Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 12:22 AM

656 posts, read 1,412,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xxSanitList View Post
I was 2 months into a new job and didnt have the time to go out. If you remember the economy was kinda screwed at the time. Didnt want to risk a job for something that wasnt locked. Here I am a year later and I still havent been called. Trust me its unsettleing not haveing the CDL, but now I have the days so when the have another class I'm taking it. Worst case I'm going to have to get it on my own. Its a lot more expensive to take it on your own. Im thinking about just taking a few hours with a place and taking a shot. I can handle a large vehicle I just have to study all the technical stuff
You sure? It will cost you $900 with dsny...$25 a week after taxes for 9 months!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 AM

360 posts, read 736,147 times
My opinion is i would not wait go to DMV and get it before the call when i went to go take it (cause thought with a list number below #2,000 would of been a year ago in a normal economy so silly of me) cause i would of gotten a call soon (presumption) anyways... i remember taking the written portion of the test and a few of the guys from last years summer classes mass panic cause they did not pass the one DSNY was offering and you talk about the sight of fear these guys had it and they still had too still cough up the money regardless so whats the worst to get it before hand so when i get called like i saw on another post no worrys i have my CDL already....For the time being also it could get you a job always open up daily news or post and see CDL jobs being listed.....I would go and get it .... so you could rest easier before the call....

Old 07-21-2009, 06:41 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,064,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deac39 View Post
My opinion is i would not wait go to DMV and get it before the call when i went to go take it (cause thought with a list number below #2,000 would of been a year ago in a normal economy so silly of me) cause i would of gotten a call soon (presumption) anyways... i remember taking the written portion of the test and a few of the guys from last years summer classes mass panic cause they did not pass the one DSNY was offering and you talk about the sight of fear these guys had it and they still had too still cough up the money regardless so whats the worst to get it before hand so when i get called like i saw on another post no worrys i have my CDL already....For the time being also it could get you a job always open up daily news or post and see CDL jobs being listed.....I would go and get it .... so you could rest easier before the call....
Even though the passing rate is very high at FBF, there are no guarantees. It's better to get your CDL B on your own before they reach your list number.

Another source for CDL jobs is Craigslist, look under jobs/transport.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 AM

253 posts, read 540,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post
You sure? It will cost you $900 with dsny...$25 a week after taxes for 9 months!
Well most private places are buy the hour. Example is 15 hours plus rental for road test is 1500 buck. Also thats upfront not spread out. $900 at 25 a week. Training in a vehicle you will actualy be using is much better to me. I found one that will give me 4 hours on the road plus rental for 5oo bucks. Also correct me if I'm wrong. Wasnt FBF 5 full days?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 AM

253 posts, read 540,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Even though the passing rate is very high at FBF, there are no guarantees. It's better to get your CDL B on your own before they reach your list number.

I agree. I'm going to have to get it on my own. Actually have been putting money on the side. Im hoping to have my cdl by september. Times are rough...

Also Deac29 you hit it right on the head. Worrying about not having that and getting a call is the real killer.... I got the permit that was easy.....

Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 AM

208 posts, read 438,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post

I failed with FBF, got no points off on my own. I figured out of the whole group that comes together they have to fail at least one person and I was that person. Craigslist never has anything too appealing, most want exp.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 AM

208 posts, read 438,843 times
Quote:
Well most private places are buy the hour. Example is 15 hours plus rental for road test is 1500 buck. Also thats upfront not spread out. $900 at 25 a week. Training in a vehicle you will actualy be using is much better to me. I found one that will give me 4 hours on the road plus rental for 5oo bucks. Also correct me if I'm wrong. Wasnt FBF 5 full days?
Last year Queens Driving school in Astoria was 500 bucks for 2 or 3 lessons and the bus for the test, their truck broke down and I had to run to get the P endorsement to take the road test.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:09 PM

136 posts, read 267,766 times
Quote:
I agree. I'm going to have to get it on my own. Actually have been putting money on the side. Im hoping to have my cdl by september. Times are rough...

Also Deac29 you hit it right on the head. Worrying about not having that and getting a call is the real killer.... I got the permit that was easy.....
if u guys want to try getting your cdl training for free check out workforce1. They have them in all boroughs...its a govt funded job training center.
i went right before dsny called me but didnt have enough time to go through their process since dsny called right after i went.
From what i know if you make less than $50,000 a yr they will give u a $2,500 voucher which you can use at driving schools. You have to have a resume, SS card, driver license etc...i think the whole process of them giving you the voucher takes a month or too. I think you have to go three times and do some workshops of how to get a job, blah blah blah but its worth it if your license is free, mine was 900

If your interested check the link for your borough and call them to find out on getting started, tell them you want the cdl voucher

Small Business Services - Workforce1

Old 07-21-2009, 07:40 PM

13 posts, read 72,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post
I had the opposite experience at Q10. I was on recycling with another out of towner, I did not know the area AT ALL, he was somewhat familiar with it. Right before lunch foreman started using tactics of "u know this route ALWAYS cleans and dumps right?" "u know we will have to council you if you do not clean right?" We tell him we are both out of town and do not know the area, we will do our best. We were doing one side of the street and working like gentlemen not running lights or riding on the lip of the hopper. After lunch the super is out tailing us but he is trying to be secretive about it. Before our 10 min break the deputy chief is now out on our trail and telling us how to work! We step it up a little bit because we are both still on probation but we are not running.

Turns out the truck saved us! We had an old CM and the handles would get stuck when you finished cycling it so after the whole day of having the packer on the hydrolic system finally overheated! We gave back 10 lines of work and were covered since the truck legitmately went down! Worst out of town experience EVER!
hey kuai dont get me wrong ever think of investing in an atlas? i am in the bronx for about a year now and i still get turned around on the side streets my atlas (though i get mad Moderator cut: language from the guys about it)saves me every time ....even in Q10

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-21-2009 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 07-22-2009, 12:05 AM

656 posts, read 1,412,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBEE70 View Post
hey kuai dont get me wrong ever think of investing in an atlas? i am in the bronx for about a year now and i still get turned around on the side streets my atlas (though i get mad Moderator cut: language from the guys about it)saves me every time ....even in Q10
I have an iPhone and it has google maps with gps. It was the only thing that kept us from getting completely lost. But even with that queens is still confusing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City