Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 01:36 PM

31,963 posts, read 27,118,311 times

Advertisements

Names of some victims released.

Driver of Mazda may have been a recent transplant to NYC living in Queens. All passengers in that car were young adults from that borough.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-victims.html

If driver was new to area will give him some slack. Probably really didn't know area and or seriously misjudged that curve (along with his own driving skills).

GD shame, four young lives snuffed out. Three cousins, bf of one of the cousins and driver.

https://gothamist.com/news/five-kill...e-were-cousins

*RIP*

What a horrible way for any family to start new year...

Last edited by BugsyPal; 01-02-2024 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 02:38 PM

5,867 posts, read 2,985,934 times
Horrible. Stay home new year eve and don’t let you kids drink. Nothing good can come from it.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:08 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,163,358 times
Sad, rip, condolences to family...this curve, designed by Robert Moses. As well as the interboro parkway,BQE...the twisties, or just bad planning!!! As if it was designed to prevent buses and people from driving
fast ?!?!? I used to fly by both parkways ,with the trusty Mazda 5 speed, whoa,hooo!!! Not much a whoa hoo in an SUV or Sedan... that "dead mans curve" is long overdue for a major fixing. Most of the Cross Island needs fixing, with the exits too!

Old 01-02-2024, 04:12 PM

106,919 posts, read 109,196,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Horrible. Stay home new year eve and don’t let you kids drink. Nothing good can come from it.
that area is plagued with crashes all the time

Old 01-02-2024, 04:20 PM

1,487 posts, read 772,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Why are you blaming the driver? I live nearby and heard about this early this morning. It is unclear who is at fault... Why don't you wait until the facts come out before you start running your mouth...
Per newsday today speeding was a factor.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:37 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,720,886 times
That curve is nothing compared to the Jackie Robinson Expressway. It’s no big deal nowadays because most NYers driver slower than bicycles.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:30 PM

5,867 posts, read 2,985,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
That curve is nothing compared to the Jackie Robinson Expressway. It’s no big deal nowadays because most NYers driver slower than bicycles.
Jackie is no joke and the road gets very slippery when wet, don’t know if it’s the type of pavement or just oil on top of the road.
When I was young, I went to see a fox mustang my friend wanted to buy, owner wouldn’t let us drive it thank god, but he did take us for a blast on Jackie, interboro back then. Guy knew how to handle his 5.0. Scared us to death for sure. Power shifting and tail out in every corner. Fun little road if no one is on it and you feel sporty.I’ve done plenty of Grand Prix driving on it. Lucky for me all I had was 140 hp to play with.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:54 PM

10,177 posts, read 15,057,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Sad, rip, condolences to family...this curve, designed by Robert Moses. As well as the interboro parkway,BQE...the twisties, or just bad planning!!! As if it was designed to prevent buses and people from driving
fast ?!?!? I used to fly by both parkways ,with the trusty Mazda 5 speed, whoa,hooo!!! Not much a whoa hoo in an SUV or Sedan... that "dead mans curve" is long overdue for a major fixing. Most of the Cross Island needs fixing, with the exits too!
lol

Ever driven on the Saw Mill Parkway that goes up Westchester near the Hudson River or the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut? Many of the exits are very sharp turns and very short. Many entrances have stop signs where they meet the parkways instead of smoothly merging as it's done in most turnpikes/parkways/etc. The Bronx River Parkway that goes from The Bronx up to White Plains and beyond has quite a few tight areas, tighter than expected in modern highways. That one and the Saw Mill even have traffic lights at certain places.

What do all these roads have in common? They were built before the modern vehicle era. It isn't they were badly planned, rather they were built at a time when vehicles didn't reach the high speeds they reach now. The Merritt Parkway was built during the Great Depression by the US government mainly to create jobs.

Highways that were built in NYC during Robert Moses time were built according to those times when vehicles didn't go as fast as now.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:04 PM

31,963 posts, read 27,118,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Jackie is no joke and the road gets very slippery when wet, don’t know if it’s the type of pavement or just oil on top of the road.
When I was young, I went to see a fox mustang my friend wanted to buy, owner wouldn’t let us drive it thank god, but he did take us for a blast on Jackie, interboro back then. Guy knew how to handle his 5.0. Scared us to death for sure. Power shifting and tail out in every corner. Fun little road if no one is on it and you feel sporty.I’ve done plenty of Grand Prix driving on it. Lucky for me all I had was 140 hp to play with.
Oil on road happens to some extent on all highways, streets, etc... It's one reason why drivers are supposed to slow down even when only light rain has fallen.

Not blaming victim but for some time now you see these drivers of certain cars by Mazda, Toyota, Honda and few others driving their rides like they are Porsches or some other race car.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:46 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,432,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oil on road happens to some extent on all highways, streets, etc... It's one reason why drivers are supposed to slow down even when only light rain has fallen.

Not blaming victim but for some time now you see these drivers of certain cars by Mazda, Toyota, Honda and few others driving their rides like they are Porsches or some other race car.
I have long felt drivers of Honda cars, not SUV’s or vans, are aggressive, Nissans, too. And I hate seeing Rams or Jeeps coming up behind me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City