Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:31 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
To me they are both equally bad....the grammar and sentence structure is equivalent to a HS newspaper..and that is pretty much, mentally, their target market. I will stick with the Wall Street Journal...99% of the other papers are all biased, celebrity obsessed, media-hyped tabloid garbage passing itself off as "news."
Dude relax. AM knows its a crappy free paper and they don't try to pass themselves off as a credible source of newsmedia.

It is what it is, and I admit I read it from time to time on my morning commute. Sometimes dumbing yourself down with a dumb free paper is fine in my book. Just as long as you make sure its not your only source of news. Some of the real estate features they do are actually pretty cool and insightful. They get a regular person's perspective on a lot of NYC neighborhoods. They also give out good recommendations on bars, restaurants, etc.

For what its worth I find almost just as many errors and typos in the NY Post. Which is pretty embarrassing for a mainstream paper like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 01:39 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,908 times
Yes I agree..I am just making sure people know that it is not a real paper or a good source of news. They sometimes have a couple interesting recommendations, perspectives...but its about 90% ads. It's pretty bad. Regarding the post..they are pretty much a relabled Enquirer with slightly less psychic reading ads.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:37 PM

106 posts, read 393,091 times
Neither one. I read The New York Times.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,756 times
I'm a journal man myself Guy but AMNY and the especially the Onion are entertaining on a long subway ride.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:44 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,908 times
Yes the Onion at least knows it is humorous! The AM is funny for a host of other reasons! I stick to the journal..although I am always a day behind because they don't deliver (in the mornings) to Mott Haven (YET!)...so I get it the next day in the mail. They just recently (as in the last couple of months) began home delivery of the NY Post and Daily News to Mott Haven...but I don't read those!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 PM
luv

50 posts, read 169,410 times
The "news" type articles in AM are mostly Associated Press articles. Are we suggesting that the Associated Press is not a legitimate and worthy news source, complete with typos? NOT

Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 PM

127 posts, read 548,048 times
Geez Guy, give AM NY some credit. They did highlight Mott Haven a few months back. Personally I love AM NY! The articles are short and catchy, perfect for my morning commute. I also love their insight on different neighborhoods, things to do around NYC, and coupons. Anyway, I haven't mastered the art of reading the NY Times & WSJ on the subway. It's a pain to flip those big pages in a crowded train. lol For a more substantive subway read I prefer The Economist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Yes the Onion at least knows it is humorous! The AM is funny for a host of other reasons! I stick to the journal..although I am always a day behind because they don't deliver (in the mornings) to Mott Haven (YET!)...so I get it the next day in the mail. They just recently (as in the last couple of months) began home delivery of the NY Post and Daily News to Mott Haven...but I don't read those!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:01 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,383 times
Quote:
the Metro... the only reason being that their crossword is usually somewhat challenging, while AM's crossword I can usually complete in two minutes. Out of all the free papers, the Onion is really the only one I actually read on a regular basis
I pick up Metro because its the only one available at King's Highway. I like the crossword, which gives me something to do on the train. It's pretty easy most days though. I can usually read most of the paper and get the crossword done by the time I get off the train (about 35 minutes). That AMNY crossword must be really lame!

(BTW - the Metro crossword is the same as the one in the Daily News).

I second your motion on the Onion - first class journalism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City