Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:10 AM

10 posts, read 60,873 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am a 25-year-old working in Manhattan who is looking to move closer to the city. I've heard a lot of great things about Brooklyn and am thinking of renting an apartment there. Are there any neighborhoods that any one would recommend looking into specifically? (I was thinking Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights - I've heard Park Slope is nice but too pricy. I'm looking to rent a decent studio or a 1-bedroom.) Could anyone describe the neighborhoods a bit, and their atmosphere? Also, what sections should I avoid like the plague? I've never been to Brooklyn before and know almost nothing about it. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 08:45 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Ummm definitely take a tour around Brooklyn before you make up your mind. Brooklyn is a very interesting place, if only because the scenery changes completely every other mile. You can go from Italian, Irish, Hassidic Jews, Chinese, Spanish, Black neighborhoods all within a couple of miles.

Most of southern Brooklyn isn't nearly as trendy as Manhattan, so I don't know if its what you're looking for. Out of all of Southern Brooklyn Bay Ridge seems to be the most accomodating place for yuppies. Bay Ridge is also a little bit more built up than are other parts of Southern Brooklyn. Check out the recent thread on Bensonhurst, which is right down 86th st from Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights. You will see both the positives and negatives of a neighborhood like that.

Of course the most popular places to live in Brooklyn currently are neighborhoods like Williamsburg, DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope, however all of these neighborhoods are really pricey. Thats something to keep in mind. The rents in these neighborhoods might only be slightly lower than that of a Manhattan apartment, while the rent in neighborhoods like Bay Ridge will be closer to half of the rent for what you would get in Manhattan.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:52 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
decent affordable neighborhoods in bklyn:
midwood
bay ridge
marine park
georgetown
bensonhurst
gravesend

these neighborhoods have studios and 1 bdrms from about 900 - 1100 a month if you look hard enough and they're safe neighborhoods.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:26 PM

314 posts, read 492,390 times
i live in bay ridge (moved from bensonhurst) and like both neighborhoods. bay ridge is still mostly white. bensonhurst is getting more afro-carib by the minute. true williamsburg (N-7 and bedford area) will cost you an arm and a leg these days. other parts of williamsburg aren't so nice. south williamsburg is very hispanic. east williamsburg is a slum. further east than that (bushwick, east new york, etc.) is land that time forgot. park slope-nice but expensive. prospect park-less nice and less expensive. midwood is ok, nothing to write home about. brooklyn heights is nice but expensive. marine park is still pretty white, as is gerritson beach. both of those are far away from everything, though. sunset park--kind of like south williamsburg, no bueno.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:49 PM
gnu

55 posts, read 250,705 times
straightshooter, how much "less nice" is Prospect Park? I was looking at Ebbetts Field Apartments in particular (Bedford/Empire blvd), has anyone any information about that place? It seems to be a huge complex. I'm in the exact same situation as the OP; I'm planning to look around the area later this month, but I'd like to know where to whittle my search down to.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:04 PM

52 posts, read 217,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
straightshooter, how much "less nice" is Prospect Park? I was looking at Ebbetts Field Apartments in particular (Bedford/Empire blvd), has anyone any information about that place? It seems to be a huge complex. I'm in the exact same situation as the OP; I'm planning to look around the area later this month, but I'd like to know where to whittle my search down to.
No good Gnu. Crime and grime. And loud booming car stereos. Look north of there on the west side of the Park. Prospect Heights is fine, and Fort Greene is good, but getting trendily expensive. Carrol Gardens too expensive now, but try the southern side of Park Slope until Sunset Park.

Avoid the lure of cheap rent. And the craig's list ads lie; if a place says Prospect Heights, make sure it's west of Washington Street. That's the dividing line. Don't be an Urban Pioneer in these Hoods. Even the police get shot here- like the two last night on Lefferts and Rogers.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:12 PM

122 posts, read 790,434 times
Ha, ha. I love that my neighborhood never makes it onto these kinds of threads. Not even the nativest of New Yorkers knows it by name, as shown above. I friggin love my neighborhood.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
gnu

55 posts, read 250,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson99 View Post
No good Gnu. Crime and grime. And loud booming car stereos. Look north of there on the west side of the Park. Prospect Heights is fine, and Fort Greene is good, but getting trendily expensive. Carrol Gardens too expensive now, but try the southern side of Park Slope until Sunset Park.

Avoid the lure of cheap rent. And the craig's list ads lie; if a place says Prospect Heights, make sure it's west of Washington Street. That's the dividing line. Don't be an Urban Pioneer in these Hoods. Even the police get shot here- like the two last night on Lefferts and Rogers.
Awww . Thanks for the information...I guess I was being too hopeful since the rent there is only $950/1 BR. I'll check into those other locations.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 AM

314 posts, read 492,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Go with Jackson99's advice. prospect park isn't as bad as ENY, Brownsville, or Bushwick, but it's no picnic. check bensonhurst. you should be able to find something there for $950/month.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM

10 posts, read 67,740 times
I believe that Bensonhusrt and Dyker Heights are good places to live. Yes there are been some change in the Bensonhusrt are, however, I still believe that this area are safe place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City