Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times

Advertisements

As for the topic can't say I totally disagree. NYC is not middle class friendly, well maybe even up into the late 80's it was but no more. Depending on what you make you can definitely do better in other places. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 AM

629 posts, read 901,397 times
Hey NooYowkur81, that's all I was trying to say. Along with the fact that this is a HUGE country and there are alot of great cities. Years ago, a guy here with a good union job could invest into realestate rental property, etc. The prices now (alot of other cities too) are so crazy, it's getting to the point of impossible to afford a home for yourself even. I looked at a 2 bed, 2 bath condo here in Flushing last summer. 906 sq ft new construction. $498,000.00! In BS Flushing. Here's the kicker. I asked the guy what the holes in the walls were for, U guessed it, AIR CONDITIONING! Nowwhere but here, would u see new construction without central air. Which u had to go out and buy yourself. Cheap upgrades in the bathroom. They couldn't even throw a rod in the closets to hang your clothes on. And the closets were soooo small that u'd have to rent a storage unit somewhere if u had alot of clothes. The kictchen was nice though. Not huge, but good upgrades. Not only are the prices crazy, u dont get a good vaule for it. Alot of the asians around here I guess don't know any better and think that was a good buy. I'm a guy, so SEX IN THE CITY, didn't inspire me. Thats great that people can run around this city doing things and dont spend a dime. I guess i'm bad with money. Cause i seem to spend alot of money here. I had no illussions about NYC. I'm here cause of my ex wife. My intent was not to flame about NYC. Just defend other cities in america. I know its hard to believe, but there are other cities with culture, affluent people, night life, etc. And the average person elsewhere has more disposable cash. Any other city in america you're suppose to spend about 25% of your monthly net pay on rent. Here in NYC, alot of people spend 50%. If your wealthy this place is alot different. I'm white. From what I see, most (no not all ) white people around the nyc area live in 2 places. Mannhattan or LI. Now listen, I know that there are pockets around the outer bouroughs with alot of white people. But alot of them are almost in LI too. 60% of the population of NYC are immigrants. Most from 3rd world countries. Their standards of living and what they will put up with, are alot different from someone who is born and raised in america.I'm not knocking them, it's just the reality of things. In sum respects, NYC reminds me of a 3rd word country. And yes I've spent alot of time in S.A. so I know the difference. You have a very big gap difference here between the haves and haves nots.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,437 times
They were seriously charging that for Flushing? I have found halfway decent condos in Jackson Heights for under 300k.
If you guys all want to know how far your money goes...here is the best link ever for you all ENJOY

:: (I think this is what welder is trying to point out...and he just wants to see why some people prefer to stay...or perhaps not...)

Cost of Living - Cost of Living Calculator from CNNMoney.com

Old 08-15-2008, 09:42 AM

I kid u not, they were! Were they new construction ? Hey check out Wikipedia and compare the differences between Chicago and Nyc. They say that Chicago recieved 42.2 million visitors and Nyc only 40. Maybe they were different yrs though. Still check it out. They will answer your questions about Chicago and people can see that it's a world player along with being an ALPHA city.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I kid u not, they were! Were they new construction ? Hey check out Wikipedia and compare the differences between Chicago and Nyc. They say that Chicago recieved 42.2 million visitors and Nyc only 40. Maybe they were different yrs though. Still check it out. They will answer your questions about Chicago and people can see that it's a world player along with being an ALPHA city.
Well when I think of big cities I think..NYC, LA, Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, then maybe San Diego and all the other ones. I would be extremely surprised to see that more people visited Chicago than NYC.
Anyhow, I just did a price comparison and you definitely do get more bang for your buck in Chicago. Where a receptionist gets paid $17-25/hr (without a degree) in Chicago they say that if you make around $12-18/hr you can live for the same quality....the thing is...how is the job market right now? With the economy suffering as it is..I can't imagine it being that great. If it is...I might have to move back to my birthplace!
While NYC is definitely more "vibrant" as far as things to do etc...I'm one of those simple & plain little gals that just worry about the bang I am getting for my buck, having a nice place, and being financially ahead (comfortable). I don't really care too much about the culture, nightlife, or glitz of anything b/c that doesn't pay the bills and if I can own a house over renting a small shoebox apartment I won't be complaining.

