Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 PM

19 posts, read 122,551 times

Advertisements

You'll be lucky if you can rent a tent. On special nights, you can treat your wife to Dunkin' Donuts. NYC has a lot to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
No one told me anything, I'm speaking from experience. Your definition of Upper Middle Class may be different from mine.

You will live comfortably on $200k in Manhattan in a nice apartment.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
If we are talking about Manhattan, you can't buy a 2-bed 2-bath condo on $200K income. If this is not middle class, what is it? Besides, I got the impression that this income is for two people. The guy was not asking if he can survive, he wanted to know what kind of lifestyle he can afford. Yes, he can rent a decent 2-bedroom apartment, he can spend $200 on dinner from time to time but he will not be shopping at Saks or driving a Porsche.

Last edited by KB4; 03-02-2009 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-03-2009, 12:32 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Whether you are actually part of the upper middle class is not based on whether or not you can afford to live what you think is an "upper middle class lifestyle" in NYC. "Upper middle class lifestyle" is 100% subject to people's lack of knowledge of how they are living compared to the rest of the city and the rest of the nation and serves to confuse the issue of who is part of the upper middle class.

On the subject of economic class, it means nothing to me that someone with an upper middle class household income cannot afford a 2/2 apartment in Manhattan. Economic class focuses on your income/assets compared to everyone else, NOT on what your money can buy in a given place. Don't confuse the issues.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Interesting thread...of course it depends on the lifestyle you trying to achieve and the state of your financial affairs when starting in NY.

If single, no debt, healthy, has saved up a good chunk of cash (or has access to it), living a modest lifestyle, then $200K will be nice.

If...entering NYC with tons of debt; have kids; are not a trust fund kid or have access to Daddy's millions or summer cottage; want to send your kids to a decent school; have to work twice as hard to get the $200K gig, then guess what America? NYC on $200K is not going to be a walk in the park. The city is the tax capital of the world--at least it felt that way.

I miss NYC and would love a pad there, but only if I am so rich I can afford 6...

Old 03-03-2009, 02:41 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance07 View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anybody in the forum who made around $200K a year if they could give me a general idea of what kind of lifestyle one could expect on that income?

I'm married with a wife and am around 25 years old with zero debt if that makes a difference.
At $200k per year, you are roughly netting $11,000 per month. (depending upon deductions, healthcare, 401k, etc.)

An awesome 2 bedroom apartment in a wonderful neighborhood in Manhattan would run around $5-$6k per month. Add in regular utilities, couple credit cards, car loan/insurance, that's another $2k, most likely. Then there's $4k to "play" with.

Even though money gets sucked up FAST in NYC, $1000 play money per week is a damn good living.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Whether you are actually part of the upper middle class is not based on whether or not you can afford to live what you think is an "upper middle class lifestyle" in NYC. "Upper middle class lifestyle" is 100% subject to people's lack of knowledge of how they are living compared to the rest of the city and the rest of the nation and serves to confuse the issue of who is part of the upper middle class.

On the subject of economic class, it means nothing to me that someone with an upper middle class household income cannot afford a 2/2 apartment in Manhattan. Economic class focuses on your income/assets compared to everyone else, NOT on what your money can buy in a given place. Don't confuse the issues.
exactly...because for example, if u take 30K anywhere you're not going to be living like a king. for me it all comes down to tax brackets.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Interesting thread. As someone from the other coast I will chime in here. $200,000 is not much these days. Is it middle class? Depends what you consider the middle I guess. Kind of need to put things in to perspective though. Someone wanted to know how come the OP had no debt when he is making those kind of numbers. If you were making $200,000 would you be in debt?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 AM

40 posts, read 187,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If you were making $200,000 would you be in debt?
I asked because anyone I know in a profession that makes 200k is buried in student loans.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 PM

120 posts, read 438,657 times
My wife and I make about 200K/yr gross.

One thing that I havent seen mentioned was how much you are planning on saving? We save about 30% of our gross income, so our net income after savings per month is about 6K.

This gets us a 1 bdrm in the UWS. (2800/mth). So the rest of the 3200/mth goes to food, entertainment and student loan payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City