Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 9,575 times

Advertisements

I am looking at areas in NYC to move to reasonably priced, and I am trying to get a read on good areas. SOme people say HArlem is fine After the 150's, others say stay before 135, East side is better, west side is better, what areas should two females stay out of for safety reasons? lol. Also, mornigside heights? better than for instance, Inwood or Washington Heights? I have friends in the 80's on the west side so I dont know the east side as well, deos it make a difference? It always seemed more "stuck up" if you will, to me Just want some information to put my mind at ease. I had a friend who lived on 150th and Bwy. (Harlem) and she loved her place. Just putting feelers out there. ANy information would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,167 times
dont forget Queens and brooklyn areas close to manhattan that are just as nice and more affordable and family friendly

Old 04-18-2010, 10:47 AM

I know I was looking in Astoria as well, and my cousin reccomended brooklyn

Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
In Queens, I would say Astoria, Rego Park & Forest Hills.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerasa View Post
I am looking at areas in NYC to move to reasonably priced, and I am trying to get a read on good areas. SOme people say HArlem is fine After the 150's, others say stay before 135, East side is better, west side is better, what areas should two females stay out of for safety reasons? lol. Also, mornigside heights? better than for instance, Inwood or Washington Heights? I have friends in the 80's on the west side so I dont know the east side as well, deos it make a difference? It always seemed more "stuck up" if you will, to me Just want some information to put my mind at ease. I had a friend who lived on 150th and Bwy. (Harlem) and she loved her place. Just putting feelers out there. ANy information would be great
Don't forget, some people say they love their place b/c they don't have a choice. SO its either look at the realities of a place, or just say u love it to put ur mind at ease. I wouldnt suggest the area for u two, but it dpends on what ur comfortable with and how much u have to spend.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,378 times
Id say astoria over harlem ANY day. Safety there varies. You mentioned morningside heights, thats probably your best best over there. BK can be pricey, espeically in the "manhattanite" sections of williamsburg, park slope, bk heights, cobble hill, carroll gardens etc. All fantastic, but the deals are going to be in more sketchy areas. good luck.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 PM

I find it very tough to do this. I found a cute place in East Harlem, 116th and Park. People say no way thats terrible and others say thats a great area. I wish there was somewhere the broke down the boroughs and what areas to stay away from. Like Harlem between 110th and 135th is ok, but dont go farther. Or East is okay from 116th to 125th as long as you are on Park or Lexington. Know what I mean? I know there are parts of ALL the boroughs that are bad and good but I DONT KNOW WHERE THEY ARE!! Its very frustrating

Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 PM

13 posts, read 32,221 times
Quick n' dirty version because I don't know where you're coming from, or what your priorities are other than safety:
116 and Park should be ok safety-wise (i base this off 10 yrs in NYC and walking through but not living in that area, so take that with a grain of salt). The West side in general is a little safer and has more personality. The east side (below harlem) can be relatively stuck up, like you said, and boring.
I've lived in Morningside, Washington Heights and Inwood and really liked all of them. W.H. is actually tree-lined and relatively quiet in some areas, depending on what part. Morningside is more convenient for transportation.

Brooklyn generally affords a MUCH better quality of life than Manhattan-- especially if you're on a "reasonable" budget. Depending on what part of Bklyn as well as where you're working or going to school or whatever, it's no less convenient than a lot of Manhattan. Definitely recommend Park Slope, Ft. Greene, Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights, Windsor Terrace, Bay Ridge (tho the Ridge might not be great for a newcomer but safe and cheap), and parts of Sunset Park, for safety, personality, and a community feeling. Williamsburg/Greenpoint can be ok but the trendiness is ridiculous and I doubt the rents are reasonable. I've heard great things about other neighborhoods too but can't say a whole lot first-hand.

Reasonably priced is relative- rents are cheaper these days so you may be able to get a decent deal. Sounds like you're moving with a roommate or partner which will definitely help.

I'm a single lady without $ to waste on unreasonable rent, and never really had any problems safety-wise. A lot of the time it's just about having common sense, looking out for yourself and being aware, and not taking stupid risks. Yes stuff does still happen, but following those things will get you far.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerasa View Post
I find it very tough to do this. I found a cute place in East Harlem, 116th and Park. People say no way thats terrible and others say thats a great area.
What do you mean by "found"?

Have you been there, or you "found" it online?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:42 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,378 times
Although people might chime in with excpetions, that area is generally terrible. TONS of projects in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City