Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 08:08 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion: Most crime in DE is contained within Wilmington. Step outside that corridor into New Castle,Newark, or further South such as Seaford or coastal areas and you are in paradise. If you like the country....go even further south to more rural areas.
From the C-D DE forum, I've heard this.

Some of DC friends grew up with summer houses in coastal DE. Evidentially, it's nice. I'll have to see it.

My husband & son did a tour of William and Mary College in Williamsburg VA. It is a small walkable town with an Amtrak station in the center of it. The college has 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students combined. It also has Colonial Williamsburg so there's a cultural scene going on. My husband and son stayed at a b&b where the owners dressed in period costumes for a local fancy ball. Not my usual cup of tea but it could be fun.

I don't think it is a matter of New Yorkers fitting in to new places. I was okay moving to Austin, Texas. However, I missed NYC - I missed my home. I missed the NJ shore, the four season with maple trees, music and arts, etc.

I went up to Claremont, NH and the deli owner said he drove down to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx three times a week for bread. He just couldn't get real Italian bread up there. It must be the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 08:13 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
From the C-D DE forum, I've heard this.

Some of DC friends grew up with summer houses in coastal DE. Evidentially, it's nice. I'll have to see it.

My husband & son did a tour of William and Mary College in Williamsburg VA. It is a small walkable town with an Amtrak station in the center of it. The college has 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students combined. It also has Colonial Williamsburg so there's a cultural scene going on. My husband and son stayed at a b&b where the owners dressed in period costumes for a local fancy ball. Not my usual cup of tea but it could be fun.

I don't think it is a matter of New Yorkers fitting in to new places. I was okay moving to Austin, Texas. However, I missed NYC - I missed my home. I missed the NJ shore, the four season with maple trees, music and arts, etc.

I went up to Claremont, NH and the deli owner said he drove down to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx three times a week for bread. He just couldn't get real Italian bread up there. It must be the water.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croton_Aqueduct

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-05-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Basically, I live down the street from it. It's a beautiful thing!

When I lived in Austin, I brought Poland Springs water to boil pasta in. The Austin water was so awful it gave pasta a funny taste.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:07 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Alright Mr Retired & YorktownGal, thank you for the extra info about DE. I will certainly look more into that.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:16 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Basically, I live down the street from it. It's a beautiful thing!

When I lived in Austin, I brought Poland Springs water to boil pasta in. The Austin water was so awful it gave pasta a funny taste.
NYC is the best city in the world because we have the best water supply, it's that simple.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-06-2020, 04:13 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Do what NYers have done for generations. Get a condo in Boca.
My friend is trying to persuade me to do that. I want to live in Europe. When I visited him, all I could think of is the song from Weeds...

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same

His reasoning, I think, is he is trying to persuade more of his peeps to live near him, the 55+ community has a pretty low entry point by NY standards and has plenty of amenities. Lastly, he thinks I am nuts to not want to have a US presence anywhere when I am ready to retire. But I got some time to think about that. He's assured me that I could buy and he could just rent out my space while I'm in Europe. I dunno. I'd have to think about it. On one hand, the idea of owning property somewhere that is cost neutral to me is appealing... but where.. yikes. Not so appealing, to me.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:17 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
This post capsulizes the whole situation.

The only exception is Metropolitan Opera. The Met is still going strong. However, when I'm there, it's all senior citizens or almost senior citizens. There is relatively fewer young people. The Met has been trying to change this:

It seems like the arts - opera, ballet and classical music, things that made NYC, have a harder time competing with today's culture.

Where else to go? Montreal, Europe?
I was at Traviata last Friday. I saw quite a few people down in the orchestra section. I went to Boheme a few weeks prior. Same deal. While I will say it dominates older people, there are plenty of others of all ages. It might be that the medium is expensive and young people don't have the cash for it, or, moreover, they haven't been introduced to it properly to gather an appreciation for it.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
It might be that the medium is expensive and young people don't have the cash for it, or, moreover, they haven't been introduced to it properly to gather an appreciation for it.

Probably the latter or playing video games in their mom's basement (joking - sort of).

From my experience, there are many foreigners, especially Russians, at the Met Opera.

Times have changed. When my mother-in-law attended a Brooklyn high school years ago, Toscanini was a household name and classical music classes were required.

She attended Lincoln High on Ocean Parkway.

Quote:
The school was built in 1929, and since graduated three Nobel Prize laureates,[2] as well as many doctors, scientists, engineers, politicians, musicians, artists, and other notable alumni.
There was also:

Quote:
James Madison High School is a public high school in the Sheepshead Bay neighborhood of Brooklyn.

Established in 1925, James Madison High School has graduated seven Nobel Prize winners, famous musicians, authors, and athletes. Two sitting U.S. Senators, Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Chuck Schumer (D-NY), are graduates, as is former Senator Norm Coleman (R-MN). United States Supreme Court Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is also a graduate.
This is what was great about NYC. Middle class students could attend a neighborhood public school and because of the great educational system, a smart & hardworking student became someone. Don't think it happens as frequently now. I don't think schools introduce classical music either.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:14 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times
Quote:
NYC is the best city in the world because we have the best water supply, it's that simple.

That may be the reason you have the world's second best tasting bagels...

Old 02-06-2020, 10:20 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:

Hmm... western NY State and possibly Hudson Valley have cancer clusters (I know quite a number of people who lived in these areas, and have had leukemia), likely related to chemical contaminants in the water, so I have not drank tap water in New York (state or city) since around 1990 when I learned about these clusters. I was given a glass of water at a restaurant in Chinatown (in NYC) last summer, and it was so chlorinated that it tasted like drinking from a public swimming pool (of course, I didn't drink it after the first sip).

San Francisco has fabulous tap water. It comes from Sierra Nevada, and you can almost taste fir forests in it. The same brand tea that I make in SF tastes entirely different from the one I make in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City