Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering move from Washington DC Metro area to New York City, seeking advice on; reputable moving agencies, fees, clean studio in Manhattan that allows cats, 70K salary per year

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 AM

10 posts, read 58,742 times

Advertisements

Hello - I've been thinking of transferring to NY with my job from the DC Metro area in the fall. I would be working in the midtown area at Broadway between 49th & 50th. I've also read a lot of the posts on here which is great.

Are there any reputable agencies/brokers that won't rip me off in helping find a place to live? What kind of fees can I expect? Are they pretty honest about the roach problem? I'm not concerned about rodents - my cats are awesome at dealing with critters of all kinds.

I'm looking for a clean, bug-free (if I can find it) studio that allows cats (I have two). I will probably make about $70K and can't spend more than $1750 based on the 40x rule. I have a car but would consider giving it up.

Here are my stats:

I make $62K per year working in DC and living in MD.

I commute into DC from the Silver Spring suburbs which takes about an hour/hour and a half (on a good day) and costs me $144 for bus/rail or $253 per month if I park at the metro and take the train in. DC parking is $220 a month plus avg of $200 for gas - so I don't do that often.

Rent is $1150 for a one bedroom 660 sq ft apt w/washer/dryer, w/fireplace and pets allowed including dogs (I know I'll never find that in NY on my budget)

Electric is a killer - winter $240 averages, summer about $180 a month

Cable/internet/phone package is $132 a month for Verizon FIOS - rate will go up after a year

I would LOVE to be within walking distance of my office but suspect my budget will not allow that.

What kind of laundry facilities are availabe in NYC? Are renters generally allowed to have portable washers that hook up to the sink?

Where can I find a good vet? My cats hate being in their carriers but are there a lot of local vets in residential areas?

If I keep the car, how high would insurance rates average for full coverage on a clean driving record - I drive a 2004 VW Beetle GLS Turbo. Parking seems reasonable averaging at $200 a month but are there waiting lists/hidden fees? I enjoy having a car and only use it now on the weekends but I have free parking where I live. I could easily sell it but love it and want to keep it.

I've considered moving to Jersey City/Hoboken but I'd like to give NYC a try. Can I really afford to live near midtown on my salary? I have a little bit of credit card debt and a car loan but if I ditch the car, it would be paid off super fast. Plus my dad lives in Fanwood and I think I can hang out there until I find a place (or I wear out my welcome).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,208 times
Are there any reputable agencies/brokers that won't rip me off in helping find a place to live? What kind of fees can I expect? Are they pretty honest about the roach problem? I'm not concerned about rodents - my cats are awesome at dealing with critters of all kinds. Do NOT use Craig's List or, if you do, assume that half of the listings there don't really exist. There are lots of reputable brokers. Vermin are less of a problem than one might think, and can usually be avoided by being clean and vigilent (BTW, cats like roaches too). Take a look at the Village Voice or NY Times, ask your friends/colleagues/people at work. They may be out of your price league, but also talk to management companies that rent direct (i.e., no borker) -- Bettina Equities, Glenwood, to name a few. Otherwise, you will bay 10-15% of the annual rent as commission.

I'm looking for a clean, bug-free (if I can find it) studio that allows cats (I have two). I will probably make about $70K and can't spend more than $1750 based on the 40x rule. I have a car but would consider giving it up. New York is relatively pet-friendly (outside of the snooty coops), and your cats are unlikely to pose any problem. The $1750 will be a bit tight but not impossible even for a studio in Manhattan, so you may want to expand your horizons to parts of Brooklyn or Queens. You really MUST dump the car. Parking, at least in Manhattan residential areas, is far more than $200/mo. If you must keep it, consider leaving it with your parents in New Jersey, though you will find that to be an expensive luxury.

What kind of laundry facilities are availabe in NYC? Are renters generally allowed to have portable washers that hook up to the sink? You likely will not be "allowed" to use a portable washer in most apartments, though that has not sopped many. Most buildings of any size have laundry in the building, otherwise they are on every other street corner.

Where can I find a good vet? My cats hate being in their carriers but are there a lot of local vets in residential areas? There are lots of vets. Ask your neighbors once you settle in.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I wouldn't think about living near where you work. It's loud, noisy, without supermarkets, dry cleaning (amenities of daily life) and, unless you LIKE noisy, etc., you'd probably do better either living WAY east (so you could take one crosstown bus) or in or on the UWS, which is tough with your budget. Or think about living in Queens along the 7 IRT line or in NJ.

It sounds like your electricity supplied your heat. In NYC that's not very common. It's usually (not always) part of your rent.

There are TONS of good vets in NYC.

GET RID OF YOUR CAR. You don't need it here. And parking in a garage STARTS at about $400/month and goes up from there. Not to mention the insurance.

Best of luck with your decision.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 AM

10 posts, read 58,742 times
Default Thanks for the info

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to take a trip up later this summer to check things out. I've been to NY loads of times but never looking from a resident's perspective.

