Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:20 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,493 times

Advertisements

Yea watch out for Bed-Stuy because despite the gentrification trends there are blocks where the bullets are still flying. You may want to check out Jamaica Queens as a alternate if Jackson Heights doesnt work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 05:49 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Yea watch out for Bed-Stuy because despite the gentrification trends there are blocks where the bullets are still flying. You may want to check out Jamaica Queens as a alternate if Jackson Heights doesnt work out.
Bed Stuy is a classic example that danger still lurks in areas in transition and that one must exercise judicious care in moving in. It doesn't mean that one shouldn't move in, just that there are extra measures of caution and vetting to determine a proper fit between the would be resident and the stats for the target area.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:52 PM

45 posts, read 114,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Clinton hill is very nice too. I was impressed.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:07 AM

185 posts, read 752,223 times
Your price range is reasonable for New York.
New York City is generally VERY VERY safe compared to other major cities. That said there are areas of North Brooklyn and South Bronx to be careful of. These places are not outright dangerous, but still require more caution than other areas.

Check the NYC Affordable Housing Resource Center at: NYC Affordable Housing Resource Center

You should apply early before you even get to New York for Public Housing as the wait can be years, but Public housing here is Amazingly nice compared to other cities, and not just poor people. You qualify for incomes up to around $55,000 a year. Almost all developments have huge apartments, free electricity, heat, water, and have huge parks and trees all around. Search for NYCHA. All my assumptions of public housing were totally shattered when I got to NY. I think it is possibly the best that there is.

Section 8 on the other hand is good if you need it but I would not recommend, as buildings tend to be dirtier, more dangerous. And mostly very poor.

Try housing lotteries, There are many middle income apartment lotteries advertised in papers and that above NYC GOV website, search all those links, but those are the best bets, NYCHA, and middle income lotteries.

Being white, you will probably stick out in many neighborhoods, but you will be safe, and race isnt as big of an issue here since everyone is used to diversity. Taxi? No way, subway is totally safe, and Buses are VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY safe. Buses and trains are 24 hours a day and very extensive, if you feel more comfortable, you can get nearly anywhere by bus at night and they will stop where you want after hours to make sure that you are safe.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:18 AM

185 posts, read 752,223 times
^ Oh, here is a page with some of the lotteries for middle and low income apartments, most are brand new construction and very nice Current Apartment Rental Lottery Opportunities - NYC Affordable Housing Resource Center

Also the Mitchell Lama apartments that I have seen aren't as nice but I suppose better than Section 8, not as nice as NYCHA tho.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
I disagree with Section 8 being dirtier than NYCHA.. it just depends on where you move to. There's some NYCHA like Ravenswood that it feels like your apartment is a closet and some of them have a pillar going right through your living room which is really annoying.. and then there's Queensbridge which has a nice amount of space. The Terrace in Astoria is Section 8, and the apartment is probably bigger than my co-op, and it's right next to Astoria Park.. can't beat that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City