Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:59 AM

9 posts, read 103,001 times

Advertisements

Beware! Contrary to outside appearances, Tudor City is very pet and child unfriendly. Maybe if more people with children and pets come, we can change that, especially at 45 Tudor City Place where they threaten to sue you for children "making noise" in the elevators/hallways/ and even in your own apt.!One tenant spent $8,000 on legal fees trying to allow his dog to live with him, and he lost!

Old 08-01-2010, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 15,214 times
Overall Tudor city is a GREAT place to live - just be careful with the management and board for 45 Tudor City Place. Tom Higgins (president of the board) is a cunning old man who would sell his wife if he could make a profit...yes, without going into specifics, thats how bad he is.

The so called super (jack) is an a$$hole who is basically Tom Higgins little lapdog...he has no respect for the tenants, never does any work, will lie to you and put off getting any work done to your apartment as a result of a water leak or any other!! Be warned about the idiots running 45 TCP - otherwise, really nice area, crosstown buses at your doorstep and grand central only 3 blocks away (lex entrance).

Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 14,963 times
Default 45 Tudor a great place to live

It appears that some people have personal gripes against 45 Tudor City Place and, in particular, Tom Higgins. I find these remarks to be malicious and unfounded. 45 Tudor City Place is one of the most well-run buildings in Tudor City and the management keeps the building financially sound. Personally, I work hard for my money and am glad that the coop Board (and Mr. Higgins) is responsive when people do not follow the rules. I don't want my investment going down the tubes and 45 Tudor City is one place where I get value for my hard-earned dollars

Last edited by BigAppleBaby; 05-31-2011 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: font symbols were showing up and they weren't necessary

Old 07-07-2011, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 29,799 times
Thumbs up 45 Tudor the best

I honestly dont understand those with imaginary beefs about 45 Tudor. One of the best run and financialy sound buildings in Tudor City. Tom may be a curmudgeon but rather have someone like him who watch's every penny and runs a good building. as to being children unfriendly check the great roof deck and see the happy children playing there, and walking in the building. And personaly happy to be in a no dog building for a change except we have the oldest living grandfathered in dogs living here???
Beware of the idiots badmouthing a good building, wonder how much they do for the building except for eating all the food at the much appreciated and attended Xmas party

Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 29,799 times
Default are you from Mars????

EVERY coop building in NYC has the same move-in move-out requirements for deposits & insurance (only the amounts vary and many make 45 seem like a bargain). As to the laundry room staying open how would you like your daughter to be alone in the basement after the porter goes home? Providing you let him.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
I love Tudor City, though I've never lived there. It's like a wonderful secret enclave. Except you have that damn steep hill going home every night.

Leaks, unfortunately, can happen anywhere. So don't worry unnecessarily, but think about renter's insurance.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:31 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympus123 View Post
From my experience with this apartment, Viralmd is correct. I will be the subtenant for a shareholder in a coop. So far, the approval process has been annoying, on my part, because they asked for numerous information, such as multiple credit checks. I also had an interview and I had to sign multiple agreements that had pages of rules to follow.

Thanks for the responses, so far, guys. This has been very helpful.
I would also check to see if you are allowed to renew your lease after the first year or two.

Some coops have a limit on how many years in a row an apartment in their building can be rented. This is for legal reasons, a certain percentage of their units MUST be owner occupied, so the number of apartments that can be rented is very restricted. Some buildings only allow an owner to rent their apartment for a year or two, others allow it indefinitely provided the ownership occupancy doesn't dip below requirements and there aren't many rental vacancies anyway.

If you really like the place, it would suck finding out you'd only be allowed to rent it for a year (or two, max) if the Coop has rules on that. Best to check it out and make sure!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Tudor City is a place I had no idea about other than the name. Reading the posts has been very informative.

Were they BUILT as co-ops or converted from rentals?

To the OP: pipes are pipes and co-ops ALL worry more about water damage than even fire. I lived in a new building that was only 4 years old when it burst a main on a middle floor and flooded out 16 apartments and cascaded down 4 floors...the damage was in the MILLIONS. Some doofus in maintenance turned on a main valve too fast and the "water hammer" smashed the pipe running through an empty apartment.

So they will all caution you to report water leaks and DON'T REPAIR SINKS YOURSELF. It was also the first thing I heard when I moved in.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Tudor City is a place I had no idea about other than the name. Reading the posts has been very informative.

Were they BUILT as co-ops or converted from rentals?

To the OP: pipes are pipes and co-ops ALL worry more about water damage than even fire. I lived in a new building that was only 4 years old when it burst a main on a middle floor and flooded out 16 apartments and cascaded down 4 floors...the damage was in the MILLIONS. Some doofus in maintenance turned on a main valve too fast and the "water hammer" smashed the pipe running through an empty apartment.

So they will all caution you to report water leaks and DON'T REPAIR SINKS YOURSELF. It was also the first thing I heard when I moved in.
Tudor City was originally a cluster of rental apartment buildings and a hotel or two. The Tudor City complex was later bought by the Helmsleys who then had them converted to Co-ops.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympus123 View Post
So I'm moving into a studio apt., in Tudor City, and I was wondering what you guys think of it. Have any of you heard complaints on it? I found a really good deal and basically, it just seems to be too good, so I do have my concerns. It's a coop and the board of director mentioned that if I have any water leaks (it's a prewar building, so the pipes aren't exactly new), I should talk to the front desk. This got me thinking about how often this happens. Obviously, they will not tell me the entire truth because they want my rent money. It'd be great to hear your thoughts on this, as well as any experience regarding the area, regardless of whether you lived there or not.

Anyway, any type of comment/opinion would be helpful (even if you just want to say "it sucks"!!).
you mean your moving into a CLOSET in Tudor city. There studios are VERY VERY VERY SMALL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: