Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 04:37 PM

18 posts, read 227,793 times

Advertisements

I do enjoy both cities but I always choose New York. It has so much more to offer. L.A. is nice for a weekend. To Me L.A. seems to much like a very party oriented vacation spot then a full on city,I mean how can people live their focused with the whole party atmnesphere. plus the people in L.A. are much more plastic and superficial as a whole. In New York you will once in a while find those people but overall new york is a real city built with real people not a fake hollywood playland. This is just my opinion. What do you think?

Old 03-09-2007, 05:16 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
Well I grew up in Orange County and moved to ny 10 years ago after marriage.

If I had my choice, given that the cost of living, materialism, cultures are diverse and the same. I would have to pick my home base of orange county.

I say that because If I do have to pay out of the nose, I midas well get the nice weather as a token bonus.

The attitudes towards Rude New York-ahs, and the Plastic Materialism of the blonde bombshells are unfortunate.

People have many different attitudes all over the country, and their area also has a different vibe.

I dont think one is necessarily better than the other, because when you choose to live in a more well known metro (LA, NY, chicago etc etc)..you do run the risk of higher costs of living, diverse attitudes and cultures.

I have made some great friends here, and I still have my friends back home....but to generalize a whole state...sorry cannot do that.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:33 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,877 times
Yeah, well, fabulous, mom2gurls. But we're not talking about "generalizing a whole state". We're not talking Upstate New York, nor Orange County. I think you got it wrong.

This is a tale of two cities: New York vs Los Angeles.

I will always choose New York. As the first post says, New York is a
"real city built with real people".

The shallowness of LA is not a stereotype but a reality. It's all a big stage there: where you won't see people in the streets because they're all in their cars, Miracle Mile is a strip of cheap stores and parking lots and you know you're in Hollywood when you hit this corner that says "you're in Hollywood" and there's not much around other than chain stores and sleazy types.

LA is good for a weekend- once every so many years. It is no wonder that only Angelenos love their bizarre sprawl of a town.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:33 AM

Thanks for your input...feel free to keep your blinders on and continue to generalize cities then. Its great to see how passionate you are about NYC....I am sure people are passionate about there own as well. There are always good and bad parts of town anyway. Why would you want a NY versus LA post anyway if not to start controversy, I am sure that people would mind discussing the difference of to major metro cities without insulting another city? Anyways...good luck to you.

Good luck! :-)

Old 03-10-2007, 11:59 PM

491 posts, read 829,101 times
Just my .O2
I lived in LA for 2 months and hated it, everyplace you need to go requires a minimum of a 1/2 drive hour sitting in traffic. Its horrible FAR worse then the BQE, LIE. Most annoying was most the people I met were pretending to be "big time somethings" It was driving me nuts.
Nightlife, EVERYTHING closes at 2AM, the cops sweep the street arm to arm with sticks like Nazi storm troopers. Helicopters buzz all day and night, Mexican gansta's running through yards. Its the most nerve racking place on earth IMHO and Im a guy from Bushwick Brooklyn

I had lived on Outpost and Carmen Crest and was walking 1/4 mile to the Hollywood Bowl overlook one evening around 9PM. Dogs are barking at every house I pass. The cops pull up and ask me for ID, ask what I'm doing walking, how much $$ I have on me (vagrency law) Called me a wise guy from New York and order me to return home or be arrested "no walking".
Whats this House Arrest ?
Those jackbooters followed me too, that was the last straw. I wont even get into all the Mexicans, the bodegas were even taking Peso's and this was back 1989 !

I liked Newport Beach and La Costa Beach

Last edited by Joe L; 03-11-2007 at 12:34 AM..

