Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 PM

629 posts, read 901,081 times

Advertisements

I agree with the fact that its not all based on housing. I dont know how many of u guys ever even been to Chicago. I think alot of u guys would be surprised. U talk about it like its some small cow town stop over, between here and La. Houston is a SUNBELT SPRAWL CITY! Dont compare Chicago to it. Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the U.S.. Guess what, Phoenix doesn't even have Sunday bus service! Chicago is considered a world class city. Make no mistake about it, u can drop millions there on a condo or home too. What Chicago don't have character? Like u said though, to each his own. My ex wifes roomates is in his 50's. I fell bad that someone his age, who works 60 hrs a week, has only a room to come home to. But, I aint from here, and I know what goes on west of the hudson. California aint no different that here by the way. Their rents and morgates are sickening too. But with lousy public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 PM

20 posts, read 23,259 times
Chicago is definitely clean and cheaper than NYC. There's no debate about that. And lake michigan and lakeshore drive is pretty nice during the summer. But aside from that, I just prefer NYC for its myriad of things to do, restaurants, nightlife, culture, ambience, people. As the above poster said, there's a lot of intangibles that's hard to quantify or explain. I think for most Americans, Chicago is a better fit than NYC. But for those who like what NYC offers, there's no better city to be in. It just boils down to personal preferences. There's no point in getting into an immature city fight.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:54 PM

I agree. The only reason I even used Chicago as example, cause Chicago gets trampled on here alot. Like when they call it the "Second City". It was called that cause after the GREAT CHICAGO FIRE, they basically had to completely rebuild the downtown part of the city, hence "THE Second City". I personally never heard anyone in Chicago bum rap NYC. That the honest god truth. People from LA now, different story. They live in NYC showdow and know it. I never even heard someone from chicago even talk about NYC. Maybe other people witnessed otherwise. Not me though.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:04 PM

20 posts, read 23,259 times
I've met plenty of Chicago people who have trashed NYC in front of my face, even when they know i live here. From my experience, I actually think Chicago people have more of an inferiority complex than Los Angeles. People in L.A. have their own culture and lifestyle, and it's a TOTALLY different city whereas Chicago and NYC have some similarities.

As I said before, it just comes down to your personal tastes and preferences. I thought Chicago was a decent place to visit for a few days during summer, but I would be bored if I had to live there.

Just my two cents.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 PM

I do have to ask u Torque, when u say all this about the culture, ambience, people,etc., u are talking about Mannhatton right? I mean if all 5 bouroughs looked, felt, were just like Mannhatton, I could understand. But even then, shelling 35 grand or so on rent? Just so I can have my own 1 beddroom apt? I aint cultured, and never will be. Or maybe I am, does enjoying an Itilian Ice on Mainstreet, in Flushing, Queens, count as culture? Well I just wanted to shed some light. Hey, some of u posters might be knocking down half a mil or so. So u dont sweat the small stuff anyway.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 PM

32 posts, read 49,029 times
ManhattAn ManhattAn ManhattAn ManhattAn

Get it right!!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:15 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
Not to take sides..but Chicago can't seriously be that bad either. I worked at Citadel...for those of you who don't know what Citadel is..look it up..it's a HUGE Billion-dollar hedgefund. The owner of Citadel, Ken Griffin, started his business out of Chicago, their biggest building and main office is there, and they have chosen, out of all places in the US, to settle there. It really cannot be that bad if someone who makes BILLIONS of dollars has chosen to settle there over NYC.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:18 PM

People from NYC are way more outgoing than people from Chicago. Maybe cause Im from Pittsburgh that I relate to a New Yorker better, I dont know. Enough already with that boring talk. Your NEW YORK CITY life is SOOOOOOOOO exciting, that your posting me back in forth at 1 am! Enough already, with that 2 seconds out of new york and I'd be bored! What can u do here that u couldn't do there? Are u living Jack Nickelson's And Morgan Freeman's Bucket List everyday? And now LA has CULTURE? P.S. If u lived in Chicago, U'd have more than 2 CENTS! U go ahead and keep your 2 CENTS, you'll need it for rent!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:18 PM

32 posts, read 49,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Not to take sides..but Chicago can't seriously be that bad either. I worked at Citadel...for those of you who don't know what Citadel is..look it up..it's a HUGE Billion-dollar hedgefund. The owner of Citadel, Ken Griffin, started his business out of Chicago, their biggest building and main office is there, and they have chosen, out of all places in the US, to settle there. It really cannot be that bad if someone who makes BILLIONS of dollars has chosen to settle there over NYC.
Oh well, that's cool but here are "only" 17 billionaires in Chicago

There are 48 billionaires in NYC, NYC and Moscow, Russia are now tied for the most billionaires in the world.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:20 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL63 View Post
There are 17 billionaires in Chicago

There are 48 billionaires in NYC, NYC and Moscow, Russia are now tied for the most billionaires in the world.
But the fact is, that with ALL of that money, they have chosen to live there, in Chicago...so what I am saying is, it can't be THAT bad. It makes sense that for the 17 billionaires in Chicago that there would be 48 billionaires in NYC....NYC is about 3x bigger so that's a pretty proportionate number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City