Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

that to be a pilot especially or even a flight attendant you have to look at life/death differently than a lay person/passenger would. To even have the presence of mind the way the pilot did to make 2 rounds to make sure everyone was out--especially when I'm sure in the back of his mind he feared something could happen to him--it takes a special kind of person from the very beginning, even before they get into training, to be able to withstand something like this. I'm sure their training simulates the real thing and that they go thru it so much over and over, so that when the real thing hits, they're prepared for it

How did the plane actually land? The news showed a figure of the plane dropping belly straight down into the water but wouldn't it actually land the way it would have at the airport--gradually(a combo of straight down and yet moving ahead at the same time)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 AM

Default Do you think

pilots go thru psychological character/fitnesstesting the way police do before they even start training? if a fear of heights or death is detected, would they be D/Q'd?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 AM

421 posts, read 2,533,675 times
This crash reminds me a of crash while I was in the Air Force back in Sept. 1995. I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage Alaska, hadn't been on base for more than 6 months. One September morning an AWACS plane took off and crashed less than 1 or 2 minutes later, killing all 24 crew members on board, so sad. The cause, canadian geese got sucked into both engines and the pilot lost control of both engines and had to ditch the plane. Birds pose a huge flight risk to pilots and hopefully all airports have policies in place to curtail birds in the flying area. This brings back memories because I was on the dental team that had to go out and retrieve the bodies of those 24 brave men and helped identify them. This pilot that guided his plane into the Hudson is a smart and talented man, he's a true American Hero for serving his country and saving lives.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Reading through the reports this morning what struck me the most is how quickly it all happened. Literally within minutes. The pilot is really a special sort. Not everyone can stay so calm and together when the pressure is on like that.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default hard to make a ATP

It is quite difficult to become a commercial pilot and attain an ATP license. Thousands of hours of flying in all sorts of dangerous meteorological conditions tends to cull the weak candidates. This is not a safe office job that anyone can fake their way through. There are huge brick walls like working for poverty wages flying small planes that prevent just anybody from ascending the ranks into the commercial airliner cockpit. If a pilot does not really want to make his ATP with all his heart he will not make it into the cockpit of a commercial airliner. The obstacles are huge. It is not like they pull people out of the subways with a offer to drive airplanes, if you can make it on your own from private pilot to multi-engine to commercial pilot to ATP you have mad skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
pilots go thru psychological character/fitnesstesting the way police do before they even start training? if a fear of heights or death is detected, would they be D/Q'd?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,213 times
I love stories like these because it reminds us of who the REAL heroes are and that there are still very special people in this world. I hope they do something for this pilot like a parade or something (might be going alittle too far but you all get my point)

Finally, a break from the usual "2 people got shot, the economy is going bust" nightly news.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 AM

155 posts, read 585,618 times
What I don't understand is that if birds brought down the plane, why wasn't "fowl-play" suspected?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:52 AM

Default what i don't understand is

how a flock of birds can damage a plane engine. i thought it would vice versa

when there was a plane crash (was it 1947?) in brooklyn or staten island and the plane broke apart, a passenger got pulled into a plane engine and of course got killed by the engine

so if a plane engine can kill a human i would imagine it could easily destroy a flock of birds

Old 01-16-2009, 09:11 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default props and jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
how a flock of birds can damage a plane engine. i thought it would vice versa

when there was a plane crash (was it 1947?) in brooklyn or staten island and the plane broke apart, a passenger got pulled into a plane engine and of course got killed by the engine

so if a plane engine can kill a human i would imagine it could easily destroy a flock of birds
I read about the incident you speak of but not sure why this is hard for you to understand. Not sure if anyone got sucked into the engine but it sounds like a interesting little tidbit. Perhaps the person that got sucked into the engine was in the connie which was a piston engine propeller driven plane? The propeller would pulverize the person/bird without sucking it into the various mechanisms of the engine like a turbine jet engine.

After the collision the plane dc-8 crashed in Brooklyn, it is not like the plane continued on and peanuts were served while the rest of the passengers watched a movie. An turbine as thousands of moving parts and when the remains of a large individual is ingested into the intake of the engine it is no longer able to operate properly.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM

sounds good. yes, it was 1960, not '47
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City