Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,857,588 times

Advertisements

With little more than a month to go to opening day, what's the buzz like in NYC over the opening of Yankee Stadium and Citi Field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 PM

718 posts, read 2,327,185 times
Why would anyone be pumped for taxpayer dollars to be wasted on one stadium and the bailout of a private corporation who sponsors the other stadium? Why would people be excited for higher ticket prices and fewer seats in a stadium?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,344,446 times
well in all fairness, the old ones were too old, and new ones were sorely needed

Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,857,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Why would anyone be pumped for taxpayer dollars to be wasted on one stadium and the bailout of a private corporation who sponsors the other stadium? Why would people be excited for higher ticket prices and fewer seats in a stadium?
even though i asked the question, i'm in full agreement with you about the cost and the obscenity of it all and the current economic era we entered (one which, BTW, ended the excesses of both stadiums forever), but with stadiums planned and built before the "collapse", they are still facts on the ground and a new part of the NYC landscape. As such, I am sure plenty of New Yorkers (and non-New Yorkers) will have a special interest to the start of this new baseball season.

For the record, I'm a Chicagoan and a Cub fan and Wrigley Field with its age, tradition, scale, sense of purpose (a ballpark, not The Palace Of The Universe) and more equalitarian ways is still IMHO the best park in the majors with Fenway coming in a close second.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,643,544 times
As a lifelong Met fan, I have to say that I'm not quite ready to start dancing in the streets over the prospect of Citifield. Completely aside from the obscenity of the financial arrangements, there's the problem over its size. Ebbets Field was the smallest ballpark in the National League, and the Dodgers moved out of Brooklyn because they could not arrange for a larger facility here. Now the Mets have consciously torn down a stadium that sat almost 58,000 in favor of one that seats 45,000.

We don't even have to start talking about what everything involved with going to see a baseball game will cost...assuming of course that you're one of the lucky 45,000 (in a city of eight million!) to get your hands on a ticket. As usual in this day and age, the corporations get a red carpet and the fans get screwed.

Put this all together, and it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 AM

655 posts, read 1,994,004 times
I'm excited to watch the games from the comfort of home. Despite all the nonsense, steroids, taxpayer funded stadiums, baseball is still a special game for me and many others and the game itself is bigger than any of this and what attracts me to watching it.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:23 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,246,838 times
Default Citifield????

CITIFIELD????? Why are they calling it Citifield. They financed it with the money they stole from the people with their Ponzi schemes. They should call it New Yorkers Field or People's Field.

I used to play on the tennis courts across from Shea all the time. I was shocked how much had been done when I returned after being away for a year.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,060,149 times
I've already dropped from going to 10 Mets or Yankees games per year to 1 each, because of how outrageously the prices have risen in the last 10 years.

I may go to Citi Field once. I never buy food or drink at the stadium because the mark up is simply highway robbery.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,158,409 times
Mets fan here and I don't think they should have replaced Yankee stadium.

As for Citifield, bleh. Shea was kind of a dump, though. I attended my first MLB game there though, so it holds special memories for me.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 AM

655 posts, read 1,994,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I've already dropped from going to 10 Mets or Yankees games per year to 1 each, because of how outrageously the prices have risen in the last 10 years.

I may go to Citi Field once. I never buy food or drink at the stadium because the mark up is simply highway robbery.
I never buy anything at Yankee games, I'd rather spend the money in the community at the various eating establishments in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City