Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:33 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times

Advertisements

I, too, like the solidity and permanence of a pre-war apartment, though some of the newer buildings do catch my eye as well, but these are the exception as the construction standards and amenities are not always the same. Some have done fantastic renovations to meet the modern lifestyle as well, such as taking out the maid's quarters for a large kitchen/breakfast room/family room area within the old bones of the original layout, so it's not impossible to have a modern amenities in a pre-war.

A tip that has always worked for my family is to follow what my grandparents used to do with window air conditioners. They'd get the specs as to how many BTUs were recommended to cool the room and would buy up, sometimes doubling the recommendation to adequately cool the room well. With the modern window units that self-regulate, it's so much easier to set the temperature and you're good to go, and I have found that they do adequately maintain the temperature, compared to central air conditioning. I grew up with houses that had both, and honestly, not skimping on the window unit will keep you comfortable, though this does come at a higher energy cost, even with the energy star certified units. It's not the same as a multi-zoned central air conditioning system, but it can be effective, especially since the hot/cold spots that can occur with a central system are eliminated with a more powerful window unit.

Your budget seems to be realistic, and I do not think that you have to worry about a college dorm lifestyle, since many buildings vet prospective tenants fully and know that there are not 10 people living in a three bedroom apartment, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 11:37 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I'm a sucker for pre-war. They have THICK plaster walls and character, like crown moldings, some arched doorways, beamed ceilings and beautiful flow. I live in a pre-war now and have a woodburning fireplace and a HUGE (I really mean HUGE) kitchen with two windows (an eat-in kitchen is a MAJOR plus). What don't pre-wars have? Central A/C. I had my kitchen renovated so, while most of the apartment is older in appearance, the kitchen is very sleek and modern and extremely functional.

I have lived in a post war building - many have central A/C, which prewar buildings don't have. Frankly, that's about the only thing that is appealing, at least to me, about post-war buildings. Many people like them for the newer kitchens and baths, but, that doesn't make up for the lack of character for me. The ceilings are generally lower in post-war buildings. Some of the newer condominiums have floor to ceiling glass in some rooms, but, honestly, I don't find that particularly appealing: it fades furniture, artwork and if you want to walk around in your robe, everyone knows you walk around in your robe because it's practically impossible to get decent curtains, or any covering that doesn't look industrial, for that kind of window.

Just my opinion. Others, I know, differ. I prefer the atmosphere of the pre-wars.
i am a sucker for pre-war too...you cant beat the square footage that you get in an apartment in any other building

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-22-2008, 11:42 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i am a sucker for pre-war too...you cant beat the square footage that you get in an apartment in any other building
What's this - a moderator lovefest? Just kidding, SeventhFloor, prewars are great for space, no doubt, but postwars have their own positive attributes too. Like everything in life, there are tradeoffs with each.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 11-22-2008 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-23-2008, 05:03 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Not all pre-war apartments have only window A/C - I have mostly through-the-wall units.

I'm not on the top floor of my building and I'm in the back, overlooking our garden: I don't hear my upstairs neighbors. But I do hear the birds in the back! It's like a tomb here: no traffic noises at ALL.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 PM

24 posts, read 75,298 times
Try a The Cocaran Group, The New York Time, and there is a New York Families mag out there Plus a mid town and Villiage family.....Avoid Soho to young go for Upper west side,,,tribeca and all beware of mommy clics. I'm usually in Battery park on tuesday with my kids Family is in Manhattan.. for their tots programs..Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City