Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:32 PM

8 posts, read 25,363 times

Advertisements

Just curious

Old 06-08-2008, 06:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,337,416 times
for rich people than Life in Manhattan > Life Elsewhere

For normal people Life in Manhattan < Life elsewhere

Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,155 times
I moved to arizona for four years, what I have learned is that NY is full of such a diversity of culture that you dont find other places. Here in Arizona there is alot of Mexican influence and some native american but not a very diverse group of cultures like in NY. I really miss that alot. Some aspects of living are cheaper here and some are not.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:05 PM

757 posts, read 3,364,003 times
Convenience. I walk almost everywhere I need to go, except on days like today when it's too damned hot. Example: 22 movie screens within five blocks. Supermarket, two blocks away. Post Office, less. Bank, one block. Museums, concert halls, Broadway -- all within walking distance. Greenery -- Central Park. Ballet on the spur of the moment? All the time!

Also, as you might infer from above, the freedom from having to own a car.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:03 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,568 times
I find it a fat pain in the a$$! I'm "stuck" here cuz I have a great very flexible low-stress well-paid job. And most of my family. Damn I wish I was from somewhere else though. Where you can just drive on up to your home, park your car in your driveway or garage, and hang out in your larger than needed home. Not huge, but bigger than an apartment. But I always wondered if I could just move to a place without all the diversity and flavor a.k.a. sabor that New York has to offer. There is NO PLACE like NY. Especially old skool NYC! The days when graffiti ruled the trains. I miss that gritty raw NY from days past, and yet I'm ready for a change to something serene and peaceful and where I 'm not too close for comfort to strangers on my morning commute.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:27 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
I walk to work. I walk to shopping or use FreshDirect. I don't own or NEED a car. I don't shovel snow in the winter, mow grass in the spring and summer or rake leaves in the fall but have all of Central Park to enjoy. I have world class shopping three blocks from my door.

I'm not sure I understand the jist of your original question: would you care to expand, please?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,544,666 times
exciting vs boring

alright that's a bit much

exciting vs not as exciting

Old 06-12-2008, 02:49 PM

64 posts, read 143,483 times
There's more Black guys chasing you down subways and making lewd remarks when you walk down the street. But they can't get all the credit..Latin/Hispanics are catching up with their cheesy one liners and eye-raping.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:39 PM

175 posts, read 550,003 times
Everything in life is a tradeoff. After a couple of weeks in NYC, I look forward to returning to the tranquility of upstate NY. After a couple of weeks in upstate NY, I miss the hustle and bustle, the restaurants, the diversity, the subways, of NYC. I think life is a lot easier in upstate NY - nice big house, drive to the giant grocery store, lower cost of living all the way around. But the city is a special place, and I really look forward to my short trips down there.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:40 PM

198 posts, read 354,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndTheCity View Post
There's more Black guys chasing you down subways and making lewd remarks when you walk down the street. But they can't get all the credit..Latin/Hispanics are catching up with their cheesy one liners and eye-raping.
From the few posts you have made, you appear to have some real problems with Hispanic and Black men making remarks to you all the time....now you report being eye-raped. I'm not dismissing what you say, but perhaps the city is not the place for you.

I spent some time in NYC, and my wife worked at Arden Travel Agency in midtown Manhatten and lived on Long Island. We loved NYC and all it has to offer. We also lived for many many years in Portland, Maine and also loved that. In 1998 we moved to Orange County, California where we presently are retired, and we love it out here.

If you aren't happy with NYC, I suggest you find someplace where you are more comfortable. Again, the problem of which you speak is not going to go away in the near future, and no, it isn't right, but if it makes you as uncomfortable as you say it does, why put up with it?

No matter where you decide to live, there will be issues that annoy you. You have to live somewhere, so finding ways to lessen those annoyances make sense. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City