Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Exactly right! The same thing has actually been going on since Day One in this town. The difference is that now there's a label (a misleading, buzzword type of label) attached to it.
This has not been true until recent times. In the past one group was replaced by another group, that was on equal footing economically, with the group that it was replacing. The group that was moving out started climbing up the ecomomic ladder, to better, more expensive neighborhoods or suburbs.

Now you have wealthier people replacing poor/working/middleclass people. In some areas only a wealthier person can rent the apt. because they can pay the 2 years of rent in advance. I can't blame the landlord though.

Fred314X I know you like to post about that first transaction between the Dutch and the Native Americans as an example of gentrification. Native Americans call it something else. Anyway, basically after the English did the same thing to the Dutch more or less, it hasn't been done this way too often until recent times.

Until more recent times you could come to NY, or if you were NYer, move out of your parents home, and get your first apt in a cheap neighborhood. It would probably be very gritty, and there are many tales still told about first apts in NYC, but you could have found a cheap one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
DAS you can still do that today. There are PLENTY of immigrants still coming here and finding very affordable/cheap apts. I believe the Daily News just had an article about a month ago about the Bronx now becoming the most diverse in the city due to the influx of IMMIGRANTS! in 2009!!! Yes..it is still happening, there are plenty of affordable/cheap places to live in NYC...so why does everyone think it does not exist or that somehow people are priced out? The deals are there and in your face...but people choose not to see them b/c they get caught up in the "everyone is rich" mentality..when the opposite is true..everyone is actually quite poor in NYC..average Household income (as in everyone's combined income in that household) is $43,000 approximately...that is not a marker for a "rich" city/community..it is working class at best.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
DAS you can still do that today. There are PLENTY of immigrants still coming here and finding very affordable/cheap apts. I believe the Daily News just had an article about a month ago about the Bronx now becoming the most diverse in the city due to the influx of IMMIGRANTS! in 2009!!! Yes..it is still happening, there are plenty of affordable/cheap places to live in NYC...so why does everyone think it does not exist or that somehow people are priced out? The deals are there and in your face...but people choose not to see them b/c they get caught up in the "everyone is rich" mentality..when the opposite is true..everyone is actually quite poor in NYC..average Household income (as in everyone's combined income in that household) is $43,000 approximately...that is not a marker for a "rich" city/community..it is working class at best.
SobroGuy is right on here.My neighborhood in The Bronx ( Pelham Parkway) is like the UN. Large numbers of Albanians who in less than 20 years now own many businesses and big apartment buildings in the neighborhood.We also have Koreans,Pakistanis,Indians,Ghanians,Somalians,Chin ese, Russians,Thais,Cambodians,Mexicans and others.A lot of them now own many of the small businesses in the neighborhood even though they came here in the last 20 years,had nothing when they arrived and couldn't speak English.!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Yes and in my area of Woodstock (North Mott Haven), there are now lots of Mexicans, some Asians are popping up, and a sprinkling of Hipsters, artists, and Brooklyn transplants seeking AFFORDABILITY. And I say..welcome! What took ya so long...now buy me a drink!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:27 PM

567 posts, read 1,445,774 times
Quote:
Yes and in my area of Woodstock (North Mott Haven), there are now lots of Mexicans, some Asians are popping up, and a sprinkling of Hipsters, artists, and Brooklyn transplants seeking AFFORDABILITY. And I say..welcome! What took ya so long...now buy me a drink!
yes, but what happens when that affordability is gone. if mott haven is as desirable as you make it sound, then theres only a short amount of time before it gets completely gentrified.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:50 PM

16 posts, read 42,201 times
you're forgetting that 'gentrification' comes in cycles

case in point: before the Bowery was a skid row, it was a desirable neighborhood.
before SoHo was SoHo and before it was Hell's Hundred Acres it was a desirable neighborhood.

there will always be neighborhoods for people to move to. you're being too short-sighted.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:58 PM

GDK...what is occuring in Mott Haven, and most other nabes in NYC is NOT gentrification, it is a revitalization. The Bronx, and South Bronx, were always working/middle class communities, and they are being repositioned to that original purpose. The area is being revitalized, and new people are JOINING the current members, NOT displacing them. Sure some people are moving for all sorts or reasons, including somewhere more affordable, but that has always been the case in NYC. The WHOLE city is now being revitalized and safer/more attractive to locals and newbies....and thats the way it should be.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamserge View Post
you're forgetting that 'gentrification' comes in cycles

case in point: before the Bowery was a skid row, it was a desirable neighborhood.
before SoHo was SoHo and before it was Hell's Hundred Acres it was a desirable neighborhood.

there will always be neighborhoods for people to move to. you're being too short-sighted.
hold up. are you saying these gentrified neighborhoods will be cheap sometime in the future or are you saying that nyc will always have cheap neighborhoods? i hope the latter is true because we are running out of affordable neighborhoods in this city. anyway, even if the latter is true how many you think we are going to have left? like 5 most likely.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
GDK...what is occuring in Mott Haven, and most other nabes in NYC is NOT gentrification, it is a revitalization. The Bronx, and South Bronx, were always working/middle class communities, and they are being repositioned to that original purpose. The area is being revitalized, and new people are JOINING the current members, NOT displacing them. Sure some people are moving for all sorts or reasons, including somewhere more affordable, but that has always been the case in NYC. The WHOLE city is now being revitalized and safer/more attractive to locals and newbies....and thats the way it should be.
revitalization almost if not always leads to gentrification. when you take a bad neighborhood and fix it up does it not become sought after? yes it does. then the upper middle class start coming to this new sought after neighborhood and.......well you know the rest. williamsburg, hell kitchen, lower east side ect ect. next i guess all of south bronx, right?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
SobroGuy is right on here.My neighborhood in The Bronx ( Pelham Parkway) is like the UN. Large numbers of Albanians who in less than 20 years now own many businesses and big apartment buildings in the neighborhood.We also have Koreans,Pakistanis,Indians,Ghanians,Somalians,Chin ese, Russians,Thais,Cambodians,Mexicans and others.A lot of them now own many of the small businesses in the neighborhood even though they came here in the last 20 years,had nothing when they arrived and couldn't speak English.!
I'm very familiar with your neighborhood Bluedog2 it used to be mostly Italian. Now it is diverse. Your neighborhood is quite beautiful overall. In the spring or early summer my composer friend, and I like to go see the Met Opera's in the park. Very nice family friendly events.

What is so good about your neighborhood, it was well maintained, it hasn't decayed, and it was not gentrified. It has the same economic base it has always had. No wealthier people, or poorer people have moved in. Just different skin tones and languages.

If someone came here with nothing, they have to work themselves up the ladder a bit, before they can move to your neighborhood.

So I am putting a plug in for your neighborhood. But your neighborhood doesn't qualify for the question posted by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City