Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post

I just don't agree that HilltopJay is the greedy capitalist because he wants to use real estate to improve his financial situaiton. He has a right to buy a property and do what he can to improve the value of said property. He has a right to be pissed that ghetto people spray paint the front of his house, or sale crack on his corner. I don't see him as the bad guy you are all painting him to be.

What I see is a whole lot of excuses. Being poor sucks, I have been there. But to say "these people can't help themselves, they need sympathy because their situation is hopeless" is just utter BS to me. It's HARD to break the cycle of poverty, it's not impossible. We just go about it the wrong way. And well meaning people help oppress the poor by enabling them.
Thank you! Glad you see where I'm coming from. My beef is you can't have anything nice without ghetto people ruining it. There's a new constructed building that is practically finished on the corner of Bedford Park and Grand Concourse. Surprise, surprise, ghetto people already TAGGED and wrote graffiti on the brink wall. See what I mean? It's a beautiful building that enhances the curb appeal of the area, then ghetto people come along and ruin it by tagging on it and defacing the property. What kind of ish is that?

Same problem is happening in the south Bronx with the newly constructed apartment buildings. Gorgeous buildings that improve the landscape of that depressed area and you have ghetto people moving in, throwing garbage out the windows, loud music, dog poop in the hallways and the smell of weed being smoked in the building. SEE WHAT I MEAN??? Once again...you can't have nothing nice without ghetto people ruining it. It's that simple.

So I'm the bad guy for NOT being sympathetic to ghetto people and wishing they would just be displaced elsewhere??? OH PLEASE!

The root of my so-called rants are the desire to have a GHETTO-FREE Bronx or something close to it that's manageable. Is that so bad? Honestly, is that really so bad to request that? And the only way I see the Bronx becoming GHETTO-FREE or at least close to it is via GENTRIFICATION. And that's why I support gentrification because I know it will IMPROVE the Bronx by flushing out the GHETTO people that make it bad and replacing them with better quality residents that are NOT ghetto.

Gentrification worked for Hell's kitchen, Chelsea, it's working in west Harlem with a work in progress, and so on. There is so much to gain from having a gentrified and GHETTO-FREE Bronx. The positives outweigh the negatives. And like I said before in previous threads, those who oppose gentrification do so because THEY KNOW they would be caught in the gentrification cross-hairs if gentrification starts in the neighborhood they live in. So instead of GHETTO people conforming to the change in environment, they resist and prefer to keep the area depressed, ghetto and crime infested. SMH!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
the problem is the permanent underclass,
but no one knows what to do about it but
uproot them every other generation through
nicely titled agendas. money talks tho.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. That's the issue with ghetto people. The programs are there to assist and improve their lives but few take them, few have the desire, few follow through and commit.

So ultimately it's up to the individual to WANT to change. Many take the easy way out and do nothing, hence the ghettoness continues.

Still doesn't change the fact that ghetto people are a nuisance to NYC and that NYC would be better off without them.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
I am very disappointed in the direction of this thread!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
The "permanent underclass" is not permanent. It is something you can rise out of. If you have incentive to do so. People have bad things happen to them, no doubt. Life can knock you on your ass. But 4 generations of poverty and ghetto behavior is a choice, not a circumstance.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
The thing about it is we've never put any real effort as a society to tackle these issues. But before I get into that most pf these ppl living in the hood or ghetto are not criminals they may be lower class and behave poorly sometimes due to their terrible upbringings but the majority of ppl you guys are talking about displacing are innocent hard working people that do all the dirty work along with the new immigrants that keeps society going.

But back to your post about tackling these issues, of course I don't have any real answers I'm not a sociologist or anthropologists. But I think we need complete education reforms especially in these ghetto communities, and we need an education that explains to them why their in these situations whether it's the effects of slavery and institutionalized racism or socio economic prejudice's based on just their class. Like really let them understand exactly why because these ppl don't have any real clue why exactly their poor and their family has been poor for generations they need to understand the problem to help find a real solution. We need a better education system where the sole goal is to just get a diploma and get out but a system thats main goal is to truly fight ignorance because ignorance is the greatest problem for struggling ppl all over the world.

We need to some how through extensive education on this subject beat into their heads one of the biggest driving forces behind this ghetto lifestyle continuing is these early pregnancies and these kids being raised by dysfunctional single teenaged mothers. We need to promote safe sex not only for personal reasons but for the betterment of society and their local communities.

