Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 10:47 PM

789 posts, read 487,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Names of some victims released.

Driver of Mazda may have been a recent transplant to NYC living in Queens. All passengers in that car were young adults from that borough.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-victims.html

If driver was new to area will give him some slack. Probably really didn't know area and or seriously misjudged that curve (along with his own driving skills).

GD shame, four young lives snuffed out. Three cousins, bf of one of the cousins and driver.

https://gothamist.com/news/five-kill...e-were-cousins

*RIP*

What a horrible way for any family to start new year...
No surprise about the names. Mostly hispanic. They come speeding from Long Island towards the Bronx or eventually to get onto the Grand Central...again, high as kytes. Been watching them total their cars now for years on this highway. Almost always a person of color. If you live in this area, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 03:42 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Per newsday today speeding was a factor.
Per other sources the investigation as to who was at fault was pending, so again, I would rather wait before blaming any particular driver. Given the wreckage, speed definitely appeared to be a factor and I never argued that it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
No surprise about the names. Mostly hispanic. They come speeding from Long Island towards the Bronx or eventually to get onto the Grand Central...again, high as kytes. Been watching them total their cars now for years on this highway. Almost always a person of color. If you live in this area, you know.
Do we know that the people in this case were "high as kytes"?

Old 01-03-2024, 04:20 AM

106,677 posts, read 108,856,202 times
latest update was the mazda hit the curb and hit the honda

Old 01-03-2024, 05:06 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
From Newsday:

"A preliminary investigation determined that the Mazda was traveling north on the Whitestone Expressway and approaching the southbound exit to the Cross Island when the 24-year-old driver struck the center median. The Mazda traversed the median and landed in the northbound lanes of the Cross Island, police said.

The Mazda then struck the Honda, which was traveling onto the exit ramp from the northbound Cross Island to the Whitestone Expressway. The 63-year-old driver of the Honda was transported to New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital with neck and back injuries and was in stable condition Tuesday, police said."

https://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...ation-rkivs4wb

These young hot rod kids will never learn. You just cannot fight laws of physics.

Things get worse because these hot shots have no idea how to compensate or otherwise cope. Sadly often there really isn't that much time to react.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu0sqBVVuCU

Old 01-03-2024, 06:41 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
There was another car nearby with friends or relatives who witnessed the crash. I wouldn't be surprised if they were racing each other. Sometimes on the Grand Central Parkway or the Long Island Expressway a car will come zooming by at 90-100mph soon followed by another car weaving in and out of traffic trying to catch up to the first car.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:53 AM

106,677 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
There was another car nearby with friends or relatives who witnessed the crash. I wouldn't be surprised if they were racing each other. Sometimes on the Grand Central Parkway or the Long Island Expressway a car will come zooming by at 90-100mph soon followed by another car weaving in and out of traffic trying to catch up to the first car.
i have seen that repeatedly

Old 01-03-2024, 11:16 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
One thing that I got out of this is to wear seatbelts when in the back seat. I wear seatbelts ALWAYS when I drive or in cars of people I know but when I take Ubers/Lyfts, I don’t like to put on those seatbelts for fear of their cleanliness but from now on, I will buckle up regardless of how uncomfortable I feel about their cleanliness.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:07 PM

2,447 posts, read 1,220,813 times
Quote:
i have seen that repeatedly
Yes, and when they zip by, some clown who was just plodding along gets triggered and decides to join in. It's amazing to watch.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:50 PM

3,209 posts, read 1,673,950 times
Quote:
To the unsuspecting driver that has never driven that section if you are doing higher than 50mph without good tires and sports suspension you won't make it through.

Now, if you are like most morons that will hit the brake hard and not realize that hard breaking is the worst thing to do when it's slippery or wet. The driver most likely brake too late and the ground was wet and easily end up hitting the median.

I've made it a contest ever time I reach that apex to let off the gas and rotate the car around that bend at 60mph if the area is clear. It's a really fun bend to test the grip of your tires and handling of your car, but do it at 40mph while most people can only dare to do it around 30mph.

Below is the section. It's been stretched on google maps so it doesn't look so intimidating.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7896...8192?entry=ttu

Old 01-03-2024, 01:32 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,948,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
To the unsuspecting driver that has never driven that section if you are doing higher than 50mph without good tires and sports suspension you won't make it through.

Now, if you are like most morons that will hit the brake hard and not realize that hard breaking is the worst thing to do when it's slippery or wet. The driver most likely brake too late and the ground was wet and easily end up hitting the median.

I've made it a contest ever time I reach that apex to let off the gas and rotate the car around that bend at 60mph if the area is clear. It's a really fun bend to test the grip of your tires and handling of your car, but do it at 40mph while most people can only dare to do it around 30mph.

Below is the section. It's been stretched on google maps so it doesn't look so intimidating.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7896...8192?entry=ttu
That road was there in 70s and 80s. If cardiac and Lincoln’s can make that turn, I’m sure any other can as well. But going to fast is the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City