Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:57 PM

12 posts, read 21,527 times

Advertisements

pass doubt:

your suggestion sounds good but I definitely do not want to drag my luggage a long way. and the Tappan is a little further north than I wanted to go by train (where I can't smoke)
yup we're taking the LRII from Ronkonkoma to penn ect ect, it's ganna be a long ride and suck but we'll live. I have thought about asking my friend to meet me in Manhattan but I just cant see this person not killing someone himself driving in the city... but I will try to talk him into it. Thank you for the help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 03:58 PM

seventh floor:
I have no idea of the names, I only heard the Deegan in someone else's post, thus the only reason I knew the name for it.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:03 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Yes.. upon further investigation, viewing a map (since I know highways by name, not number).. it appears that the 287 is the Cross Westchester.. which isn't even in the Bronx! It's significantly further up, cutting through White Plains/Westchester.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:19 PM

Thanks all!!! I have it now!!! BMWGUY your suggestion is what we're going with. There is a subway line from penn station that will take us right to 238th and Broadway and at like 6 or 7 am our friend Dave (who lives in Manhattan) said we should be fine taking the subway up that way. Thank you everyone for all of your help, very kind.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 PM

I'll come back with more posts in a year when we're moving over that way , lol. Unless you have any other suggestions for like things to see or do or something....

Old 08-10-2008, 04:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiegirl23 View Post
bmwguy:
I will look the area up, it sounds perfect. and the Riverdale will be open when we get there, thank you!!
You're welcome. That part of Kingsbridge/Riverdale is not a bad drive from 287, especially since your friend can follow the Deegan south from the 287/87 split in Tarrytown, get off at Van Cortlandt Park South exit and take a right and then a left on Broadway and the restaurant will be on the right. It's certainly easier than going all the way into Manhattan, and it's a decent neighborhood around there for you. Also, the breakfasts at the diner are pretty good, and they have off street parking too.

For you, from Penn Station, it's pretty easy too, since you can catch the 1 train at 7th & 33rd and it goes all the way up to Broadway at 238th. It's a direct route, and should take around an hour from Penn Station, not too bad at all really, since you could easily lose that in traffic getting into and out of Manhattan with the car.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiegirl23 View Post
I'll come back with more posts in a year when we're moving over that way , lol. Unless you have any other suggestions for like things to see or do or something....
Sorry, I didn't see this when I posted earlier. What would you be interested in doing, and how much time do you have? If you want a fun day, Central Park can be great on a nice day, what with the amusements, the carousel, etc. And, you're close to the Museum of Natural History that's always a hit. I would say that those are good summer bets for children as well, since there's a lot to like. You could also go someplace like the Museum of the City of New York, both for its history of New York and for its dollhouse collections if your daughter likes that sort of thing.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 PM

naw my daughter is Goth and doesn't like dolls anymore, in fact she would never admit she ever liked dolls, lol. I was thinking something along the lines of Ellis and liberty islands and the empire state building. I want to do central park as well, I heard that was bad too even in the day time... is it? is west better than east? we were thinking about going to the sites on lower Manhattan earlier and then central park later so that we can catch a train to Bronx (Yankee stadium) for the game. kind of an afternoon of siteseeing then off to dinner & the game. My boyfriend having grown up on LI is not as excited bout the siteseeing cuz he's seen it all, but I sure am!!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:49 PM

I probably should have mentioned my daughter is 12 and is thinking she's going on 20... Your idea about the natural history museum sounds good though where is that at? I also wanted to see ground zero, I know it has been years but, I remember what I was doing when it happened.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:02 PM

LOL...yes, the dolls might not be the best hit.

The other sites you have mentioned wanting to do are all great things to see in the city. Central Park is fine in the daytime, and the only area that might give pause would be areas that are desolate, but I think you'd be fine, just be aware of where you are as always in the city. It's very busy around the lower and middle sections of the park on both east and west sides, so I would not worry.

The Museum of Natural History and Planetarium are located at 79th Street and Central Park West. They are always great to go and visit.

Lower Manhattan is a good starting point for the Islands, and the WTC site. You can also hop the Governor's Island ferry which leaves from the Maritime Building at South & Whitehall Streets in Lower Manhattan. The island offers another perspective of the city's skyline and harbor, and it's a neat thing to do, though it's only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to October. The South Street Seaport is interesting as well, for a perspective on maritime history and there's a shopping arcade there as well. You could also walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for a perspective of the river and city. And, the Staten Island Ferry gives a nice view of the harbor, and you can ride out and back, you don't have to get off in Staten Island if you don't want to do so. The Circle Line cruise goes around Manhattan in about three hours and provides a narration of neighborhoods passed on the rivers.

At the Empire State Building, you can get on the Gray Line tour of Manhattan, which is a double decker bus that's hop-on and hop-off at various sites. It offers a few different loops of Manhattan and Brooklyn that give a good overall perspective of the city, and people I know from out of town have liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City