Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM

13,517 posts, read 17,075,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
I never buy anything at Yankee games, I'd rather spend the money in the community at the various eating establishments in the area.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 AM

730 posts, read 2,057,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
I never buy anything at Yankee games, I'd rather spend the money in the community at the various eating establishments in the area.
I'd do the same. However, the new Stadium has new restaurants so that apparently "people coming from outside the City won't have to set foot into the neighborhood." (boooooooooooooo!)

Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,981,514 times
We didn't even need those two stadiums. Shea was a dump, but it could have been renovated for far less money. Same with Yankee stadium. It's a shame they aren't using such a historic ball field anymore. Wrigley is older and Chicago isn't throwing away money for a stadium that looks identical to it. When we're in such an economic crisis, these things can wait.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 AM

655 posts, read 1,995,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
I'd do the same. However, the new Stadium has new restaurants so that apparently "people coming from outside the City won't have to set foot into the neighborhood." (boooooooooooooo!)
That's unfortunately true unless the middle class fan sees the prices and has no problem walking up 161 street past the standard bars, Stan's and Billy's.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM

939 posts, read 2,686,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
With little more than a month to go to opening day, what's the buzz like in NYC over the opening of Yankee Stadium and Citi Field?
Myself and many others I'm sure, could really care less about the new stadiums. They were financed with money stolen from the citizens of New York. Overpaid, spoiled millionaires will be playing watched by other spoiled millionaires who can afford box seats that cost hundreds of dollars per game. Like others, I may watch occassionally from home but if I want to see real baseball in person, I'll go to a minor league or college game where the players are more passionate and actually run out ground balls to the infield!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:43 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,870,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
We didn't even need those two stadiums. Shea was a dump, but it could have been renovated for far less money. Same with Yankee stadium. It's a shame they aren't using such a historic ball field anymore. Wrigley is older and Chicago isn't throwing away money for a stadium that looks identical to it. When we're in such an economic crisis, these things can wait.
Rachael, obviously you're right about how we want to keep Wrigley just as it is.

But here's something you and others might find surprising: with all the over-the-top retro-parks and the post-retros where every quirk in design is put in (or steroirds, I might add), our other ballpark, US Cellular Field (aka the new Comiskey), a much maligned place, actually starts looking better with its symmetrical layout and straight forward lines.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM

655 posts, read 1,995,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Rachael, obviously you're right about how we want to keep Wrigley just as it is.

But here's something you and others might find surprising: with all the over-the-top retro-parks and the post-retros where every quirk in design is put in (or steroirds, I might add), our other ballpark, US Cellular Field (aka the new Comiskey), a much maligned place, actually starts looking better with its symmetrical layout and straight forward lines.
I never understood that about Comiskey. I went there when I visited Chicago and thought it was a nice place to watch a game.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:27 PM

904 posts, read 2,877,745 times
To answer your question, not very. I wanted to get one of those Mets ticket seven packs over the weekend, only to find that they don't have them anymore. Now you've gotta buy 15 tickets and it's nearly $300 a seat for the cheapest seats - no way I'm going spending that much, going to that many games, or bothering to sell tickets to games I can't make it to. The seven-pack was perfect. I'm convinced this is because of the demand for tickets at Citi Field.

Look, Shea was a dump. But I liked being able to get up one day and head over to the ballpark on a whim, buy the $15 cheap seats and then make my way down to the loge section (or as we called them at Shea, the "blue seats"). I go to baseball games to watch baseball, or else kick back a few beers with some friends. You don't need high-class food and merchandise stands, or "rotundas," to do that. Gimme the cheap seats and let me watch the game and drink a beer and I'm happy.

This is to say nothing of the patently absurd tax breaks and subsidies that both teams got from the city...I don't even feel like going into that one right now.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:01 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,870,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
TLook, Shea was a dump. But I liked being able to get up one day and head over to the ballpark on a whim, buy the $15 cheap seats and then make my way down to the loge section (or as we called them at Shea, the "blue seats"). I
neon, what's ironic about it being a dump is that despite its cookie cutter/football-baseball/sterile mix and that Citi has the irregular lines of the classic, old ballparks, Shea's lack of pretension and equality and sense that you are there to watch a baseball game makes it, in many ways, more akin to Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds than the new park will be.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:10 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,674,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I go to baseball games to watch baseball, or else kick back a few beers with some friends. You don't need high-class food and merchandise stands, or "rotundas," to do that. Gimme the cheap seats and let me watch the game and drink a beer and I'm happy.
Always nice to make the acquaintance of another real baseball fan! I, too, go to games only to watch baseball. Everything else is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City