Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,156,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
I have never experienced it. Maybe you were rude to them at first.

No, I wasn't, but thank you for your reserved, non-aggressive allegation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:09 AM

101 posts, read 163,106 times
Not an allegation, just stating some statistics.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:27 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,156,935 times
Quote:
I'm quite sure there aren't any statistics on the number of times I was potentially rude to Chinese people in the subway prior to them shoving me aside to run to the empty seat in front of me. But what the heck - you could certainly try googling it.

Let me google that for you

Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Since stereotypes seem to be A-ok in this thread, I would like to point out that the Chinese people in the subways are always the first to physically push or jostle me out of the way in their rush to get a seat that I am headed for. This seems aggressive to me. Of course, there is no crime being committed, but it doesn't suggest a reserved, non-aggressive personality type (though I have to admit it says nothing about peaceful or non-peaceful).

Since this has happened to me hundreds of times in the subway with Chinese people and very few times with others, I am going to go out on a limb and say that I feel confident making this observation/generalization.
Sorry about your subway experiences, Henna. The subway is actually a great equalizer for it allows everyone in packed cars the opportunity to show either their courteous characteristics, or sadly, sometimes their violent or discourteous temperaments.

I've observed commendable as well as uncalled for aggressive behavior by all races, ethnicities, religions, ages in the subway, Why even yesterday, an old lady of about 90 walking with a cane pushed me aside to grab a seat before I could even offer it to her, as I had intended to.

Regarding the topic of the thread, one must be wary of sweeping statements that declare that there's lack of criminality in a specific ethnicity based on reported stats for an enclave. Others aboard have debunked that myth by examining non-reported incidents based on a culture of fear, intimidation, and other immigrant issues.

It is even more incredible to attribute peaceful, submissive, docile characteristics to any group of people, given historical and contemporary data which show that we're all collectively pretty much the same in emotions of love, passion, hatred, aggression, acqiuescence, criminality, etc.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 02-08-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,430,151 times
Quote:
Since we're discussing anecdotal statistics, I have never been held hostage in a restaurant in an "aggressive" Western neighborhood. Now, surely I would have been if crime is that out of control, or would I also not have witnessed a few murders and some looting through the windows as I dined?

Let's compare real statistics, not just anecdotal perceptions. Where are the numbers? And, not just 200 or 300 years of history as that's too vague.

EDIT: One other fact to note is that many large cities that have large expatriot and immigrant populations that tend to keep to themselves tend to settle things on their own terms. Crimes are not reported to the police in the same manner as they are in other areas, hence why many cities have outreach officers to such communities. There was a period, not that long ago, when Chinatown was pretty dangerous to those from outside the area. Things have changed in large degree, but you're kidding yourself if you proclaim it to be crime-free.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-08-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Are you telling me that there's roughly an equal chance of you being shot or mugged at night in Chinatown than at night in the other famous ethnic neighborhood? Are you really telling me that?

One easy to way to compare, I am willing to go to Chinatown everynight at 11pm by myself shouting and yelling. Are you willing to do the same in the other famous neighborhood at 11pm by yourself everyday?

This is the most realistic way to test, is it not? Do you want to enter this experiment and back up your own words?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:35 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,430,151 times
Quote:
Are you telling me that there's roughly an equal chance of you being shot or mugged at night in Chinatown than at night in the other famous ethnic neighborhood? Are you really telling me that?

One easy to way to compare, I am willing to go to Chinatown everynight at 11pm by myself shouting and yelling. Are you willing to do the same in the other famous neighborhood at 11pm by yourself everyday?

This is the most realistic way to test, is it not? Do you want to enter this experiment and back up your own words?
What is this other "famous ethnic neighborhood?" You have a chance of anything happening in the city. I have NEVER been shot, robbed, etc. and I am a native.

Why are you suggesting bearking the law (disturbing the peace) is a means to check the relative safety of an area? The logic is lost on me.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:54 PM

Just tell me if you are willing to enter this experiment or not, to back up your claim.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:03 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,557,057 times
Quote:
Just tell me if you are willing to enter this experiment or not, to back up your claim.
Do the willing participants get a prize if they win? It's no fun if prizes aren't given out. Maybe free Chinese delivery once a week for one month from the place that embarrassed you in front of the noble white people? Or maybe a free suit, designer chosen by the winner of course. Remember to tell them to keep the lower button unbuttoned, just in case. Agree to these terms and the City-Data.com's NYC Forum Great Social Experiment of '09(TM) is on.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:12 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,847,492 times
How's about everyone steps back, takes a deep breath, and lets this go?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City