OH and no they are not new construction...I wouldn't even THINK about buying new construction here. These ones were very nice...but all of them were made in the 1950s at least.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Page 3000, that's all i was trying to say. Lets say that your line of work pays 50 grand a yr anywhere in america. But they pay u 150 grand yr here. I'd probaly stay then. Cause in the outer boroughs that would change the gap and be even steven. But if they are only going to pay u 75 or 80, it wouldnt even come close. And most people's jobs dont even come close to making up the difference. Im sure there are alot of people in Mannhattan with good educations and a good job title. Then u follow them home to their apt to find a roomate and a so so apt. There was in article in the paper last yr i think it was. That making 200 a yr now is new 100. Meaning so many people make over a hundred (which is no big deal by mannhattan standard's), that 200 is now the new bar. Also if u are older, and bought into the market yrs ago, your sitting alot prettier than some JONNY COME LATELY. Or if your parents pass u down a house, condo, are even a low rent controlled apt. Your monthly expenses could be similiar to someone living in Chicago, Philly, etc. Having roots here, as opposed to moving here from elsewhere is ALOT different. Old BLUE EYES said if U can make it here, U can make it anywhere. But, to me, MAKING IT and SURVIVING are two different things. U can SURVIVE here on minium wage if u really needed too. But MAKING IT, and I mean, truly MAKING IT, that is really hard to do here compared to elsewhere. The american dream is alot harder here to obtain. NYC ownership is 33%. The lowest in the nation, which has a 69% national average. Those are facts that speak loud and clear about the difference in the standards here as compared to elsewhere.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
Quote:
That can't be right. Chicago does not get more tourists or visitors than NYC. NYC is well ahead. Don't trust everything in Wikipedia. Anybody can change and add or delete things.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
Ofcourse these are foreign visitors. But Chicago received 1.15 million foreign tourists as oppose to NYC which received 7.65 million.

Quote:
Illinois lagged behind top-ranked New York, where the number of visitors increased 23% to 7.91 million in 2007; California, which gained 12% to 5.19 million; and Florida which rose 14% to 4.68 million.

New York City was by far the most popular city, with 7.65 million tourists. Los Angeles ranked second with 2.65 million, followed by Miami, San Francisco, Orlando, Las Vegas and Honolulu.

Chicago Business News, Analysis & Articles | Record number of tourists hit Chicago in 2007 | Crain's

Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 AM

237 posts, read 855,792 times
Quote:
I've travelled all over the U.S.. 47 states, every major city, and every strech of interstate from begining to end! Most states, half a dozen times. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. Lived in Chicago off an on since 99'. Lived in Philly for awhile too. NYC is OVER RATED! I'm been here quite a few times since my early 20's. I was way more impressed with it back then, compared to now that I'm my mid 30's. Spent 4 months here last yr. And 2 months so far this yr. Now, that being said, if you got some BIG job here, I can see your point of view. But most working stiffs can't afford, or could less about broadway, and all the other culture stuff. Maybe all of you people are at broadway plays, the opera, musuems, etc. night and day. There again, if you do, I can see your point of view. But what percentage of the average nyc working stiff does any of that ,on any kind regular basis? Not only because of the cost, just because they don't have any interest in it! I'm a blue collar guy. I work construction ( union BOILERMAKER ). Now believe me, I do ok for a blue collar worker. And my scale is higher in nyc than elsewhere. But look what is cost to rent a crappy apt. And forget about buying one here! The average ny'er would love Chicago over NYC if they seen the neighborhoods and the rent prices! $800 a month for a nice 1 bedroom, walk to the lake and beaches. I also make pretty good buc working in Chicago too. And the dollar goes way further! If you were born here that's different. Or the job thing. I thought the Pittsburgh'ers were sensitive! Get a grip !The quality of daily life in Chicago is way better! There's no contest. 100 grand a yr in nyc, is like 40 anywhere else. What gets me is how many people here are impressed with 50 or 60 grand a yr jobs (outer boroughs of course). They're bragging to me about it, then they walk into their beat up apts, who they share with mommy and daddy. And there 30! I don't get ALL the HYPE! Neither should you!
I do agree with you that NY is very expensive but other places are generally not as good in my opinion. I have lived other places and if I had my choice NY woudl be the place for me. Most of us have a choice as to where they live. NYC is a great place with so much to do yes its a tough city sometimes but you get what you pay for. If you dont like the city then you should relocate yourself to somewhere that you do.

Last edited by engineman529; 08-15-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: change wording

Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Page 3000, Im sure u are right about NYC getting more visitors. In fact, I thought I heard somewhere that NYC was around 60 million. But still, Chicago getting over 42 million ,shows that there's more than a couple cows and Richard Daley running around Chicago. It's a world class city, that's my only point. NYC, Chicago, LA are mega international cities. But out of the 3, Chicago would be the easiest to raise a family and have a good ( I know its an opion ) quality of life. And when I say quality, what the average american would consider. Being 50 and sharing an apt wouldnt fly in most american's eyes. U not worrying about the " Fluff", is what alot of people come to the conclusion when they hit their 30's or 40's. But as I stated before, if your from here, it's different. If I was born and raised here, I probably woulnt leave unless I found myself living like someone who just got off the boat. And even then, I'd probably be well into my 30's before it would hit me. And I guess if I never travelled as extentsive as I have, maybe I wouldnt know any different anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City