Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:49 PM

24 posts, read 80,884 times

Advertisements

Hello im a 20 year old female who has recently been asked to move to NYC the bronx by the 2nd and 5 train to be exact my friend from high-school has a room in her 2bdrm apt that I could totally afford although i have been born and raised in san diego, ca so obviously NYC would be a total culture shock! But my dream is to become an event planner and I know that's the city to do it in!And im very young dont have any major commitments out here in cali although the thought of moving to nyc is VERY EXCITING its also a bit scary!So if anyone has any advice on moving to NYC or about my question I would love it thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 01:18 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Be Very Careful before you make that move - NYC is getting hit hard by the recession, people are having it real tough finding decent jobs.....

So I would line a JOB up first, unless you have a trust fund or something to live off of first....Otherwise NYC can be a brutal expreince you'll never forget.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Be Very Careful before you make that move - NYC is getting hit hard by the recession, people are having it real tough finding decent jobs.....

So I would line a JOB up first, unless you have a trust fund or something to live off of first....Otherwise NYC can be a brutal expreince you'll never forget.

I've been looking at these forums for a while now, and I too have been wanting to move all the way from TX to New York. But when you say people are having a hard time finding decent jobs, what about just reg jobs like say at a grocery or Target?
I'm just curious.
I'm planning on moving to New York in January w/ little to nothing saved. I also i'm wondering if I should take my car or just leave it here.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
You won't be able to afford rent working a minimum wage job.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You won't be able to afford rent working a minimum wage job.
Agree with Rachael.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM

425 posts, read 958,814 times
I live in Brooklyn, and I have a good apt for decent rent ($800) in a good area (Gravesend) and I love NYC, born and raised in Queens, moved to Broolyn 4 years ago...and given the chance I would move out of state to a cheaper cost of living and less brutal job market.

Also the MTA is talking fare hikes and commuter taxes....so the cost of living is going higher.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:52 PM

24 posts, read 80,884 times
Thanks everyone for the advice so far the apt is located in the Morrisania part of the Bronx its on 166 street and boston rd next to the 2nd and 5 train?? How is the area?? and my friend who lives out their is making it sound like its no biggie to get a job out their?? I wanna do event planning so i wanted to work my way up in that industry??Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!:-)

Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Well your friend is lying to you - NYC is looking to layoff close to 300K workers by next summer with the biggest wave coming in the Feb/Mar time frame.....I work in financials and watch the economy/stocks/government everyday Feb/Mar is going to a BRUTAL time for this country as a whole, you think its bad NOW!

NYC make look like fun and Glamorus on TV but trust us who live here, unless you have skills that can command atleast 30$ a hr you can FORGET about living alone in apt...and Unless you can make 20-25$ an hr no one is going to consider you for a roommate.

The jobs that pay in these ranges are almost impossible to get now...as someone else mentioned even our transit fare are going higher it will cost 3$ soon just to get on a City bus or subway.

These are not the best times to be considering NYC - As much as I love this city, this is the honest truth.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:50 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Have you at least visited here before deciding to move out here? The lifestyle is FAR DIFFERENT and I'm guessing a lot HARDER than San Diego. Make sure you come here with a job, and that you've spent at least a few weeks with your friend before you pack your bags and move here. It can be a rough life here, especially if you're low on funds.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:57 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Yes, excellent point. It is very very hard to find work right now. I know of quite a few people that are stuck at their current jobs, or have taking something they are overqualified for or outside of their career goals just to make sure they pay their bills until it gets better. Make sure you have that job first before making the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City