Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:29 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,651,157 times

Advertisements

I ran across this statistic recently, and I have to say, it made me rather nervous. Do you realize that 60% of the bookstores in the entire United States are within 100 miles of New York City? And of the rest, the majority are in or close to Boston and San Francisco.

The first thought I had when I read that was, it doesn't say a lot for many of our fellow Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,991,495 times
Wow.. that bothers me a lot, especially since I'm very fond of book stores, and spend a great portion of some of my days in them.. now I'm afraid to move!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,151,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I ran across this statistic recently, and I have to say, it made me rather nervous. Do you realize that 60% of the bookstores in the entire United States are within 100 miles of New York City? And of the rest, the majority are in or close to Boston and San Francisco.

The first thought I had when I read that was, it doesn't say a lot for many of our fellow Americans.
I'm not at all surprised. I live in L.A. and for the most part nobody reads here. Bookstores are always so empty. I picked the community I live in because it had the busiest bookstore I'd seen. I thought that said something about my neighbors.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,295,712 times
Wow, there's a wealth of stereotypical jokes to be made from this - but I'll let someone else make 'em.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,168,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

Then why does NYC only rank #63 (62 other cities ahead of us) when it comes to being "America's Most Literate City"? The rankings are based on the number of bookstores per 10,000 people.

America's Most Literate Cities

Old 07-08-2008, 08:26 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,151,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Then why does NYC only rank #63 (62 other cities ahead of us) when it comes to being "America's Most Literate City"? The rankings are based on the number of bookstores per 10,000 people.

America's Most Literate Cities
It's not just based on bookstores. They threw in something about "members of the booksellers assoc per 10,000 people". I wish they'd take that out. I don't know how much that skews the results.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,168,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
It's not just based on bookstores. They threw in something about "members of the booksellers assoc per 10,000 people". I wish they'd take that out. I don't know how much that skews the results.

Well, it's a bit hard to interpret, but the way I read the chart is to look at BOTH the "rank" and the "overall rank"

I understood the "rank" to be the number of bookstores per 10,000 people, and the "overall rank" to include the other variables, such as number of booksellers assoc. members.

I don't know if I am reading it correctly (I guess this probably proves to them that I come from a city that ranks only 63) but that's my understanding.

And my point for this thread is that I didn't see a link anywhere else above to go with the stats that were quoted in post #1. I don't really believe it because the 100 miles thing didn't make much sense to me. It was just a little weird - could be true, but I would like to see the article or the link where it came from.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,254,723 times
I don't know about the statistics but I do know that the evidence of how much New Yorkers read can be found on the streets of Manhattan. How many other cities boast so many street booksellers?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 PM

541 posts, read 1,904,241 times
Also keep in mind vast majority of the United States isn't as densely populated as the megaopolis that is the stretch from DC to Boston. In my old hometown of Lake Charles, La the entire parish that it is located in has a smaller population than some neighborhoods in Manhattan therefore there isnt a need for a ton of bookstores. There aren't even that many movie stores or electronic stores in the area.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 PM

318 posts, read 1,099,529 times
Hopefully the rest of the country is going to the library instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City