Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Pa. cities and towns have a very different look and feel to them, compared to the rest of america. The housing stock, attitudes of the people, etc. Philly to me, is alot more Pittsburgh, than NYC. Did u ever see the movie "13th and Wolf"? If not, rent it. They filmed the entire movie in Pittsburgh. The movie is based on a true story about the mob in Philly. Philly is where the movie was supposed to take place. Now, if Pittsburgh didnt have a similiar look, they wouldnt been able to pull that off.

Is that a NYPD police car at 17th + Market ?

Likewise why would they be shooting a film about NYC in Philadlephia which is currently happening.

I got scolded yesterday for posting pic although Citydata is chock-full of images infiltrating their site. So I will post the links. A film tentatively titled NEW YORK which is being filmed in Philadlephia.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/toojeff/SKrs--N...0/DSC_4123.JPG

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/...63354673_b.jpg

Inqlings: Philly shrugs at a major film shoot | Philadelphia Inquirer | 09/07/2008 (http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080907_Inqlings__Philly_shrugs_at_a_major_film_s hoot.html - broken link)

With a working title of New York, the Kabir Khan-directed film stars John Abraham, Katrina Kaif, and newcomer Neil Nitin Mukesh.

Cash and crew will travel to New York next week to shoot exteriors for two weeks. Then it's back to Philly through November.

You are getting a little carried away with this PA parochial inclusiveness.Maybe 30 years ago that was true but not today.

Parts of Philly resemble Pittsburgh,parts compare to NYC,parts mirror Boston,parts look like Baltimore. NW Philly could be a combination of Vermont + Pasadena, SW Philly industrial scene could be a stand in for Houston or Galveston. Its a huge diverse city in which you can't put a single label on such as "its exactly like Pittsburgh".

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/...fe0958c5_b.jpg

Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 AM

371 posts, read 1,106,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Is that a NYPD police car at 17th + Market ?

Likewise why would they be shooting a film about NYC in Philadlephia which is currently happening.

I got scolded yesterday for posting pic although Citydata is chock-full of images infiltrating their site. So I will post the links. A film tentatively titled NEW YORK which is being filmed in Philadlephia.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/toojeff/SKrs--N...0/DSC_4123.JPG

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/...63354673_b.jpg

Inqlings: Philly shrugs at a major film shoot | Philadelphia Inquirer | 09/07/2008 (http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080907_Inqlings__Philly_shrugs_at_a_major_film_s hoot.html - broken link)

With a working title of New York, the Kabir Khan-directed film stars John Abraham, Katrina Kaif, and newcomer Neil Nitin Mukesh.

Cash and crew will travel to New York next week to shoot exteriors for two weeks. Then it's back to Philly through November.

You are getting a little carried away with this PA parochial inclusiveness.Maybe 30 years ago that was true but not today.

Parts of Philly resemble Pittsburgh,parts compare to NYC,parts mirror Boston,parts look like Baltimore. NW Philly could be a combination of Vermont + Pasadena, SW Philly industrial scene could be a stand in for Houston or Galveston. Its a huge diverse city in which you can't put a single label on such as "its exactly like Pittsburgh".

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/...fe0958c5_b.jpg
That second picture looks like NY but the first one does not

Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Compare Philly to Pittsburgh, not NYC!
N. & S. Broad street & Market west remind me the most of NYC. N. Broad by Temple reminds me of Harlem. never been to Pitt but i'd be surprised if anything over there looked like that.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Im glad I didnt mention how the outskirts reminded me of Erie, Pa.
Welder I think you better put down that acetyline torch, the fumes are seriously impairing your judgement capabilities.

The surrounding counties of Philadlephia are arguably the wealthiest collection of counties in the country after the federal income tax home base of NO Va/MD and NYC metro.

Whats the story? Did a Rittenhouse chick break your heart? A couple South Philly Italians rough you up ? Blood vengence. I mean give me abreak with the Erie comparison. No offense to Erie but get real.

Last edited by rainrock; 09-07-2008 at 08:42 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM

629 posts, read 901,611 times
Why is everyone so defensive here? I never said I disliked Philly? I seen some beautiful rowhouses posted here, and when I lived there. Are the rowhouses in Rittenhouse affordable? The city center neighborhoods has rowhouses that sell for millions. Is that cheap? To me, Philly is more Pittsburgh like, than NYC. Ya Philly is more happening than Pittsburgh. Alot more dead than Chicago though, and certainly nowhere near NYC. Thats my opinon. Philly feels like a modern day 18th century city to me. Bestsy Ross's house doesnt even look to out of place. I could almost imagine Ben Franklin walking down them streets when I lived ther. All them narrow streets and history. NYC feels so much more modern. I know its rich in its own history. But I dont feel it when walking down the streets here. You know the first time I ever worked at the the US STEEL plant (Edgor Thompson) in Braddock (just outside the city of Pitt), the history I could feel running through my vains. That was Andrew Carnegie's first steel mill. He was the Bill Gates of a hundred yrs ago, for those who never heard of him. Thats the kinda feelings Id get In Philly, and Pa. in general in alot of areas. Never really got that feeling in NYC. I had a vegas cabbie, who was born an raised in the Bronx, tell me that Vegas and NYC are just alike. I dont see the comparision, but he did. The east coast is EXPENSIVE! Whether your talking DC, Boston, Nyc, Philly, etc. And u BURN with an ACCETYLINE torch, and WELD with a STINGER.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM

Ya, I got roughed up, that was it. Are the guys in Philly tougher now too? Erie reference was to areas outside the city. West of the city off the turnpike.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 AM

Solibs, I just got in from having my morning coffee. I have some new perspective. Besides, the history,etc, I can now pin point what really sticks out to me, comparing NYC and Philly. NEIGHBORHOODS! Now Nyc definetly has its fare share of neighborhoods. But, alot of neighborhoods in NYC feel very impersonal. Like here in Flushing for example. Anything near Main street or anything that's close to Northern Blvd. Any place where there's alot of high rise apt buildings or condos, it just feels different. Outside of downtown Philly, it feels like one big neighborhood. I know there's big differences in all the different neighborhoods there. Philly's alot more family friendly (minus the killings LOL). Can u see an 8yr old kid, who lives in Midtown Mannhattan, telling his mother, that he'll see her later cause he's going out to ride his bike? I would think MOST younger kids there (Mannhattan), along with alot of the outerboroughs, are under ADULT supervision when they go outside to play. Chicago's lakefront neighborhoods feel the same way. Great areas to live in, until u start having kids. Plus they tend to be alot more transient in nature too. A renting neighborhood will ALWAYS be different, than a mostly home owner neighborhood. People in Philly, during the summer, sitting on their stoops, was a throw back to Pittsburgh to me. Definately not Chicago. Im sure alot of people do that here in NYC. But not in the big apt building or condo neighborhoods. College Point neighborhood, felt like Pittsburgh to me. Please dont take pictures and start comparing either. My ex wife even agreed with me when I stayed there and made that comment to her. It just felt very working class to me. The streets over there are narrow by NYC standards. I did feel sorta isolated over there. It almost felt like I wasnt even in NYC at times. Dunkin Donuts closed by 10! It aint 24/7 over there, that's for sure! Philly feels like a big city, but not a MEGA city like NYC. I dont care how many NY'ers move there or live there. Until they plow all them rowhouses down, and build a bunch of highrise apt and condo buildings, it will never come close. Look how easy them rowhouses in Center City blend into the downtown area. Phillys downtown, by no means feels overwhelming. It blends so easy, u can hardly feel the seperation. Pittsburgh's downtown, has a river on each side of it. The HILL DISTRICT (lower part) use to blend right into the downtown too. They build the Civic Arena there. Tore all them homes down.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Sometime last year, I posted this. I go to Philly for Penn Relays every year. I stay at friends house in Spruce Hill, and the Victorian-Style houses are downright georgeous!

And given that me and my wife want to both open to relocation, (due to NYC being downright expensive), We are giving Philly a shot. I took a LOT for me to even think about leaving NYC, but a family changes that!

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...th-philly.html

Old 09-08-2008, 03:54 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
That second picture looks like NY but the first one does not
I disagree.. the first one does look like NY if you take out the guys with guns.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:55 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I disagree.. the first one does look like NY if you take out the guys with guns.
No you can actually tell the difference look at the picture carefully
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City