Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,371 times

Advertisements

This might be a stupid question. And a lot of other people may have already asked it. I'm just wondering, if you live in NYC, but have also lived somewhere else...is NYC better than that/those other place(s)? What are the perks and drawbacks that nobody tells you about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Good thing about NYC is that you dont need a car

Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Good thing about NYC is that you dont need a car
Agreed! And the beauty of NYC is that there are parts of the outer boroughs which are more predisposed to one having a car if the average person would like one.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
NYC is the best, but then I am biased being a native. No matter where else I spend a lot of time in this country, or the world, I know I am home when I am back in NY, no doubt about it. There are other cities that I like and have fun when I am there, but it's not the same. NYC has just about everything one could want to do at any time of the day or night.

The drawbacks to NYC are the congestion and the expense, since everything comes at a price. There are many free things to do in NYC, but the rents are higher so people are paying for the proximity to them. Plus, many attractions can have a hefty premium, both for admissions/membership costs and incidentals such as parking.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:04 AM

690 posts, read 2,108,371 times
I like the idea of not having a car. It's kind of a chore to have to keep up with the upkeep. Not to mention the payments and insurance.

I read somewhere that everybody should live in NYC once, just to check it out. I really think that's what I want to do...but I'm afraid about money issues. I'm finishing up school right now, so hopefully I can get a job in a good industry when I decide to move. Although, maybe now is probably not a good time to be on a job search...

Old 02-07-2009, 05:23 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
I've been to most of the world's major cities - London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Moscow, Istanbul, Mumbai, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo etc and nothing comes close to NYC. Although I will say Paris is more beautiful, and Tokyo is more urban and if London had Tokyo's body, it'd be the greatest city in the world, way beyond New York.

New York is the greatest because of the American spirit. It's bigger than life because of the dreams of every individual that lives here. You really feel the energy that the possibilities are endless here and that your dreams are within grasp. You can feel that from the kids that hustle mnms on the train to the CEOs on Wall Street to the actors on Broadway - everyone has that drive in them here because they want to make it on a world stage.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:17 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Umm lets see - I think that there is NYC and then every where else - good or bad - I think there are people born in other places (country by NY standards), but are 100% City and then there are people who live in NY all there life and never really feel like it is there home. I love NYC for all the reasons people love it, convenience, opporturnity, night life, museums, culture of so many different countries, etc., I could go on and on. However, after my parents divorce when I was 11, I spent some years in another state as a kid and live kind of the tv school life, I think that raising your children in another area is much more beneficial to them. Again, this is just a personal opinion and from my experience. i have 2 boys who are sports crazy, so football/baseball/basketball is there whole life outside of school. Of course all those things are offered here, but an expense that sometimes is just too much and my experience confirms it just isn't the same. The quality is very, very different. If they were into acting/singing/modelling, no place better than NY.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 AM

327 posts, read 881,921 times
not a dumb question..after the first 2 months of moving here, i wanted out..i felt drained from the work pace and social obligations...

1.5 years later, if i leave the island for more than one week, i CRAVE to come back...once you learn to deal, make your "family" here, it becomes unimaginable for me to move elsewhere permanently. where else can i gym, dine, movie, sex, coffee, work, grocer, drink, shop, see nature (cp), have unexpected anonymous conversations at said places, all within 3 blocks of my apartment??

my only regret is i didn't move in sooner.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
I'd have to say that NYC is indeed a positively unique place to be. However, there are pros and cons, like everywhere else. For me, the pros outweigh the cons. I love the career, educational, professional opportunities, the dining, entertainment options, the diversity in race, ethnicity, religion. And I love that owning a car can well be optional in many parts of the five boroughs.

However, be forewarned that the rapid pace, the congestion, the humid summers, sometimes bitter winters, high housing costs, cost of living etc., may well put a strain on one's psyche and body.

For some NYC is the only place to ever be. For others, it's the place to be at a certain phase in life...and then it's time to move on.

The OP will have to experience NYC for himself/herself to make the judgment as to whether our town is ideal for them.

On a personal note, for me NYC still is the best - every borough within the city offers me delights that appease all my cravings for an enjoyable life. However, I'm averse to cold weather and would love to have a second home, at least, in Florida or the Carolinas. But even if that should materialize, NYC will always be considerd for me, a wonderful place to be!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
If you grew up in the vicinity, than it will be better than anywhere else

if you did not grow up around here, then you are just kidding yourself, when you say it is better than home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City