Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 41,450 times

Advertisements

I currently work in Jersey City and live in Brooklyn. After preparing my 2008 taxes, I was shocked to see how much I owe under NY State and NYC. I'm debating if I should move to Jersey City. Is it true that Jersey City has no local income tax?

Can someone please breakdown the difference between what my taxes would be like if:
A) I live and work in Jersey City
B) I live in NYC and work in Jersey City

Info: Single, $75K/yr income, currently renting
I hope this is enough info
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:25 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
wow that must be a crazy commute everyday

Old 03-09-2009, 06:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplelyfe View Post
I currently work in Jersey City and live in Brooklyn. After preparing my 2008 taxes, I was shocked to see how much I owe under NY State and NYC. I'm debating if I should move to Jersey City. Is it true that Jersey City has no local income tax?

Can someone please breakdown the difference between what my taxes would be like if:
A) I live and work in Jersey City
B) I live in NYC and work in Jersey City

Info: Single, $75K/yr income, currently renting
I hope this is enough info
Thanks!
You can do this for yourself: Paycheck calculator, making sure you tick the box for NYC.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM

8 posts, read 41,450 times
K.O.N.Y - commute is 40 minutes from the L, not too bad...
Viralmd - Thanks for the link

Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 PM

167 posts, read 553,506 times
I am in the same boat as you - live in Manhattan, work in Jersey City.

Used to live in Jersey City and yes, if you live in JC and work there, you only pay Jersey taxes. No local taxes.

If you live in NYC and work in JC you get whacked with NJ, NYS and NYC taxes. Yes, you get some back. In my case I actually pay more in Jersey taxes than NYS taxes (not including NYC taxes).

Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM

257 posts, read 824,480 times
New Jersey sends you a check for renting every year. It was only 50 bux...but still. And you get taxed twice but there is a law that you can only pay taxes in one state..(I think this is why) you get your Jersey taxes back. Newport is really nice in a high rise kind of way, as is Paulus Hook in a brownstone way. Its only 15min into the city.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Jersey City is, in many ways, really similar to Brooklyn. Mix of luxury hi-rise, and older historic brownstone neighborhoods. Stick to the Downtown neighborhoods...other areas tend to be a bit sketchy.

Lots of great restaurants, cafes, bars, and more are popping up. I'd move to JC for the commute alone...you will be able to walk to your office if you move to one of the Downtown neighborhoods. 10-15 minute walk...no expense!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:53 PM

101 posts, read 562,881 times
My uncle used to live in JC. I loved it . I live in BK and I may move back to NJ ....I dont understand living in one state and working in the other..The commute costs money tolls etc. I prefer to VISIT NYC rather than live here but its up to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: