Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:34 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamicharacter View Post
Same problem but I use my tax return to by ulimited becauses the stores by me run out of weekly's
can one use a tax return to purchase transportation? or do you mean tax refund?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 06:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I get transit chek. It's nice and convenient since it's automatically taken out of my paycheck, and also cheaper than buying the monthly one. Find out if your employer has it, it's worth getting.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I get transit chek. It's nice and convenient since it's automatically taken out of my paycheck, and also cheaper than buying the monthly one. Find out if your employer has it, it's worth getting.

Also some employers will actually get you the metrocards instead of the checks.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 PM

You mean pay for your monthly metrocard?

Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
You mean pay for your monthly metrocard?
Well some do that as an additional compensation, but I was referring to instead of getting the voucher they actually get the cards to give for the transit deduction - especially since the booths don't exchange cards for the vouchers anymore. So if you get the cards at work, you don't even have to go to the machines!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:56 PM

That's nice. I keep my transit chek for the whole year. My card is so worn away that I barely know which way to slide it in anymore Good thing I got a new one for December.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
That's nice. I keep my transit chek for the whole year. My card is so worn away that I barely know which way to slide it in anymore Good thing I got a new one for December.
it would help if the turnstiles wouldn't malfunction the way they do even when one slides the card in the right way. But that's the least of the concerns of the MTA with the impending fare hikes/reduction in services.

Rachael, I really beileve that soon there will be more people becoming fare beaters and forced into a life of fare evasion. Can you imagine yourself rushing to grab that subway with your worn metrocard and meantinme a couple of 80 year-old grannies are forced into a life of crime - one being the lookout and the other doing an Olympic style jump over the turnstile?

Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
speaking of turnstiles, whats up with the full body ones that you cant fit your bags through and cause huge back ups, why were those even invented

Old 11-22-2008, 07:19 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
it would help if the turnstiles wouldn't malfunction the way they do even when one slides the card in the right way. But that's the least of the concerns of the MTA with the impending fare hikes/reduction in services.

Rachael, I really beileve that soon there will be more people becoming fare beaters and forced into a life of fare evasion. Can you imagine yourself rushing to grab that subway with your worn metrocard and meantinme a couple of 80 year-old grannies are forced into a life of crime - one being the lookout and the other doing an Olympic style jump over the turnstile?
I didn't start paying for the train until I was 18. Used to hop all the time. Then I got caught. Actually got arrested one time for using my school issued metrocard on a holiday.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I didn't start paying for the train until I was 18. Used to hop all the time. Then I got caught. Actually got arrested one time for using my school issued metrocard on a holiday.
i actually once saw a short, older man in short pants try to convince the clerk that he was a third grader!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: