Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
so if the neighborhood will probably be cheap again, whats the point in raising prices?
Because demand is higher and people may be willing to pay more. If no buyers are found then the seller will have no choice but to lower the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,640 times
also keep in mind how many people from the north (and the west) are leaving their cities to move to the south because of the affordability. im tell you, most people wouldn't move to a city if they cant afford it (and believe me, most working class/middle class people cant afford nyc) regardless whether it has better neighborhoods or not. i mean, if you can afford a 3 bedroom in a decent neighborhood in nyc, then you can afford a 6 bedroom in an even better neighborhood somewhere south. and don't tell me "well, in nyc you have more things to do, therefore it would be best living here." again, most people will choose affordability over amenities any day.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Because demand is higher and people may be willing to pay more. If no buyers are found then the seller will have no choice but to lower the price.
your right. im just glad there are a small percentage of neighborhoods that will remain cheap.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:39 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,332,261 times
Revitalization will soon come to a screeching halt. The totally Dem-controlled Albany govt is about to literally kill the NYC real estate industry - both big and small landlords. NYC's property tax base will also take a major hit.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Gentrification is just an oversued overhyped attention grabbing word..and in fact has little basis in reality. There is a revitalization going on across the city, and because Tenants have an inordinate amount of rights, it is virtually impossible to get one out barring non-payment of rent for a year, or murder. The reality is the revitalization that is sweeping the city is benefitting Tenants of all colors and socio-econimic class, the poor moreso because now their neighborhoods are getting more amenities, investments, and attention, with crime plumetting..all of which they are now enjoying at NO cost to them. So what exactly is the problem here? Most Tenants are rent stabilized and/or rent controlled, so regardless of what is occuring in the neighborhood, their rents are FIXED. So what exactly is everyone complaining about? Regarding nabes Tenants of lower brackets are moving to, many are actually leaving NYC to areas like Florida, Pennsylvania, NJ, with some going to the central Bronx. The South Bronx is actually becoming too expensive due to the influx of new residents and housing...the Central Bronx is now the most economical choice.
+1

It seems alot of NYers use "gentrification" as a code word to vent their fustrations at seeing newcomers in their hoods who are doing well for themselves. NY certainly does not lack for immigrants and other strivers nowanddays. It's mostly a combo of the old fogey white ethnics and the welfare crowd who Mod cut; languagethe most about it. The rest of us get on with it.....

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-01-2009 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
It seems alot of NYers use "gentrification" as a code word to vent their fustrations at seeing newcomers in their hoods who are doing well for themselves. NY certainly does not lack for immigrants and other strivers nowanddays.
Exactly right! The same thing has actually been going on since Day One in this town. The difference is that now there's a label (a misleading, buzzword type of label) attached to it.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:08 AM

another thing to consider is that hipsters may leave nyc too. the reason they even moved into these neighborhoods was because they were cheap (which they arent anymore) and because they thought it made them "hip" or whatever because these neighborhoods were gritty (which they arent anymore). again, thus shrinking nyc's population. i was also reading about black flight to the suburbs from cities which will also shrink nyc's population (among other cities). before anyone tries to dismiss what i'm saying atleast look it up first. btw, no i am not against gentrification of neighborhoods, but come on. be realistic here. nothing happens (even if its good) without consequences.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM

479 posts, read 1,443,251 times
^ While some hipsters leave others will come in and take their place. So I don't understand what you are trying to say. As long as there young people in this country and around the world. They will move in numbers in small apartments if they have to. Hipsters or artists types have been a staple of NYC for a long time. As a neighborhood becomes too expensive they move to another neighborhood. They first move to the West Village, then years later they were in the East Village, then the Lower East Side, then Williamsburg, and now in Bushwick. Believe me they are part of the ever changing city population.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 AM

i try to explain it better. eventually nyc all together will no longer be hip. real hipsters will only live or try to live in hip neighborhoods. west village, east village and lower east side will probably never be "hip" again, in the future, so will williamsburg and bushwick. when one neighborhood is no longer hip, then another cheaper neighborhood will be until that neighborhood is gentrified and so on. what happens when the whole city becomes gentrified? those young people that you say will move into the unhip neighborhoods that all the hipsters left, are probably not hipsters but just regular young people. so let me ask you, where in the city will they move when they can no longer afford any neighborhoods?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:52 AM

let me just put it like this. to a hipster, expensive neighborhoods that are filled with yuppies and without grit, are not hip. nyc only has a few neighborhoods like this remaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City