Old 03-11-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Just my .O2
I lived in LA for 2 months and hated it, everyplace you need to go requires a minimum of a 1/2 drive hour sitting in traffic. Its horrible FAR worse then the BQE, LIE. Most annoying was most the people I met were pretending to be "big time somethings" It was driving me nuts.
Nightlife, EVERYTHING closes at 2AM, the cops sweep the street arm to arm with sticks like Nazi storm troopers. Helicopters buzz all day and night, Mexican gansta's running through yards. Its the most nerve racking place on earth IMHO and Im a guy from Bushwick Brooklyn

I had lived on Outpost and Carmen Crest and was walking 1/4 mile to the Hollywood Bowl overlook one evening around 9PM. Dogs are barking at every house I pass. The cops pull up and ask me for ID, ask what I'm doing walking, how much $$ I have on me (vagrency law) Called me a wise guy from New York and order me to return home or be arrested "no walking".
Whats this House Arrest ?
Those jackbooters followed me too, that was the last straw. I wont even get into all the Mexicans, the bodegas were even taking Peso's and this was back 1989 !

I liked Newport Beach and La Costa Beach
LOL on the experiences...YES...I forgot that the bars close at 2 am. Last call is usually at 145. That was something that I loved about NYC...it truly is the city that never sleeps, and then I would always go for a 4 am breakfast at a diner and have either the best bagels or pancakes I could find.

LA does tend to be shallow, but I think sometimes its just the portrayal of the media too.

And I love the comment on the talking Pesos!!!! I grew up in OC, so there---but I will say, do you guys think that people who made some decent money in the real estate market (bought there homes before 1998)..and suddenly became "rich" enough to upgrade caused the shift in attitudes?

I mean, when I see the orange county shows, I laugh because I know the streets they are on, where they are hanging out and I have to say, the media does a GREAT job of finding things that sell, because its REALLY not like that.

Likewise, I have many italian friends who hate the TV show sopranos, because they are often thought of as gangsta, but hey the TV show sells.

But perhaps its because alot of people profited and are now living beyond their means due to the real estate market. I am not too sure.

But when we moved to dutchess, there were no mcmansions or subdivisions, and thats the life in orange county..just like brownstones are in the city. And now the trend up here IS the mcmansions and such. Perhaps its the newfound wealth....But I guess it just depends on what you are looking for.

And yes, there is NO public transportation in so Cal. I dont ever recall IN MY LIFE riding a bus (other than a school bus)...and I have only been on a subway once. Not because I wont, I am just addicted to driving in my car. But my brother who also grew up there, lives on the upper east side and loves the Efficiency of the city. So there are goods and bads!

Old 03-11-2007, 05:26 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
Default LA is vast- very hard to generalize

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Thanks for your input...feel free to keep your blinders on and continue to generalize cities then. Its great to see how passionate you are about NYC....I am sure people are passionate about there own as well. There are always good and bad parts of town anyway. Why would you want a NY versus LA post anyway if not to start controversy, I am sure that people would mind discussing the difference of to major metro cities without insulting another city? Anyways...good luck to you.
Good luck! :-)
I am living just north of L.A. and the people in my area are far from plastic. This area is extremely racially and ethnically diverse and the generalizations just don't apply to most of the people I come into contact with. Yes West L.A. and Orange County in places is more in line with the stereotype. But 12 million plus people live in this region.

Most New Yorkers will not like the fact that it is so spread out. I like to walk everywhere and obviously I can't do that here. Traffic is horrible and transit is almost non-existent in many areas. There are tons of buses in some areas fortunately. Fabulous ethnic food. Cultural events and festivals every day of the week. It is not for everyone and a native NYRKer would have to make a huge adjustment.

