I did this many times. Experiencing local points of interest can be exciting without being exhausting.

Pursue your own interests and you will enjoy NYC. My DH and I worked in Manhattan, but our "tourist" visits were always wonderful and very different.

Old 10-01-2023, 01:29 PM

427 posts, read 154,329 times
Round up a bunch of the sidewalk hostesses on Sunnyside Blvd.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:51 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What would be some of your best ideas for a "staycation" within the city? You can do one for each borough or just for the city as a whole.
I'd suggest buying a few good NYC guidebooks.

Old 10-02-2023, 05:37 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'd suggest buying a few good NYC guidebooks.
No need! All one needs is do an internet search using Google!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City