Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:40 AM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering if anyone really knows when the Freedom Tower is going to be completed or at least when it is going to take shape? I have read some articles and wikipedia's article on the project and it seems like they are moving forward, but I heard the same thing back in 2005 when they said the tower would be completed in 2009, well obviously that did not happen. Now they are estimating that it may open in 2013-2014.

Is the financial crisis the big problem? Or are they just taking their time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
actually now is the perfect time to start because it will give people jobs, and then when it is finished the recession ought to solved and that would be a great time for real estate

Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
They have been working on the building, but Lower Manhattan can be challenging for construction due to the subways, water, bedrock, etc. The foundation is pretty well underway, and parts of it are above grade level. From what I recall, I think that it should be completed (the foundation) by this summer, i.e, completed above grade level.

There have been numerous setbacks to the project, but they are going forward with the revised design from 2005.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 AM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I am just wondering if anyone really knows when the Freedom Tower is going to be completed or at least when it is going to take shape? I have read some articles and wikipedia's article on the project and it seems like they are moving forward, but I heard the same thing back in 2005 when they said the tower would be completed in 2009, well obviously that did not happen. Now they are estimating that it may open in 2013-2014.

Is the financial crisis the big problem? Or are they just taking their time?
The WTC towers collapsed long before the economy did.

Taking their time? I guess you could call it that but I think it has more to do with incompetence and corruption.

Towering incompetence

Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I saw it a couple months ago, then again a week ago. They've made a lot of progress in these 2 months. Back in fall they were barely at ground level, now it's fairly high above ground level. At least in my opinion.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,834 times
I heard it won't be the tallest building in the world. That is truly dissapointing for me.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
They should make the new one resemble the old ones

Like keep the twin tower theme, build two towers

You can modernize the look and everything, but there just has to be two of them

Old 01-25-2009, 06:59 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
The WTC towers collapsed long before the economy did.

Taking their time? I guess you could call it that but I think it has more to do with incompetence and corruption.

Towering incompetence
I don't understand why it is taking so long to put up one building. The steel structure of the Empire State Building was up in one year. It truly is all about incompetence and corruption.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
actually now is the perfect time to start because it will give people jobs, and then when it is finished the recession ought to solved and that would be a great time for real estate
The question was not if time is favorable or not, but when will it be finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
I heard it won't be the tallest building in the world. That is truly dissapointing for me.
Not for me. I don't care if its the the tallest, biggest, etc. We need it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I don't understand why it is taking so long to put up one building. The steel structure of the Empire State Building was up in one year. It truly is all about incompetence and corruption.
1) Times have changed. None of the projects that made NY famous could be carried today. With the exception of the twin towers, all famous NYC landmarks were built before WW2. Among the reasons - change in laws, change in building code, astronomical insurance costs and increased labor costs, to name just a few. One example is the 2ed ave subway line. It is discussed for the last 15 years and so far they only dug one station. The whole NYC subway system, was built around 1900 with bare hands and took less time then one subway station in 2009.
2) The freedom tower is a special case, even by today's standards. One problem is too many chefs preparing the meal. Another is allowing any party involved to veto the process. Next is special consideration for victims families who wanted the memorial space open at all times during construction and the museum space be at an almost impossible location. Add the demand not to disrupt neighbors, businesses and traffic and you end with a nightmare. That being said, I guess it will be ready by 2013-14.

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-25-2009 at 08:20 PM..

Old 01-25-2009, 11:49 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,834 times
^I say NYC is the greatest city in the world and we deserve to have the greatest, tallest building. I'm sorry but I'm just upset that Dubai has a taller building than anything in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City