Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 9,430 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
wondering if you can help us. There are some developments available to us in Brooklyn but I'm not familiar with these areas. Any suggestions, comments, advice, etc would be extremely helpful and useful to us. We have 3 kids, an 11 year old and two 8 month baby twins so being able to commute into Manhattan for work, babysitting, etc. is essential. Let me know what you think. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks!

BROWNSVILLE-located between Rockaway Ave/Mother Gaston Blvd and Dumont Ave/Sutter Ave
HUGHES-located between Belmont Ave/Sutter Ave and Rockaway Ave/Mother Gaston Blvd
RED HOOK EAST-located between Hicks St/Henry St and Clinton St/West 9th St
RED HOOK WEST-located between Dwight St/Walcott ST and Richards St/Red Hook Park
TOMPKINS-located between Tompkins Ave/Myrtle Ave and Park Ave/Throop Ave
UNITY PLAZA-located between Blake Ave/Sheffield Ave and Hinsdale St/Sutter Ave
VAN DYKE-located between Sutter Ave/Livonia Ave and Mother Gaston Blvd/Powell St
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 AM

995 posts, read 2,727,009 times
Are you looking to move into the housing projects? If that is the case, you can't just simply moving into any vacant apartment in any of these location. You have to get your name on a list first. IMO, if wherever your coming from has nice rolling green grass, then this won't be an easy transition. Some of these areas aren't for the weak.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Rule of thumb is to avoid all the developments in Brownsville(Brownsville, Langston Hughes, Unity & Van Dyke). Brownsville is currently one of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn. It's pretty much the lesser of the 2 evils between Tompkins and Red Hook. I do remember there was a big drug bust in Red Hook a year or 2 ago and also the NYPD has a satellite precient within the development(if it makes a difference or not). Might have cleaned up the area a bit. Take a stroll along the developments during the day and see what's what. Good luck.

Last edited by 009; 03-17-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 9,430 times
Thanks so much for the quick reply. We'll definitely be scoping some of these areas during the day and hopefully we'll be able to get an apartment in a safe neighborhood for the kids. I heard the commute within the Unity Plaza areas are pretty bad too. I also heard that there are now new housing developments in Tompkins and I believe Hughes so we might check those out and see it they suite our needs. If not then we might have to wait a bit longer. Blessings and Best Wishes!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:22 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Best to wait it out and see if something better pops up if your situation is not "dire". When I lived in the projects, me and my caretaker were offered and entered a lottery for Pomonok Houses in Queens, one of the better developments in the city. We were told that it would take about a year for us to be called for that development. We opted out for another development that was available faster in Brooklyn instead because of our housing situation. Bad mistake. Choose wisely...

Old 03-17-2009, 03:34 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,209 times
Probably Tompkins. It appears to be the closest to the train with a quick commute into Manhattan.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:44 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
they all are bad. however, tompkins is your best bet out of the pick. red hook, brownsville and east new york are out of the question.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2009, 08:51 PM

10 posts, read 32,085 times
Did you get the same letter as me Red Dragonfly loll .... I heard Red Hook arent not good at all from my aunt... Tompkins is looking likethe best one right now...

Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 PM

10 posts, read 32,085 times
"Rule of thumb is to avoid all the developments in Brownsville(Brownsville, Langston Hughes, Unity & Van Dyke). Brownsville is currently one of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn. It's pretty much the lesser of the 2 evils between Tompkins and Red Hook. I do remember there was a big drug bust in Red Hook a year or 2 ago and also the NYPD has a satellite precient within the development(if it makes a difference or not). Might have cleaned up the area a bit. Take a stroll along the developments during the day and see what's what. Good luck."

Maybe taking a stroll at night in the evening too is good... during the day isnt always bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City