Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:55 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
.....Because the equipment is designed for men......
How so? the machines/equipment are designed to work you out irrespective of gender. For instance, if the pull-down bar is too long, you just get a shorter one I don't see how this is gender specific
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:59 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
How so? the machines/equipment are designed to work you out irrespective of gender. For instance, if the pull-down bar is too long, you just get a shorter one I don't see how this is gender specific

Okay. maybe I am just picky about my gym equipment. But I like the smaller equipment designed just for women. Is is nice not to have to adjust the thing 5 different ways b/f you use it IMO

And the pull down bar on the machine she is talking about you cant "just get a shorter bar" it is part of the machine

Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
.....The lat pull down thing is a good example. When you sit you should not have to then stand up to reach the bar you pull down. You should be able to reach it from where you sit. The gym I go to now (Columbia's b/c it is part of my tuition) this particular machine is not adjustable that way, but I use it anyway and its fine....l
I am 6'3 and I can't reach those bars in a seated position - I have to grab it on my way down. However, it seems this is a height issue not one of gender. If you can grab it from a seated position, you're probably not going to get the full extension required to get a good back workout....oh well -

Old 08-19-2008, 03:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Quote:
I am 6'3 and I can't reach those bars in a seated position - I have to grab it on my way down. However, it seems this is a height issue not one of gender. If you can grab it from a seated position, you're probably not going to get the full extension required to get a good back workout....oh well -

Exactly, the same machine in the womens area at gym I used to go to, I could reach it.

But I see your point b/c a really short man would have the same problems.

I just need my own gym inside my apartment lol.... to bad my apartment is way to small

Old 08-19-2008, 03:06 PM

52 posts, read 202,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda
I dunno, why don't we have a pay scale for different ethnicities too then, under your thinking. Pick your ethnicity that will get charged more than the others. This is illegal whether or not its a governmental entity or a private entity which is open to the public. Similarly, this is true regarding gender discrimination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Businesses might "offer society value" (although too many of them offer society a wide range of accompanying social problems as well) but that does not mean they are free to violate the law. There were quite a lot of lunch counters and motels in the US that subscribed to your theory, which was then thoroughly rejected by the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Businesses are most certainly not "free to discriminate freely."
Yes, except the law as it stands at the moment is BS too. Consider what would happen to a business which catered to a black-only or white-only crowd in a free society where each individual's inalienable rights (regardless of race or sex) are protected. It would be entirely irrational. They would undoubtedly lose a large amount of business. If not only from the people who they are denying access to, but also from the people who reject their business ethic. Such a business wouldn't survive.

Remember, you have a right to your life, but you shouldn't have a right to step on my property against my discretion and force me to sell you my goods, no matter the color or creed. It is my private property and in all cases, rights of admission should be reserved to the owner.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,478 times
Quote:
What gym are you talking about, I have never heard of a gym charging men 60 per month more than women, that's crazy.

And don't scoff those women so quickly, women still have a longer ladder to climb in the work arena, far making up for a gym membership benefit.
It's actually only $60 more for the annual membership which breaks down to a whopping $5 per month.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 PM

65 posts, read 281,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsky View Post
Yes, except the law as it stands at the moment is BS too. Consider what would happen to a business which catered to a black-only or white-only crowd in a free society where each individual's inalienable rights (regardless of race or sex) are protected. It would be entirely irrational. They would undoubtedly lose a large amount of business. If not only from the people who they are denying access to, but also from the people who reject their business ethic. Such a business wouldn't survive.

Remember, you have a right to your life, but you shouldn't have a right to step on my property against my discretion and force me to sell you my goods, no matter the color or creed. It is my private property and in all cases, rights of admission should be reserved to the owner.
Opening your own business requires that you comply with numerous federal, state, and local laws. These laws include anti-discrimination statutes. If you don't want to comply with these laws, then don't open your own business.

"Private property" is a concept that has evolved over the centuries. In the past, land was never considered a commodity in the sense it is today.

The government can tax your business. It can take your business. It can require that you comply with the laws set forth by the legislature, the representatives of which are elected by the public, including yourself.

If you don't want to play by the rules, then simply don't play.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 PM

I guess it's o.k to pay men more than women doing the same job then.....

Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Quote:
Ooooh 6'3" huh? My magic height. ANTYWAYS, on the lat pulldown my 5'2" self stands on the seat to grab the bar then I jump off into the seat while holding the bar with the weight. Works just fine and its kinda fun as you jump down with the bar kind of slowing you down so you feel yourself in the air for a second. I could also slowly sit down but of course I have more momentum from the jump down, then I start my set seated and holding the bar down.

As far as those ankle weights and wrist thingies and all that GIRLIE shiat, there's a reason you dont see pros or men working out with that stuff. If you do exactly what the guys do you will find your weights work-outs a lot more efficient and achieving better results. Doing little silly stuff wont add much in the way of increasing your physique and hence toning you up. But this is just my opinion from having worked out in gyms for 14 years.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,478 times
Quote:
I guess it's o.k to pay men more than women doing the same job then.....

SOrry, but there are instances when men pay less than women and I see it all the time. Haircuts are just one example. Women always pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City