Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:46 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,632,352 times

Advertisements

rlrl,

I believe that the redesignation of lines took place in September or October of 1979. Yes, the old RR was green. The map used to be a rainbow to behold. And there were lots of routes that no longer exist...do you remember the EE train (Continental Avenue to Whitehall Street), or the Chambers Street special?

I'm not sure when they retiled 49 Street/7 Avenue. I know that the first station done under the capital improvement plan was Bowling Green, which I believe reopened in its new decor in late 1979 or early 1980.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,845,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirlin6 View Post
My favorite from the past few weekends has been the 5 running on the 2 line and the 2 running on the 5 line. And I don't mean the simple 5 labeled trains running on the 2, I mean the actual 5 trains running on the 5 line in the Bronx or Brooklyn and running up or down the west side.
That one has me confuzzled, too. I understand when the A runs on the C line, because the C isn't running, but I don't get the reason for completely switching the 2 and the 5 ...

Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,556,538 times
Track layout has a lot to do with why the route X can run on the Y and vice versa.

For example, the M train from Metropolitan Av. in Queens can run up and merge with the F/V after Essex St. and merge with the C after Broadway-Lafayette at West. 4th and end up all the way in Inwood.

Last edited by 009; 08-22-2008 at 03:15 PM..

Old 08-22-2008, 05:26 PM

That business with the A and C was going on because of repairs at Jay Street station. It minimized the number of trains that would have to pass through the work area.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,845,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That business with the A and C was going on because of repairs at Jay Street station. It minimized the number of trains that would have to pass through the work area.
But what's the deal with the 2 and the 5? It's not as though one of the lines is being shut down and re-routed, the 2 runs on the 5 and the 5 runs on the 2. It's just very confusing .....

Old 08-23-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
But what's the deal with the 2 and the 5? It's not as though one of the lines is being shut down and re-routed, the 2 runs on the 5 and the 5 runs on the 2. It's just very confusing .....
I'll see if I can find out. The IRT operates almost completely separately from the rest of the system. People who work in IRT towers or on IRT trains don't generally interact with the other divisions. But as soon as I find out the reason for those reroutes, I'll post it. (I suspect it has to do with signals and/or switches in the area of 149 Street/Grand Concourse, where the 2 and 5 lines split or merge, depending on which direction they're going).

Old 08-23-2008, 04:15 PM

838 posts, read 1,213,209 times
I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for saying this...but if you have children/babies..please do not inconvenience the rest of us with your stroller as you goggle about during rush hour. If at all possible, make your child walk....it helps w/ childhood obesity...or carry them with those strap things. Also, don't choose to go out to grocery shop or go to your mommy and me club between these hours : 7am-10m and 3pm-8pm. You have ALL day to be a housewife riding on the train..can you please just save the space for us working people during rush hour?
WE don't want to hear your rotten child screaming....and we don't want to be ran over by your stroller..etc.etc. Is that too much to ask? We have had a hard day at work...the last thing I can think of, at 5pm, is having to be ran over by your stroller and hearing your baby scream bloody murder since you're feeding him nasty formula instead of giving him your booby.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-23-2008 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 08-23-2008, 04:21 PM

187 posts, read 675,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
If at all possible, make your child walk....it helps w/ childhood obesity.
Just not on the subway stairs, especially during rush hour. Stairs at subway stations are not a good place to teach your toddler how to climb stairs. Kindly pick them up and carry them down, or take the elevator.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:22 PM

175 posts, read 550,172 times
If you know how the area where you're going is laid out, and where the nearest subway stop is, then I'd agree that using a map is pretty easy. Some of the transfer points could be clearer, but I agree in general. However, to a visitor, the map can be overwhelming.

Also, if you're from out of town or going somewhere unfamiliar, you might have no idea where the nearest station is. The map isn't much help with streets and numbers, just with subway stops. You can put two addresses into Hopstop, and it will tell you how to get to the nearest subway, what train to take, what station to exit, and where you'll have to walk to get to your destination. It will estimate how long the ride will take (something not on the map). So, there is a lot more information available.

I'm not against maps, but not everyone enjoys reading them.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:22 PM

838 posts, read 1,213,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler13 View Post
Just not on the subway stairs, especially during rush hour. Stairs at subway stations are not a good place to teach your toddler how to climb stairs. Kindly pick them up and carry them down, or take the elevator.
Agreed. I should have been more specific. It's extremely annoying to wait for a parent to walk their 2 year old up the stairs. HELLO...safety precautions you idiots. They can get trampled over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City