I find culture more in people than in places or institutions so I am liking it here. I moved here after living in NY for many years and I have learned things like the importance of living close to your work place. Traffic sucks but other than that I really don't have major problems with things here. I miss transit and walking. If I can find a little more of that here than I will probably stay longer. I love the mountains here and the trails are fantastic. No urban area on the east coast even comes close on that.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:47 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times
You can't really compare NYC to LA. The difference between the two cities is vast. We all know that general difference. LA is sprawl, NYC is built-up. LA is 9-5, NYC is 24-7. But let's look at the other side. Issue 1: For some reason, people in LA like to compare the whole LA metro, to NYC. We in NYC however, only compare the 5 boroughs of the city to LA. We don't even use Long Island, North NJ, or the Hudson Valley. Most of the time, we just use Manhattan. Manhattan is only a island of 1.5 million people in over 24 sq miles. Yet Manhattan can hold it's own weight with a city of over 4 million. Issue 2: I don't see NYC as an "American" city, but rather a international city. LA is a wonderful city, a truly great city, but it is a great American city, it still doesn't have the history, the people, the culture, attitute to make it international. New York rivals London in finance. New York rivals Paris in culture. New York rivals Milan in fashion. New York rivals Hong Kong when it comes to a skyline. LA just doesn't make the cut when it comes to the global market. I like LA, it had many things NYC doesn't have, mountains, weather, the beaches, though the people of LA shouldn't try to compete with NYC.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:20 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
You can't really compare NYC to LA. The difference between the two cities is vast. We all know that general difference. LA is sprawl, NYC is built-up. LA is 9-5, NYC is 24-7. But let's look at the other side. Issue 1: For some reason, people in LA like to compare the whole LA metro, to NYC. We in NYC however, only compare the 5 boroughs of the city to LA. We don't even use Long Island, North NJ, or the Hudson Valley. Most of the time, we just use Manhattan. Manhattan is only a island of 1.5 million people in over 24 sq miles. Yet Manhattan can hold it's own weight with a city of over 4 million. Issue 2: I don't see NYC as an "American" city, but rather a international city. LA is a wonderful city, a truly great city, but it is a great American city, it still doesn't have the history, the people, the culture, attitute to make it international. New York rivals London in finance. New York rivals Paris in culture. New York rivals Milan in fashion. New York rivals Hong Kong when it comes to a skyline. LA just doesn't make the cut when it comes to the global market. I like LA, it had many things NYC doesn't have, mountains, weather, the beaches, though the people of LA shouldn't try to compete with NYC.
All good points. It really is somewhat apples and oranges but for some reason posters on city-data like these kind of discussions. The only point I might argue with above is the LA not having the people to make it international thing. I do not find this to be true. There may have been a time when ethnic meant mostly Mexican or European in LA but that time has long past. I encounter people from every part of the world here rich and poor and of every race. They don't always have their own neighborhood but the true culture that does exist in LA is largely due to their influence.

The blonde shallow stereotype exists only as a tiny minority and in many areas as scarce as bigfoot. One plus is that LA is less racially/ethnically polarized than the cities of the Northeast and Midwest especially New York. As an outsider it is fairly easy place to come and make friends. If I end up moving I will not miss the driving but I will miss all the excellent friends I have made.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 AM

24 posts, read 98,566 times
Talking Nyc Vs L.a.

Now I have been living in L.a. for years and have also live in NYC but, a lot of these things you guys are saying is true but a lot of this is stereotypes.......... I feel you don't know anything about L.a. unless you stayed there longer than 2 years........ Hollywood is not the only place in L.A. and nowhere near cheap unless you're just making a lot of money.................and actually these are somethings you really can compare because L.A. has fashion, cultural,etc.........very diverse not just mexican americans but blacks, chinese, japense, europeans, korean, asians basically highly white and etc........... reason proved is because there are a lot of college students that are in L.a. and highly more educated than new york with some of the top colleges of the world..... and if you didn't like L.A. for the months that you stayed there don't come back because l.a. isn't just hollywood, we have beverly hills, venice beach, santa monica piere, ladera heights, downtown is currently in construction to a $2 billion dollar megaproject for new venues, suburb condos, hotels, l.a. sports live and has some of the best architechs in the world..........L.A. is far more entertaining ("The Entertainment Capital Of The World") than new york, london, chicago, milan, etc put together................so i will just wait for a response a i will give you the positive of both.

THEY'RE BOTH GREAT CITIES AND YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE TO GO IN L.A. TO HAVE A GREAT TIME AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY DON'T EVEN TRY TO FIND SOMETHING TO DO.

OH YEAH CHECK OUT OUR THEMES PARKS WHICH IS AMAZING AND VERY FUN
WE HAVE THE MOST AMUSEMENT PARKS IN THE WORLD :
SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN
DISNEYLAND
KNOTTS BERRY FARM
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD
SEAWORLD
CASTLE PARK
DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE'S

A LOT MORE INCLUDING A LOT OF WATER PARKS FOR THE SUMMER:

AND SOME OF THE BEST WATER PARKS IN AMERICA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City