Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:41 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Also, I plan on moving in with my fiance come July, so the apartment will open up by then for anyone interested
Darned! Lost another!

and i don't mean apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 PM

142 posts, read 505,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
When I went looking for apartments, I found 2 listed with a broker for $750, both in Astoria. First one I saw was right by Steinway/30th ave. It was a basement apartment in a 3 family house. It was fairly small, basically like a big open space (studio) and a fairly large closet. Didn't really have a full kitchen, just a mini fridge and I don't think a stove or oven.

Second one I looked at was around 48 st/Ditmars blvd, which is where I live now. Apartment was about the same size, except 3 separate rooms. It has a full kitchen with everything there, a living room, and bedroom. Heat and hot water included. It's a semi-basement in a 3 family house. It was an amazing deal.

You just need to check them out...if they're listed through a broker, they're usually legit. I know this one is a legal apartment. Also, it's not like responding to an ad on craigslist and just showing up when you never spoke to the person showing you the apartment. Just use caution when looking. Check out Millenium real estate on Ditmars blvd in Astoria, that's how I found these 2 apartments. Keep checking back, because they may have some deals like this again.

Also, I plan on moving in with my fiance come July, so the apartment will open up by then for anyone interested

Wow, that is a fabulous deal! Will you start a thread on here when the time comes so that those of us who are apartment hunting could come see the apt.?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:17 PM

877 posts, read 2,769,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wevi View Post
But the rent laws do allow them to raise the rent more (and in the city, substantially more) when an apartment is vacated? Something like 20% vacancy increase plus more with renovations? Aren't NYC, Queens and Brooklyn covered by the same rent guidelines?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
That is news to me..
2 times I have been giving a paper to prove that the rent was only increase by X amount from prior tenants
The laws that you are referring to are only if the apartment is rent stablized. It is the same for all of the boroughs but some landlords will utilize the vacany increase and some will not. My cousin recently got an apartment and the landlord does not do vacancy increases, or at least the full vacancy increase. His position is that he wants long term tenants that can afford the apartment and not ones who will be struggling to pay the rent because he keeps going up.

As far as apartment prices are concerned, price has little to do with the neighborhood in the range that is being discussed (1000 - 1500) for a one bedroom. Some landlords in the worst neighborhoods that have the lowest median income will try and rent an apartment for that price, while others in decent neighborhoods will rent for that price. You really have to know the neighborhood in order to make the determination. I think Sunnyside is a pretty decent area, as well as Astoria so if you can find something in your price range I would check it out and see if the neighborhood is comfortable to you.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,951,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wevi View Post
Wow, that is a fabulous deal! Will you start a thread on here when the time comes so that those of us who are apartment hunting could come see the apt.?
Sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: