Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,580,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
the last time i checked (back in 1800's) San Francisco and California was predominantly white. they takin over slowly.

the only thing missing from the Asians, are numbers! the more they come, the more they will take over! they are already the richest people in the US! ahh!

Asian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1. Can you provide a link that Asians are the richest people in the US? And is your definition of "richest" based on median income and/or net worth?

2. If your theory of a certain group "taking over " is accurate, then we'll have to find some new term to describe this new phenomenon from the Orient. Some historians refer to the Europeanization of America and displacement of Native tribes as "Manifest Destiny." Shoud your prognosis be accurate, I'm sure we can come up with some new term to rationaize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 02:45 PM

101 posts, read 163,101 times
Chinese people are just generally have a peaceful temperament, reserved and not as aggressive as whites or blacks. This is reflected both in ethnic crime rates, as well as in nations. Just look at the wars and aggressions by the West in the past 100 years.

Why is this so hard to get?

Old 02-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Chinese people are just generally have a peaceful temperament, reserved and not as aggressive as whites or blacks. This is reflected both in ethnic crime rates, as well as in nations. Just look at the wars and aggressions by the West in the past 100 years.

I will not be drawn into an argument with racial overtones but I would like to diasgree with your premise.

Firstly, Chinese are no different - no worse no better - than other races or ethnicities in terms of so-called "aggressive" behaviors. Like all racial groupings, there are exemplary as well as shameful events in their history. This then makes Chinese just as good/bad as others and hence puts them on an equal footing with the rest of mankind.

We all know of the wonderful deeds of Chinese, as with other races. We also know about the savagery of ancient communal strifes in China, of the excesses of the Communist dictatorship under Mao...and in recent memory, we all know about Tianamen Square.

And in reference to the title of this thread, many Americans know about the organized criminal activity in NY's Chinatown perpetrated by tongs and the shakedowns, graft, intimidation associated with those notorious elements of society.

Hence, we can safely rebut your arguments, and say, with all due respect to everyone, that Chinese are just about as good as whites, blacks, Indians, Hispanics. No racial stereotyping - good or bad - will hold up under careful historical or contemporary analysis.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,428,065 times
Quote:

Are you not the same person who was held "hostage" by a gang in a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown until you paid a bigger tip? Now, how is that peaceful and reserved? People who are generally described as such do not go around blocking exits and insulting customers.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Are you not the same person who was held "hostage" by a gang in a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown until you paid a bigger tip? Now, how is that peaceful and reserved?

LOL. Interesting observation.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 PM

No need to blame me. I am just telling you the statistics. Look up robbery/shooting/rape in the neighborhoods in manhattan, and you'll find chinatown is not in the top list.

And I don't need to tell you what neighborhoods are in the top list.

Let's be frank, no need to be politically correct.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
Quote:

Since stereotypes seem to be A-ok in this thread, I would like to point out that the Chinese people in the subways are always the first to physically push or jostle me out of the way in their rush to get a seat that I am headed for. This seems aggressive to me. Of course, there is no crime being committed, but it doesn't suggest a reserved, non-aggressive personality type (though I have to admit it says nothing about peaceful or non-peaceful).

Since this has happened to me hundreds of times in the subway with Chinese people and very few times with others, I am going to go out on a limb and say that I feel confident making this observation/generalization.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Since stereotypes seem to be A-ok in this thread, I would like to point out that the Chinese people in the subways are always the first to physically push or jostle me out of the way in their rush to get a seat that I am headed for. This seems aggressive to me. Of course, there is no crime being committed, but it doesn't suggest a reserved, non-aggressive personality type (though I have to admit it says nothing about peaceful or non-peaceful).

Since this has happened to me hundreds of times in the subway with Chinese people and very few times with others, I am going to go out on a limb and say that I feel confident making this observation/generalization.
I have never experienced it. Maybe you were rude to them at first.

Also, how is this compared to the daily shootings and muggings by another ethnic group in New York? You think they are on the same level of comparision? How often do you hear a Chinese populated area full of murders and muggings and shootings and rapes?

Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I have never experienced it. Maybe you were rude to them at first.

Also, how is this compared to the daily shootings and muggings by another ethnic group in New York? You think they are on the same level of comparision? How often do you hear a Chinese populated area full of murders and muggings and shootings and rapes?
I believe she was responding to your use of descriptions such as "not as aggressive."

Old 02-07-2009, 11:57 PM

Which of course is true. On a personal and national level.

Compare the number of foreign invasions/colonizations/slavery/genocide of others between the West and Asia in the last 200 years.

No need to deny this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City