How are the buses in NYC? Down here it can be brutal especially during rush hour. You get all kinds - homeless crazies, disrespectful kids, people that don't believe in soap or toothpaste but must invade my personal space, over crowding, no a/c or air circulation and drivers that drive like maniacs. I could live with taking one bus but I'm not a fan of the multi-bus trip - especially when it's monsooning out.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:08 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,894 times
[quote=kejesm;4202031]

Rent is $1150 for a one bedroom 660 sq ft apt w/washer/dryer, w/fireplace and pets allowed including dogs (I know I'll never find that in NY on my budget)

In Manhattan, you'd be lucky to get a ROOM in Harlem next to the halfway house/methadone clinic.

What kind of laundry facilities are availabe in NYC?

Probably no laundry facilities on your budget. Gotta drag your laundry up and down your walkup studio to the coin laundry.

Are renters generally allowed to have portable washers that hook up to the sink?

No.

Where can I find a good vet?

Everywhere.

If I keep the car, how high would insurance rates average for full coverage on a clean driving record - I drive a 2004 VW Beetle GLS Turbo.

Up to $3000-$4000 per year.

Parking seems reasonable averaging at $200 a month but are there waiting lists/hidden fees?

No. Around $400-$500 in Manhattan. Hidden fees: 20% NYC parking tax.

I enjoy having a car and only use it now on the weekends but I have free parking where I live. I could easily sell it but love it and want to keep it.

Manhattan is the wrong place for a car for someone on $62k.
BTW, you'll find the same obnoxious types in NYC subways as DC public transpo.

I've considered moving to Jersey City/Hoboken but I'd like to give NYC a try. Can I really afford to live near midtown on my salary?

Why move to Manhattan?

Manhattan has the same cultural amenities as DC, except it's larger, more expensive, and filthier. The people in Manhattan are the same as DC yuppies, except more pretentious and ruder.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 AM

106 posts, read 392,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kejesm View Post
How are the buses in NYC? Down here it can be brutal especially during rush hour. You get all kinds - homeless crazies, disrespectful kids, people that don't believe in soap or toothpaste but must invade my personal space, over crowding, no a/c or air circulation and drivers that drive like maniacs. I could live with taking one bus but I'm not a fan of the multi-bus trip - especially when it's monsooning out.
You'll find pretty much the same kind of people on NYC buses, although not so much the homeless crazies -- since they tend to travel by subway rather than bus.

Depending on where you need to go, you'll find that subways are usually faster than buses. Unfortunately, they're just as crowded -- especially during peak travel times, but you have the advantage of not having to wait outside in bad weather. Also, they're often more reliable when it comes to staying on schedule.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:54 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
Manhattan has the same cultural amenities as DC, except . . .
. . . except (aside from NPR affiliates) DC has better radio than NYC but no world-class ballet company of its own.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:00 AM

149 posts, read 201,057 times
[quote=Ace Rock;4212487]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kejesm View Post

In Manhattan, you'd be lucky to get a ROOM in Harlem next to the halfway house/methadone clinic.

What kind of laundry facilities are availabe in NYC?

Probably no laundry facilities on your budget. Gotta drag your laundry up and down your walkup studio to the coin laundry.

Are renters generally allowed to have portable washers that hook up to the sink?

No.

Where can I find a good vet?

Everywhere.

If I keep the car, how high would insurance rates average for full coverage on a clean driving record - I drive a 2004 VW Beetle GLS Turbo.

Up to $3000-$4000 per year.

Parking seems reasonable averaging at $200 a month but are there waiting lists/hidden fees?

No. Around $400-$500 in Manhattan. Hidden fees: 20% NYC parking tax.

I enjoy having a car and only use it now on the weekends but I have free parking where I live. I could easily sell it but love it and want to keep it.

Manhattan is the wrong place for a car for someone on $62k.
BTW, you'll find the same obnoxious types in NYC subways as DC public transpo.

I've considered moving to Jersey City/Hoboken but I'd like to give NYC a try. Can I really afford to live near midtown on my salary?

Why move to Manhattan?

Manhattan has the same cultural amenities as DC, except it's larger, more expensive, and filthier. The people in Manhattan are the same as DC yuppies, except more pretentious and ruder.
Why not move to Manhattan?

And DC isn't even in the same league as Manhattan when it comes to culture and amenities. Manhattan is the definition of cosmopolitan.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:23 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,894 times
[quote=soho111;4222686]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post

Why not move to Manhattan?

And DC isn't even in the same league as Manhattan when it comes to culture and amenities. Manhattan is the definition of cosmopolitan.
What "amenities" does Manhattan offer to someone on $62k a year, living in a walkup studio? Free roaches?

Seems to me that a lot of people who claim to move to Manhattan because it's "comsopolitan", end up living in shoeboxes or with 2-3 roommates, eating ramen noodles. Glad I missed out on that "culture".

Old 06-25-2008, 09:41 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Yea, with that kind of salary, he should be moving to one of the outer boroughs... not Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City