Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:29 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times

Advertisements

I've just now looked at the site for information. Tickets are 22 dollars, there are 3 different lines to waite in before getting to the top, etc..

Anyone have an idea how long it takes to get through these 3 lines during the holidays??? or 2 lines if the tickets are purchased online.. There's also a 40 dollar ticket that allows u to bypass all the lines.

Is the view spectacular? How did u like it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 05:25 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
last time i was there was in '74 when i was 12. but of course the view was spectacular and i had no fear of heights then

Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 AM

219 posts, read 608,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I've just now looked at the site for information. Tickets are 22 dollars, there are 3 different lines to waite in before getting to the top, etc..

Anyone have an idea how long it takes to get through these 3 lines during the holidays??? or 2 lines if the tickets are purchased online.. There's also a 40 dollar ticket that allows u to bypass all the lines.

Is the view spectacular? How did u like it..
I feel like when I took a friend from out of town there a few years back, we waited for over 45 minutes. We went relatively late on a weeknight in November or early December. I imagine it could be double that during the holiday period.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:57 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
I work across the street from the Empire State building and I see the lines daily. Right now they are pretty bad so if you can swing the $40 ticket I would feel safe telling you it is worth it. And the view is unbelievable. It's worth the money IMO.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,391 times
I think its worth doing once, but just once.

It took forever, it was expensive, and it made me feel sick, i swear it sways back and forth

Old 12-23-2008, 08:57 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I think its worth doing once, but just once.

It took forever, it was expensive, and it made me feel sick, i swear it sways back and forth
According to the official website (Empire State Building : Official Internet Site) the building GIVES (about 1.5 inches) but doesn't sway.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,391 times
lol.....it was probably all in my head then! but i swear I almost threw up!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,357 times
Default "Been there....."

I haven't been to the E.S.B. in at least ten years. This past summer we went to Top of the Rock. Got Combo tickets in conjuntion with MoMA! I enjoyed the new perspective, but missed the view of the Flatiron Building that E.S.B. offers. I filmed my visits when I used to go to the top of World Trade Center!

Personally I avoid going to the top of any building at this time of year! Big Holiday crowds equal a lot of wasted time! And the wind chill can get brutal. I know the city like the back of my hand, and find many other great views with no line! If you cannot get to N.Y.C. very often, then pay and wait and, of course, take many photos!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
On a whim I went 11/30/05. (I still have the ticket.) As rlrl said the last time I went before this was when I was around 12. It was $14 plus I purchased an additional $10 ticket for the 102nd observatory, which I had no memory of having visited before. I went during the week, it wasn't a holiday or peak time, and the wait wasn't bad. I did notice the HUGE snaked "bank line" ropes, and I thought that I sure wouldn't want to be here when these lines are full! But I mostly zoomed through as it wasn't too crowded. And they have lots of staff that herd people through like sheep, trying to speed things along. (Once you get to the observatory, you are welcome to spend as much time as you want.) Anyway, the view is fantastic, I rate it as a "Must-See," especially for anybody who might be in NYC only once in their life.

The 102nd observatory was a slight disappointment, but I'm still glad I checked it out. Once you are on the 86th floor, you have to take yet another elevator. The 102nd is a small, circular space, it is not in the open air, it is lined with plastic windows that were not in the greatest of shape. Some had a bit of scratchfitti. If you don't know here this observatory is, see here http://www.lnl.com/images/empire/esb6.jpg

Last edited by nyctc7; 12-23-2008 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 05:05 PM

67 posts, read 225,851 times
I went in April
Takes a while...I would compare it to waiting on line at an amusement park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City