Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 AM

14 posts, read 37,649 times

Advertisements

Whats up everybody,
Im looking into an apartment in the Elmhurst area and i want to know what you guys think about this area. I have heard that the area around Elmhurst Ave station and Elmhurst hospital are not that great. So i would appreciate any feedback about this neighborhood.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkar123 View Post
Whats up everybody,
Im looking into an apartment in the Elmhurst area and i want to know what you guys think about this area. I have heard that the area around Elmhurst Ave station and Elmhurst hospital are not that great. So i would appreciate any feedback about this neighborhood.
Thanks
Elmhurst is generally safe and decent but I have a personal preference for Astoria, Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills. That said, in any of these areas one can find sketchy parts. I don't know of any significant problems around the station and hospital during regular hours.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,327 times
Quote:
Whats up everybody,
Thanks
That is true,the area gets better on the other side of Broadway going towards Queens Blvd. It isn't as bad as Corona though. There are no housing projects in Elmhurst.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Elmhurst is generally safe and decent but I have a personal preference for Astoria, Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills. That said, in any of these areas one can find sketchy parts. I don't know of any significant problems around the station and hospital during regular hours.
yeah I been looking into Rego Park as well but it looks so boring there. Elmhurst looks a little more up beat. Am i wrong about rego park? I don't know too much about it.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
yeah I been looking into Rego Park as well but it looks so boring there. Elmhurst looks a little more up beat. Am i wrong about rego park? I don't know too much about it.
Rego Park is clean and esthetic - but, yeah, if you're looking for hipster, that's not gonna do it. Astoria would be the place - hence the higher rents there. But if you live in rego Park, you can still hang out in Astoria, Woodside, etc. It's your call.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:15 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Rego Park is clean and esthetic - but, yeah, if you're looking for hipster, that's not gonna do it. Astoria would be the place - hence the higher rents there. But if you live in rego Park, you can still hang out in Astoria, Woodside, etc. It's your call.
I might think of Rego Park as ascetic, but not esthetic.

very different meanings.

but that's just my opinion.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 28,259 times
I wrote a good long post but got deleted when I clicked post and now i cant retrieve it! I lived in elmhurst for over 5 years and here's my opinion

Heres a simplified version of it.

Lets start off with the bad.

1. too many homless people or mentally/physically disabled people around the neighborhood. they usually keep to themselves but sometimes they do ask for money when you walk by them. Theres a homless people nest in one of the subway exit. it smells really really BAD of urine.

2. low crime but women should watch out. My sister has been followed and harassed couple of times in this area. I never let my girlfriend walk in the area alone but thats because i'm over protective.

3. not many or hardly any police officers patrolling this neighborhood.

the good

1. easy acess to getting anything. Two very big chinese supermarkets in the area right next to each other and you can pratically find any kind of Asian cuisine restaurants for a very modest or cheap price. there's two malls thats two trains stops or 20 minute walking distance away.

2. two very big parks with some kind of events during the weekends. sometimes its a basketball game or a christian concert etc.

3. Alot of people in thte area during day time, very quiet during night time.

Thats about it. I do wish that there were more cops in the night time patrolling around since the neighborhood gets very quiet and no ones around so anything could happen without anyone hearing anything at night.

hope this helps you

Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henners124 View Post
I wrote a good long post but got deleted when I clicked post and now i cant retrieve it! I lived in elmhurst for over 5 years and here's my opinion

Heres a simplified version of it.

Lets start off with the bad.

1. too many homless people or mentally/physically disabled people around the neighborhood. they usually keep to themselves but sometimes they do ask for money when you walk by them. Theres a homless people nest in one of the subway exit. it smells really really BAD of urine.

2. low crime but women should watch out. My sister has been followed and harassed couple of times in this area. I never let my girlfriend walk in the area alone but thats because i'm over protective.

3. not many or hardly any police officers patrolling this neighborhood.

the good

1. easy acess to getting anything. Two very big chinese supermarkets in the area right next to each other and you can pratically find any kind of Asian cuisine restaurants for a very modest or cheap price. there's two malls thats two trains stops or 20 minute walking distance away.

2. two very big parks with some kind of events during the weekends. sometimes its a basketball game or a christian concert etc.

3. Alot of people in thte area during day time, very quiet during night time.

Thats about it. I do wish that there were more cops in the night time patrolling around since the neighborhood gets very quiet and no ones around so anything could happen without anyone hearing anything at night.

hope this helps you
Those people aren't homeless,they reside at the Leben home for adults which is on 45th ave,but just a couple of blocks away from the Elmhurst Ave subway station. They are heavily medicated and aren't much of a threat otherwise they would be in a secure institution. These people can come and go from their group home. But you are right they do tend to keep to themselves.

There is more crime on Roosevelt Ave than on Broadway. Elmhurst is a very densely populated area,but I would say that the pros outnumber the cons. You might not see the police around much but the undercover cops you will see them around,I can spot them a block or two away. I know the cars they drive and what to look for.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I might think of Rego Park as ascetic, but not esthetic.

very different meanings.

but that's just my opinion.
you're certainly entitled to your opinion and i respect it.. i repeat mine - rego park is esthetic and pleasing to the eyes. i much prefer it to jackson heights for that reason. but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

and i may not come across as too knowledgeable but i can distinguish "ascetic" from "esthetic.' last time i checked there were no stand out in the crowd holy beings around in rego park.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 11-12-2008 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: omission

Old 11-13-2008, 12:54 PM

How would this part of Elmhurst compare to Woodside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City