We need some programs that encourage entrepreneurship in the ghetto so these little boys don't think their only options are sports, rap, and drug dealing and the little girls don't think the only way they can make it is by sleeping with a rich guy or shaking her ass in videos. These kids don't see and believe they can own their own business and use that entrepreneurial spirit they use for drug dealing into a legit business. We also need established business to open up more locations in the ghetto through incentives or something so a lot of these teens and young adults can get jobs so they won't have to resort to selling drugs or stealing.

Yea we have programs but their all stuff that try to help after the fact we don't have anything that prevents.

If we could put as much effort into just these few things I listed off the top of my head withing like 5 minutes as we do on the war on drugs I bet it would do wonders in the hood. Now I don't think it will solve all problems and this would take a few generations and there would still be a lot more added programs and things of that nature to really start helping these ppl but at least it's a start. As of right now we don't do anything to help these ppl out as a society or gov't and complain about them attacking out when most of would be the same way if we were in those conditions. It's not accident and it's not some random occurrence why these ppl are like this like Psychology teacher always said there's a reason for every single thing we do as humans.
I agree Josh. All of this changed during the 1960s with President Johnson from what I read, before the 60s people had to work for whatever welfare they had recieved and not stay home and collect. Presdients Johnsons great society ruined many urban areas of America including the Bronx. Government puts alot of effort into poor communities however majority of the poor people dont take advantage of government rehabilitating efforts. Also federal state and city government are pretty soft on poor people, and the only way to make them happy is to trickle money into their hands. What ever the government gives or builds for free it ends up getting ruined by poor ghetto people. Even thouogh the school system is poor for inner city youths, the student still has to learn something to get ahead. I know personally people who took advantage of government programs from food stamps, to pell and tap grants. Now they come to the hood to visit from suburbia and laugh at everyone in the hood. IF America had a Nazi and Soviet mentality poor people would not make a mess of things! Capitalism and democracy has failed at helping most of the poor and dinsinfranchized Americans aswell as Bronxites, it might be time for a different approach which is much more aggressive than previous attempts.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
This thread is woefully off-topic. I will split out posts to an appropriate thread, if possible, dealing with sociocultural implications of underprivileged communities, but that was not the original topic of the thread. Please try to stay on topic, and start another thread when the topic shifts, rather than hijacking a thread that is discussing a separate issue, no matter how related the original introduction of the secondary topic may have been. Thank you.

I am leaving the thread open with both topics under discussion and will close it and edit when I have time to devote to that task.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 AM

I agree, heres a link from the real deal about gentrification in the Bronx. Im also going to note that only the Southern portion of the South Bronx will experience some sort of gentrification while some parts of the Bronx wont experience gentrification because its too far from the city core like areas Soundview, Van Nest or University Heights or dangerous middle income Wakefield and Williamsbridge. Then there are areas of the Bronx that dont need gentrification like Riverdale which is already Yuppie, Pelham Parkway and Country Club which is hardcore Middle Class. I already said it before when that new Stadium was built its going to bring alot of changes in the South Bronx, but the good question is can all take part in the change or only a select few like those that own property or those that have college degrees?

South Bronx | Yankee Stadium | Gentrification

Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM

A video about a professor concern about Gentrification and he also stats most of it is happening around Yankee Stadium area and below. I can agree that alot of Mexicans who come from East Harlem are moving to Mott Haven, West Africans who come from Harlem right across to High Bridge and Dominicans who come from Washington Heights are moving to High Bridge and University Heights. These people are getting pushed out of their current areas and have to resettle in the Bronx.

Notorious PhD Raps About Bronx gentrification Video

Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
The "permanent underclass" is not permanent. It is something you can rise out of. If you have incentive to do so. People have bad things happen to them, no doubt. Life can knock you on your ass. But 4 generations of poverty and ghetto behavior is a choice, not a circumstance.
I have to disagree, the problem lies in he fact that our welfare system that is designed to help the poor isn't designed to help people out of poverty. Currently if you make below a certain amount you have assistance available to you, but if you go a dollar over that amount it is cut off. If it was designed in a stepping stone system, then the person would make gradually less and they begin to earn more. Couple this with education and technical training, and throw in some actual sex ed with making safe sex available, then you being to have a system that helps the poor and helps prevent generations from being stuck in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City