Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

Does anybody know the approximate year at which the Freedom Tower will be at it's HEIGHT (not completed on the inside, just at it's final height). I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

I'm trying to figure out at which point the framing will emerge above the other Lower Manhattan buildings. I can currently see the tops of the Woolworth building and some of the other taller ones from my bedroom, and I'm excited and curious as to when I'll be able to see the Freedom Tower emerge above those.

Any info would certainly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:58 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,507 times
If you can see Woolworth Building from Jersey City, I bet you will see the Freedom Tower, aka 1 WTC. It will be 1776 ft and much taller than Woolworth.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
If you can see Woolworth Building from Jersey City, I bet you will see the Freedom Tower, aka 1 WTC. It will be 1776 ft and much taller than Woolworth.
Well, I know that. My question is, at what point in time will the Freedom Tower start to emerge HIGHER than it's surrounding buildings?

2011?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,507 times
You must ask God for that. Only the Almighty can answer your question.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Well, I know that. My question is, at what point in time will the Freedom Tower start to emerge HIGHER than it's surrounding buildings?

2011?
Either 2011 or 2012 is my guess. The steel is now more than 20 stories above street level. A lot of the earlier work was in the below-grade foundations, but now the steel and concrete work should progress pretty well.

One World Trade Center

Also, the site "Skyscraper City" has an ongoing thread about One WTC. Most of the posters there seem to be engineers and architects or otherwise knowledgeable about (and fascinated by) the project--you might find more specific details on that site.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=902

Old 04-08-2010, 05:41 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,053,611 times
I'd like to know just how high the usable height will be and how high an observation deck will be. Some buildings have spires or towers that might add a few hundred feet in height but serve no real purpose other than cell phone or electronic broadcast towers. Philadelphia was proposing a 1600 foot tower that was 1200 feet with a non usable 400 foot spire. Bragging rights aside, why bother for something that's not even aesthetically or architecturally significant? I'd like to see the building rise to an honest 1300 or 1400 feet, anyway.
These projects are crawling. From the bad designs to the squabbling over costs and usage to delays and red tape, its sad. The Pa memorial is nowhere near done and should have been finished years ago.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Well, the memorial is the priority now because the politicians have focused on that and made promises. If you've checked the website recently, you can see they are installing the granite on the pools. It's a complicated project, and making the memorial the priority created an obvious logistical challenge: the memorial is the roof of a structure (The PATH Station) that goes down 60 feet below grade just like the rest of the site. When the objective is to make sure the roof is done no matter what the status of everything underneath it, it takes some creativity, especially on a site with so many interconnected but separate projects.

But there are about 1000 workers on site right now and that number should be over 3000 by the end of the year. Most of the contracts have been awarded.

The ob deck and restaurant will probably be around the 100/101 floors.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-08-2010 at 07:07 AM..

Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd like to know just how high the usable height will be and how high an observation deck will be. Some buildings have spires or towers that might add a few hundred feet in height but serve no real purpose other than cell phone or electronic broadcast towers. Philadelphia was proposing a 1600 foot tower that was 1200 feet with a non usable 400 foot spire. Bragging rights aside, why bother for something that's not even aesthetically or architecturally significant? I'd like to see the building rise to an honest 1300 or 1400 feet, anyway.
These projects are crawling. From the bad designs to the squabbling over costs and usage to delays and red tape, its sad. The Pa memorial is nowhere near done and should have been finished years ago.
I think the height to the roof of the building will be somewhere around 1,400 feet.

I wish this project didn't see all these delays, I've always dreamed of seeing the Freedom Tower rise out of the same window (well its a newer window now lol) I saw the Twin Towers come down. That won't happen now.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
They keep pushing the date back due to slowing in construction industries...

Old 04-08-2010, 10:20 PM

141 posts, read 352,805 times
The Empire State Building took eleven months to complete from start to finish. The project came in under budget. Just goes to show what real intelligence, commitment, and far less federal regulations can accomplish. As far as I'm concerned, the political bickering and essentially corrupt economic concerns have made a travesty of the entire current project. If these wankers had even a remotely small pair of proverbial balls, 'Freedom Tower' would have exceeded the height of the original Trade Towers with a fully functioning interior design. It would have been completed by now too. The actual functioning height of the building maxes out at 1,362 with 108 floors rather than 110 or more. It is nothing short of demeaning to let the rape we experienced dictate less than what bold thinking should be capable of creating. I consider this nothing less than a complete disrespect to both our principles as a nation and the spirit of those that died on September 11th. What a shame.

Last edited by Tony Of New York; 04-08-2010 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City