Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:41 PM

539 posts, read 215,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
When's the last time anyone seen a skellsy board on the streets? I remember melting crayons into bottle caps, started out with the tedious method of using matches and lighters, upgraded to using a frying pan on the stovetop. They came out much nicer that way, no lumps or burned fingertips.
We called it skully and depending on whose street you were playing on, the board had either 9 boxes or 13 boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:12 PM

539 posts, read 215,839 times
Read about the individual street signs for the different boro's. Read about the different paint jobs on the trains over the years. Read about all the department stores that have left over the years Alexander's, EJ Korvettes( anybody else know this was Eight Jewish Korean Veterans? ), Klein's, Robert Hall's, Woolworth's and on and on.....sad. I remember the old Blue and Gold license plates. I remember the old black and green police cars. My grandparents lived on the Upper West Side on 94th st and Columbus, a block away from Central Park in an apartment they were on a waiting list for 10 years for. They paid less than $100 a month. Try to get that anywhere now. You can't even rent a parking spot for that.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:59 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,667,429 times
Xrouteman, I think you would enjoy the website Forgotten NY. The webmaster also does guided tours of unusual places though out the city.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,751 times
Thank You All:
I just finished reading this whole thread and was completely uplifted. I was born and raised in Manhattan, lived on 102 and Amsterdam, the Douglas Projects.
I went to school at Holy Name on 97th and Amsterdam.
High School was Manhattan Vocational and Technical HS on 96 and 1st Ave. I think it is no longer there!
Went in the military at 18 in 1968. Station in San Diego, Ca. Got out in 1972 and worked for the Postal Service on 33rd street, GPO1. I left back to Cal in 1975 and haven't been back HOME since then. This thread has given me hope of coming back to visit before I depart this world.
By the way the only thing I have left for memories is a 60's era subway token about the size of a nickel with the Y in the center and a 1972 NYC Subway map.

Thanks for the memory ride.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:51 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,970,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrouteman View Post
Read about all the department stores that have left over the years Alexander's, EJ Korvettes( anybody else know this was Eight Jewish Korean Veterans?
I've heard that for over 50 years, but it's urban legend and not true.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 PM

93 posts, read 234,660 times
Talk about stores that left.. I still remember Crazy Eddie's which I walked past every day after school.

Their prices weren't that insane though, certainly no better than J&R Music World, which I still remember was only a single store before they bought up the whole block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City