Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 64,310 times

Advertisements

My landlord has issued me a 3 day rent demand notice.If I do not give him his back rent before the end of three days,or surrender the apartment he will file papers in court to have me evicted etc.
I thought the rent demand notices were 30 days? not 3?
I live in Queens,Howard Beach.Is my landlord supossed to give me a 30 day notice instead? or did he do the correct thing? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:20 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Are you in a building with more than 6 apts?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:09 PM

9 posts, read 64,310 times
Yes there is more than 6 apts,I'm pretty sure.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
You should have 30 days notice before you receive an eviction notice. But I don't think this technicality will make much of a difference to the judge, if you actually owe rent.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:42 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,463 times
Unless you have a really good reason for not paying rent, I don't think it will make much of a difference if it goes to court - especially if your more than 1 month behind.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
This is called a "3 Day Pay or Quit", which the landlord gives you before filing eviction.

He did the correct thing, and can give you this notice once you are even a day late on your rent. This does not mean you are evicted in 3 days, it means if you don't pay in 3 days, they will file for eviction.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:45 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
This is called a "3 Day Pay or Quit", which the landlord gives you before filing eviction.

He did the correct thing, and can give you this notice once you are even a day late on your rent. This does not mean you are evicted in 3 days, it means if you don't pay in 3 days, they will file for eviction.
Is this some new thing they're doing in New York now?

I know it's done in Los Angeles, but usually NYC landlords wait about 30 days before moving to evict. I never saw or knew anyone to get a THREE DAY NOTICE. I never heard of those things until I left NYC.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:11 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Is this some new thing they're doing in New York now?

I know it's done in Los Angeles, but usually NYC landlords wait about 30 days before moving to evict. I never saw or knew anyone to get a THREE DAY NOTICE. I never heard of those things until I left NYC.
No, this is not new. A 3 day notice is a notice to pay or else eviction proceedings will be filed with the court, as Newtoli stated. Based on the OP, it is not known how late the rent is. It coud be a month or even 2 months back rent that was owed before the 3 day notice was sent. Even if it is a day late they can send the 3 day notice but for most landlords, it is not worth the effort and paperwork required to start eviction proceedings in the same month that rent is owed, and I doubt that Housing Court looks favorably upon landlords that do so because it clogs up the system.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:42 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
No, this is not new. A 3 day notice is a notice to pay or else eviction proceedings will be filed with the court, as Newtoli stated. Based on the OP, it is not known how late the rent is. It coud be a month or even 2 months back rent that was owed before the 3 day notice was sent. Even if it is a day late they can send the 3 day notice but for most landlords, it is not worth the effort and paperwork required to start eviction proceedings in the same month that rent is owed, and I doubt that Housing Court looks favorably upon landlords that do so because it clogs up the system.

Yeah, I would think so. They have no problem with that in Los Angeles though.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,708 times
Default just pay something!

Pay your rent! Don't be surprised if after you finally pay, your landlord gives a 30 day notice for being an unreliable tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: