Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times

Advertisements

Palmtreet so I take it when you go to work you wear whatever you want right? Because we are a nation of individuals after all right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 PM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
i always hated uniforms as a child. but from a parent's standpoint i would welcome it because it is cheaper and less stress shopping come september. i guess it wouldnt be bad if they let the kids have a dress-down friday.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-13-2009, 05:18 PM
REM

368 posts, read 994,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
This is something the City was planning on doing a couple of years back that I wish they would still proceed. I for one, think its a GREAT idea that has NO NEGATIVE effects on no one.

Putting every student in uniforms makes EVERYONE EQUAL and puts every student on an EQUAL PLAYING field.

Nowadays, you have kids (especially high schoolers) that dress very inappropiate in order to look cool or fit in. You got kids now trying to look like rock stars with sun glasses, wallet chains, skinny jeans sagging to the point you see their butt , etc. They put so much effort into looking "cute" and less effort on the task at hand...getting an education without worrying about "how do I look?" All that is a a distraction.

What does everyone think?
Is it really that much of a distraction? I mean i like to dess nice does not mean it gets in the way of my education. It does not equal anything because kids that come to school with dirty clothes that stink are still going to to so; kids are still going to be able to tell the difference between the ones who take care of them selves and the ones who don't.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:28 PM

107 posts, read 429,962 times
I'm a strong advocate of uniforms. They help to cut down on inappropriate dress and place less emphasis on brand name clothing. Of course they can still compare shoes, socks, bookbags, etc; but that doesn't mean uniforms won't help.
Most adults have to adhere to a dress code at work so why shouldn't children have to wear uniforms at school? They will be able to express their individuality in plenty of other ways.

I see a lot more public schools instituting uniform policies, but there are still many students who don't comply. I remember a news story where a junior high student did not adhere to her school's uniform policy and was forced to wear a trash bag all day at school.

Sobro, you took me back to my school days. The kids on the block always made fun of our uniforms.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
I LOVED having uniforms. No competition and no need to think about what to wear each morning.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
My public elementary in the Bronx has a uniform policy, but less and less kids wear it throughout the year. In September, all of them wear it, but by June, I have maybe 1 or 2. I guess that could be because the kids outgrow it and the parents don't want to buy another uniform. Our school should be more strict with it though.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:17 PM

107 posts, read 429,962 times
It's up to the school to enforce the uniform policy. Most of the uniforms are pretty cheap and they sell them everywhere, especially the generic tans and blues.
In Catholic school you could not get away with such an excuse and the uniforms are more expensive.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
This is something the City was planning on doing a couple of years back that I wish they would still proceed. I for one, think its a GREAT idea that has NO NEGATIVE effects on no one.

Putting every student in uniforms makes EVERYONE EQUAL and puts every student on an EQUAL PLAYING field.

Nowadays, you have kids (especially high schoolers) that dress very inappropiate in order to look cool or fit in. You got kids now trying to look like rock stars with sun glasses, wallet chains, skinny jeans sagging to the point you see their butt crack, etc. They put so much effort into looking "cute" and less effort on the task at hand...getting an education without worrying about "how do I look?" All that is a a distraction.

What does everyone think?

It works really well at the school I teach at, so I am for uniforms.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My public elementary in the Bronx has a uniform policy, but less and less kids wear it throughout the year. In September, all of them wear it, but by June, I have maybe 1 or 2. I guess that could be because the kids outgrow it and the parents don't want to buy another uniform. Our school should be more strict with it though.
If the school doesn't follow through, of course they aren't going to be wearing the uniforms by June.

Kids get in trouble for not wearing the uniforms at the public school where I work. They have to wear white collared or polo shirts and khakis.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:30 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,710 times
I'm totally against the uniform policy. Its' still a policy of those who have and those who don't. My daughter went to school in district 2 for 10 years and never once wore a uniform, whereas most of my family and friends children in Brooklyn wore one. The fact that a policy is not across the board, upsets me to no end. When we teach children in public schools that they must wear one, but the students next door doesn't. It sends an incorrect message. Also because its a public education, no school could force a student to wear a uniform--school is not jail. Assimilating children does not stop teasing, the students will still be able to judge those who has more money. They start to look at coats, book bags, shoes, sneakers, hairstyle, jewelry, parents' car and such.

I have seen my neighbor daughter sent home because she didn't wear one; the school was denying her her educational rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City