Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:42 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times

Advertisements

I'm bringing this up since I went down to Brooklyn over the weekend to visit a friend of mine who lives near Nostrand and Avenue U. We hung out there for a while and then we decided to go to Kings Plaza a few blocks up. I remembered when I was a little kid that I was a bit afraid of crossing the criminally wide Flatbush Avenue to get to that mall.

I can think of a few others that make me a little uneasy...

1) Concourse. Not fun to cross. Ever.

2) Atlantic/Flatbush/4th. I remember I was headed to the LIRR station and had to cross this three-headed monster.

3) Park Avenue north of Grand Central. Those taxis do NOT care AND there's almost NO pedestrian traffic lights.

Anyone else has any others they get a little nervous crossing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
In no order:

The Bronx

1.) Andrews ave and Fordham rd
2.) 183rd-184th Valentine/Thebout
3.) St Paul and Washington Ave
4.) Burnside - Tremont and University Avenue
5.) 181st and Creston ave (personal reasons)
6.) 180th and Hughes avenue

Uptown

1. 145th and St Nicholas
2. 139th - 135th and Lennox ave
3. 141st and Broadway
4. 174th and St Nicholas

Those are from the ones I've been too.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Queens Boulevard has one of the highest pedestrian fatality rates in the ENTIRE US. Many years ago I worked at Elmhurst Hospital and the huge number of patients hit by cars while they were crossing Queens Boulevard was astounding.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Standing at the corner on 41st St. and Dyer Ave (I think it's named Dyer Ave for a reason) and crossing 41st st north to 42nd-- even with the walk light.

Dyer is a small st. between 9th and 10th Ave. The people driving on it and turning left on to 41st are all in a MAJOR hurry to get to the tunnel to NJ (is NJ all that great?) and they will RUN YOU DOWN even if you have a walk light.

I know someone who was killed there and another who was hit.

Port Authority police cars park right there and do absolutely nothing to ticket these drivers who are engaging in this potentially deadly behavior.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Attempting to cross any busy street in NYC makes me nervous. I knew someone in college who was killed by a cab. You can always tell who the native New Yorkers are, b/c they stand inches from the speeding cars waiting to cross.

The game ******* comes to my mind frequently when I walk around NYC.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
lol...why would that word not be allowed......okay the game where you are a frog trying to cross the street.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
lol...why would that word not be allowed......okay the game where you are a frog trying to cross the street.
Off-handed guess, but I think it might be considered a derogatory term for those of French descent.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 PM

655 posts, read 1,991,614 times
any queens blvd location, if i'm near the subway stop i try to walk underground to avoid crossing it.

i'm not crazy about crossing the intersection of the concourse and 161 Street but that's not as big as anything on queens blvd.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:47 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,127 times
The three-way intersection of Queens Blvd, Jewel Ave. and Yellowstone Blvd. in Forest Hills used to be called the Intersection of Death - I remember hearing that it was most dangerous part of Queens Blvd for pedestrians, I believe. Apparently someone is killed by a car there, on average, every 7 months or so. There are yellow "A Pedestrian Was Killed Crossing Here" signs all over the place.

I hate crossing past the 65th Street on-ramp to the BQE on the north side of Queens Blvd, personally, even though it doesn't involve actually crossing the boulevard - there's no light or stop sign, and the cars just keep coming.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:09 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
There is an evil spirit hovering on the corner of Madison & 60th. It doesn't seem like an intersection that's particularly distinctive from others in that area, but people there are possessed. Northbound drivers making the left turn onto 60th refuse to grant peddies crossing 60th their right of way. They view them as targets to hit.

My stepfather, ~70 yrs old at the time and who, at 6'4" was hardly inconspicuous, was nearly hit as he limped into the intersection with the WALK signal one day. He turned around and shook his cane at the maniac.

What gets me is that once they've made the turn, the drivers end up at Fifth Ave., where they just have to wait at the RED light. What was their rush?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City