Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:56 AM

88 posts, read 269,428 times

Advertisements

The majority of people I incountered don't know what a borough is. And if they know what a borough is they think Long Island is part of NYC and that Harlem is its own borough or its own city and that Brookyln is also seperate city I hear little about Queens and nothing about Staten Island which leads me to believe a lot of people outside the New York part of the NYC metro don't know they existand know next to nothing about the way NYC is set up. Most of these misconseptions about NYC are from people I lived with in suburban NJ inside the NYC metro area so imagine what people in Kansas think. Does this suprise you or do you think its not a big deal at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
doesn't surprise me. To me, a borough is related to a city, while a county is relative to a state. Staten Island may be a boro of NYC, but it's Richmond that is a county of NY. Same with Kings(Brooklyn) and New York (Manhattan)Counties

"Long Island" to me has no formal definition. It's just a term people use which could mean anything from the east river to the end of LI, depending on how the term is used. It comprises Brooklyn, Queens(NYC) and Nassau and Suffolk (non NYC)

I've spoke to people from NYC who thought Yonkers was part of NY City; I've also spoken to some people from out of town who actually knew that Yonkers, Mt vernon and new Rochelle were near NY but not in it and these people actually knew those cities were their own municipality. Go figure

Old 12-28-2008, 07:08 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
bet no one realized the bronx is the only borough actually connected to main land north america

Old 12-28-2008, 07:15 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
bet no one realized the bronx is the only borough actually connected to main land north america
I double the bet by stating that very few people realize, or care, that the northern most neighborhood of Manhattan is connected to mainland USA.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:30 AM

well for these people who think Harlem is it's own boro/city and that brooklyn is it's own city, the bronx being part of the mainland idea would be going WAYY over their heads!!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:19 AM

718 posts, read 2,325,522 times
Misconceptions are not surprising when people are just watching a place from a tv set and have no idea what the place is all about, let alone actually visiting the place.

I actually find that the majority of people PRETEND to know about all five boroughs. Ive run into fools from other states or countries who will tell me things like "Brooklyn is up and coming" even though they have no idea what they are talking about and have never even been to the borough. Or midwesterners who think Yonkers is part of the city and also think Westchester is upstate, even though Yonkers is in Westchester. I just laugh at these idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
The majority of people I incountered don't know what a borough is. And if they know what a borough is they think Long Island is part of NYC and that Harlem is its own borough or its own city and that Brookyln is also seperate city I hear little about Queens and nothing about Staten Island which leads me to believe a lot of people outside the New York part of the NYC metro don't know they existand know next to nothing about the way NYC is set up. Most of these misconseptions about NYC are from people I lived with in suburban NJ inside the NYC metro area so imagine what people in Kansas think. Does this suprise you or do you think its not a big deal at all?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:36 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I try to explain the NYC boroughs and metro area to people out of state, and they look at me like they're totally confused. It's confusing to explain. I don't think they would totally understand unless they lived here for a little while.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:16 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
It doesn't surprise me and it doesn't seem like a big deal. My entire childhood (not in NY) I had a relative who lived in Whitestone NY. All of the thank you cards we sent her for gifts she had given us were mailed to an address that ended with "Whitestone, NY."

We even went to visit her once and she lived in a house with a driveway. Imagine my surprise when I eventually moved here and finally realized she actually lived in NYC all those years! (And I didn't even realize this until I moved out of Brooklyn and into Queens.)

Old 12-28-2008, 09:20 AM

my grandmother lived in Riverdale since the late 60's. I was surprised at age 14 when my dad told me that it was actually the Bronx she lived in. Today I live there and i am glad i do

Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,591 times
The boroughs of New York can be confusing to some people. I know when I go out of town, you have a city or town within a county. I have not seen many places where the county only encompasses one thing, i.e., Kings County is only Brooklyn. Queens can be entirely confusing since it is thought of as neighborhoods (postal) instead of town/city/borough. As Henna mentioned when you address mail to Whitestone, NY you think that Whitestone is a town or city, not a neighborhood in Queens. In fact, Queens shares more of a naming convention with Long Island then it shares with any other borough of New York City.

As a New Yorker, everything seems very normal to me but when you look at other places, it does appear to be unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City