Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 11:03 AM

34,156 posts, read 47,390,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJewNYC View Post
Not the same thing. There is no way to predict fires or crime since they are literally random events.

The city paid billions of dollars for a very sophisticated real time traffic management system in 2023. The most sophisticated in all of the US. They have access to real time data from most of the 12,400 traffic lights in this city. I’m sure at this point they have the information it no one is acting on it.

With regard to reworking traffic patterns It is also the DoT’s responsibility to conduct traffic evaluations. When was the last time you saw a DoT team doing that?

I belive that no one in the city government is interested in improving traffic conditions in NYC. In fact, a portion wants deteriorating conditions because they think that will push people towards biking/MTA.

Are you able to provide evidence that the DoT is working on improving vehicular traffic conditions in NYC? I’m willing to take a look. Personally, I cant find any initiatives

The more the city tries to dissuade people from striving, the more people drive. I can only guess it’s because the alternatives are still worse at this point.
I would like to read about this new system. Where are you sourcing your information?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 11:38 AM

52 posts, read 9,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I would like to read about this new system. Where are you sourcing your information?
Same company that is implementing congestion pricing, TransCore. Conflict of interest? See how the game is played?

Old 05-04-2024, 04:38 PM

3,303 posts, read 1,716,622 times
Anybody who drives around NYC knows the DOT's mission is to slow cars down by creating congestion. Whoever thinks creating congestion is a good idea should be fired. Congestion creates pollution and it will hurt the economy by costing productivity and it slows toll collection down.

It was ok when people don't have to pay tolls to deal with the congestion but if you ask people to pay $15 to enter the city and still have to deal with congestion. No thanks.

Congestion tax will hurt NYC more than the short term gains of the $15. People will come to NYC less and eventually the restaurants will see either a dip in customers or a dip in consumption.

NJ, Queens and Brooklyn may see a boom in restaurants as people figure they stay away from Manhattan.

People who live in NYC will get hurt the most because any contractor will want more $$ to drive into manhattan.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:05 PM

5,862 posts, read 2,983,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Anybody who drives around NYC knows the DOT's mission is to slow cars down by creating congestion. Whoever thinks creating congestion is a good idea should be fired. Congestion creates pollution and it will hurt the economy by costing productivity and it slows toll collection down.

It was ok when people don't have to pay tolls to deal with the congestion but if you ask people to pay $15 to enter the city and still have to deal with congestion. No thanks.

Congestion tax will hurt NYC more than the short term gains of the $15. People will come to NYC less and eventually the restaurants will see either a dip in customers or a dip in consumption.

NJ, Queens and Brooklyn may see a boom in restaurants as people figure they stay away from Manhattan.

People who live in NYC will get hurt the most because any contractor will want more $$ to drive into manhattan.
IF one can afford to live in the city, they can afford an extra expense. Those who don't belong there should not be there.
Im starting to look at it from a different angle. Maybe it will be like a gated community with more desirable people. But I doubt it.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:14 PM

606 posts, read 2,096,588 times
I'm ambivalent on congestion pricing.

The arguments against it are strong.

An equally strong counter-argument is that with WFH here to stay to some extent you cannot allow infrastructure and mass transit to fall apart like in the '60s and '70s and the money generated by CP is absolutely necessary.

Maybe Manhattan will become noticeably more livable and this new "lifestyle" will make it more attractive

Old 05-04-2024, 06:29 PM

35,263 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
I'm ambivalent on congestion pricing.

The arguments against it are strong.

An equally strong counter-argument is that with WFH here to stay to some extent you cannot allow infrastructure and mass transit to fall apart like in the '60s and '70s and the money generated by CP is absolutely necessary.

Maybe Manhattan will become noticeably more livable and this new "lifestyle" will make it more attractive
WFH may make NYC superfluous. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
IF one can afford to live in the city, they can afford an extra expense. Those who don't belong there should not be there.
Im starting to look at it from a different angle. Maybe it will be like a gated community with more desirable people. But I doubt it.
Congestion pricing won’t change much and that’s why it was implemented. It’s simply another tax. The vast majority of vehicles driving below midtown during business hours are there because they have to be.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
WFH may make NYC superfluous. Be careful what you wish for.
The WFH trend has reversed from the peak in 2022. Wait until we hit the next recession. I’d bet that percentage starts to trend closer to pre-COVID levels of about 15% fully remote.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:10 AM

35,263 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJewNYC View Post
The WFH trend has reversed from the peak in 2022. Wait until we hit the next recession. I’d bet that percentage starts to trend closer to pre-COVID levels of about 15% fully remote.
I was responding to another post that suggested WFH as an alternative. I personally oppose most WFH, dangerous weather excepted. But my point is that if WFH takes over it makes a dense city core not necessary.

Old 05-05-2024, 10:11 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
With that line of thinking, we shouldn't need to call 911 either to report fires or crime, they should already know

I've reported issues to DOT such as potholes and rotting transformer covers in sidewalks, they came out and fixed them in a few weeks each time. Not sure what's causing your angst.
Kind of like all those people who put in CD reports that say, WHY IS THIS ALLOWED???? I THOUGHT IT WAS AGAINST THE RULES!!!!

Because no one reported it so we didn't know it was there, DUH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City