Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,260,513 times

Advertisements

Didn't Greyhound make up some budget bus line to compete with the Chinatown buses? I think its called Bolt, not sure. I would think those are a little more reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM

821 posts, read 1,041,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Not meaning to rain on your parade but be wary of some Chinatown bus operators as their buses have been known to sometimes lack reliability and quite a few have ended up off the highway with hapless passengers not able to reach their destinations in tip top form or on schedule. Sometimes 10 bucks doesn't get one beyond the Jersey Turnpike.
I took the the chinatown bus to DC once worked out great. I've taken the chinatown bust to Boston a dozen or so times and it was quite efficient.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:37 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,988,756 times
Quote:
Not meaning to rain on your parade but be wary of some Chinatown bus operators as their buses have been known to sometimes lack reliability and quite a few have ended up off the highway with hapless passengers not able to reach their destinations in tip top form or on schedule. Sometimes 10 bucks doesn't get one beyond the Jersey Turnpike.
I wouldn't take Chinatown bus either.. but other bus companies such as Bolt or Megabus can get you to DC for as low as $1.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 AM

821 posts, read 1,041,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Didn't Greyhound make up some budget bus line to compete with the Chinatown buses? I think its called Bolt, not sure. I would think those are a little more reliable.
Not as cheap anymore, Plus i like to support the little guy as much as possible.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,579,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I wouldn't take Chinatown bus either.. but other bus companies such as Bolt or Megabus can get you to DC for as low as $1.
How does one get that for one buck? What's the catch?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
Check the bus schedules for service disruptions, and plan on it taking a longer time than usual. Some of the stations will have difficulty being serviced on Inauguration Day itself because of their location. Limo-lock is horrible at Inaugural time, due to road closures, and DC's already horrible traffic becomes nearly impassible. This happens for other events as well, but the Inaugurals are always the worst for the traffic situation.

So, it's best to arrive in the early hours of the morning, leaving NYC at an odd hour since blocks in all direction are closed to all vehicular traffic. That will get you to the parade route at an early hour as well, which is a plus. And, depending upon the guidelines, some of the routes are open in the morning, very early morning, and then are closed to create a secure perimeter.

And, remember the Inaugural Parade route on Pennsylvania Avenue is not that long, hence the high number of people crowded into the area to view the parade and passers-by. That's one reason why the tickets are required, and the other is security.

It can be done, but plan accordingly. It's not as simple as hopping on the Chinatown bus, waving to the President-elect or President (depending upon time of day), and leaving.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,579,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post

It can be done, but plan accordingly. It's not as simple as hopping on the Chinatown bus, waving to the President-elect or President (depending upon time of day), and leaving.
I regret to reiterate this point for interested parties, but some Chinatown operators do not have a great record. In the scenario you referred to, one may quite well end up waving only to the state trooper trying to rescue one from off the road.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
Quote:
I regret to reiterate this point for interested parties, but some Chinatown operators do not have a great record. In the scenario you referred to, one may quite well end up waving only to the state trooper trying to rescue one from off the road.
LOL...indeed. Mega and Bolt are more reliable from what I have been told by people who have used the services.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-05-2008 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City